SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #395 - 24/06/2024

Question 1: What was the name of the first space station launched into orbit?

Salyut 1 was the world's first space station, launched by the Soviet Union on April 19, 1971. It was the first of a series of Soviet space stations, paving the way for future space exploration and long-term human presence in space.

Question 2: Where did the Chernobyl nuclear disaster occur in 1986?

The Chernobyl nuclear disaster occurred on April 26, 1986, at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in what is now Ukraine. At the time, Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union. The disaster is considered the worst nuclear accident in history.

Question 3: If you are experiencing the "Coriolis effect", what are you likely doing?

The Coriolis effect is the apparent deflection of moving objects, such as water or air, due to the Earth's rotation. It is often said to affect the direction of water flow in toilets, with water spiraling counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere when a toilet is flushed. However, while the Coriolis effect is real, its impact on toilet water flow is actually negligible compared to other factors like the design of the toilet bowl and water jets.

Question 4: What is the most common type of blood?

O positive is the most common blood type, found in about 35% of the population. It is considered the "universal donor" as it can be given to people with any Rh-positive blood type (A+, B+, AB+, O+) without causing a severe reaction.

Question 5: How many Oscars has Leonardo DiCaprio won?

Leonardo DiCaprio won his first and so far only Oscar in 2016 for his leading role in the movie "The Revenant". He had been nominated for an acting Oscar five times before finally winning.

Question 6: Who is credited with developing the theory of relativity?

Albert Einstein is best known for developing the theory of relativity, which fundamentally changed our understanding of space, time, gravity, and the relationship between energy and matter. His work laid the foundation for modern physics.

Question 7: What is the psychological concept of cognitive dissonance?

Cognitive dissonance is the mental stress or discomfort experienced by an individual who holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values at the same time, or is confronted by new information that conflicts with existing beliefs, ideas, or values. This theory was developed by American social psychologist Leon Festinger in the 1950s.

Question 8: Who was the leader of the Soviet Union during World War II?

Joseph Stalin led the Soviet Union from the mid-1920s until his death in 1953. He played a major role in the Allied victory in World War II, despite the huge losses suffered by the Soviet Union during the conflict.

Question 9: Who is considered the first tourist in history?

Cyriacus of Ancona, an Italian merchant and antiquarian who traveled extensively in the Mediterranean region during the 15th century, is often referred to as the first tourist in history. He documented his travels and the ancient ruins he visited, setting the stage for the concept of tourism as we know it today.

Question 10: Who won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her role as June Carter in the 2005 film "Walk the Line"?

Reese Witherspoon's portrayal of June Carter, the second wife of country music legend Johnny Cash, earned her critical acclaim and the Academy Award for Best Actress in 2006. This was Witherspoon's first Oscar win.

You got answers correct

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #395
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩

A couple of deep thinking questions in amongst these this morning…

Cold, dreary, dark and raining in my neck of the woods today….😊😊

I like to go check my wrong answers - so this is what I got for the first tourist -
Herodotus of Halicarnassus is the first known tourist in history. He was a Greek historian and author who described his travels through Asia Minor and the Black Sea in his writings called "The Voyage of the Persian Wars." His observations make him one of the first travel writers and early tourists.

Blue sunny skies today!

Lovely blue skies this morning here and no wind for a change!

Not too bad - it's the best i've done recently :)
Question 5: 🟥
Question 8: 🟩

I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #395
Question 1: 🟥
Question 3: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥
Quest
ion 10: 🟩
Well it is Trivia which, to my reckoning, doesn't make it a test of general knowledge but more of an exercise in recall. Many of the questions are related to topics that I would never read about, eg Kardashians, US Presidents, etc.
Well that's my excuse anyway 😂🤠