SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #392 - 21/06/2024

Question 1: If you wanted to generate electricity from ocean waves, what device would you likely use?

Wave energy converters extract energy directly from surface waves or from pressure fluctuations below the surface. Multiple designs have been researched and tested, including oscillating water columns, point absorbers, oscillating wave surge converters, and more.

Question 2: Where was the bicycle invented?

The first verifiable claim for a practically used bicycle belongs to German Baron Karl von Drais, who invented his "running machine" (Laufmaschine) in 1817. It was the first commercially successful two-wheeled, human-propelled machine, nicknamed the "velocipede" or "dandy horse".

Question 3: What fashion item did Louis Réard introduce in 1946?

Réard named the bikini after the Bikini Atoll nuclear test site in the Pacific, as he believed the revealing swimsuit would create an "explosive" reaction in the fashion world, much like the nuclear tests at Bikini Atoll.

Question 4: What is the most widely grown crop in the world by land area?

Wheat is grown on over 531 million acres (215 million hectares) worldwide, making it the most widely cultivated crop. It is a staple food for many cultures and is used to make bread, pasta, pastries, and other food products.

Question 5: Which famous inventor is credited with creating the first practical telephone?

Bell was granted the first U.S. patent for the telephone in 1876. His early experiments were conducted in Boston and helped launch the telecommunication industry.

Question 6: How many stages are there in Erikson's theory of psychosocial development?

Erikson's theory describes eight stages of psychosocial development that people go through from infancy to late adulthood, with each stage focused on resolving a specific conflict or crisis.

Question 7: Which actor played the character of Jack Dawson in the 1997 film "Titanic"?

Leonardo DiCaprio's portrayal of Jack Dawson opposite Kate Winslet's Rose DeWitt Bukater in "Titanic" catapulted him to international stardom. The film won 11 Academy Awards and was the first movie to gross over $1 billion worldwide.

Question 8: If an ear of corn has an even number of rows, it will always have the same number of rows of kernels. How many rows of kernels does the average ear of corn have?

An ear of corn will always have an even number of rows, typically 16. The number of rows is always an even number because the rows are produced in pairs.

Question 9: Why is myopia more commonly known as nearsightedness?

In an eye with myopia, light focuses in front of the retina instead of directly on it, making distant objects appear blurry. However, close objects still focus properly on the retina, allowing people with myopia to see near objects more clearly.

Question 10: Which former U.S. President won a Grammy Award for Best Spoken Word Album in 2007?

Barack Obama won the 2007 Grammy Award for Best Spoken Word Album for the audio version of his memoir "Dreams from My Father." He also won the same award in 2006 for his book "The Audacity of Hope." Obama is one of only three U.S. Presidents to win a Grammy while in office, along with Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter.

You got answers correct

Reactions: Lunagazer
I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #392
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟥

I’m happy 😊 with 80%…would have been over the moon 🌒 with 100%…but cannot have everything!!
To everyone in the SDC family have an amazing 🤩 weekend ❤️

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #392
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟥
Question 6: 🟥
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥
Quest
ion 10: 🟩

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #392
Q2 As I understand it, German Von Drais invented the 2-wheeled, no-pedals, feet on the ground, velocipede. French Pierre Lallement invented the modern bicycle.

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #392
Question 8: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩

Hooray! I finally got Question 4 correct!

Question 6 - I studied Erikson's theory of psychosocial development about 25 years ago at uni and got it wrong! Bad me!

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #392
Question 1: 🟥
Question 3: 🟥
Quest
ion 10: 🟩
Seems a lot of us struggled with the first few questions today. 🤠

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #392
Question 6: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩 was a case of Eenie, Meenie, Miney Mo ass I don't eat corn, only tell it?

Here we go again, Question Ten?

Jimmy Carter
All of his wins and nominations are in the Best Spoken Word Album Category. The prolific Carter won his first GRAMMY at the 48th ceremony in 2006 for Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis and his most recent for Faith: A Journey for All at the 61st telecast in 2018.19 Feb 2024.

Obuma won in 2007, a whole year after Carter.