SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #338 - 28/04/2024

Question 1: What is the smallest unit of matter that retains the properties of an element?

Atoms are the basic building blocks of ordinary matter. They are made up of protons, neutrons and electrons. When atoms join together, they form molecules. For example, a water molecule is made up of two hydrogen atoms bonded to one oxygen atom.

Question 2: What philosophical theory holds that actions are morally right if they maximize overall happiness or well-being?

Utilitarianism was developed by philosophers Jeremy Bentham and John Stuart Mill. It is a form of consequentialism, which judges the morality of an action based on its outcomes or consequences.

Question 3: Where is the headquarters of the e-commerce giant Amazon located?

Amazon was founded by Jeff Bezos in Bellevue, Washington in 1994. The company's headquarters were later moved to Seattle's South Lake Union neighborhood. As of 2022, Amazon is the largest private employer in the Seattle area.

Question 4: In Greek mythology, who was the Goddess of the rainbow and a messenger to the Gods?

Iris served as the link between humanity and the Gods. She traveled with the speed of the wind from one end of the world to the other and could even descend into the depths of the sea and the underworld.

Question 5: When was the first Grammy Awards ceremony held?

The first Grammy Awards were held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles. 28 awards were presented, honoring artists like Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra and the Kingston Trio for works released in 1958.

Question 6: In the musical "Rent", what is the profession of the character Mark Cohen?

Mark Cohen is one of the main characters in the musical "Rent". He is an aspiring filmmaker who often serves as the narrator of the story, filming the lives of his friends and roommates.

Question 7: Why do astronauts float in space?

Astronauts float in space because they are in a constant state of free fall, orbiting the Earth. While there is gravity in space, the astronauts and their spacecraft are falling towards the Earth at the same rate, giving the appearance of weightlessness.

Question 8: Why does a camel have a hump?

A camel's hump does not store water as is commonly believed. The hump actually stores fat, which can be converted to water and energy when sustenance is not available. A camel can survive up to two weeks without water due to this adaptation.

Question 9: Why was corn flakes invented?

In the late 19th century, John Harvey Kellogg ran a sanitarium and believed that spicy and sweet foods increased sexual desire. He thought a plain, bland diet would curb sexual urges. So he developed corn flakes as a "healthy," anti-aphrodisiac breakfast food.

Question 10: In the comic strip "Peanuts", what is Charlie Brown's younger sister's name?

Sally Brown first appeared in the Peanuts comic strip on August 23, 1959. She is known for calling Charlie Brown "big brother" and having an obsessive love for Linus van Pelt.

You got answers correct

Originally invented as a breakfast food to counter indigestion, it has become a popular food item in the American diet. The cereal, originally made with wheat, was created by Will Kellogg in 1894 for patients at the Battle Creek Sanitarium where he worked with his brother John Kellogg who was the superintendent.

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #338
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩

I’m happy with 90%…
Who would have thought the humble corn flakes could curb sexual urges. mmm
I answered it as B… but obviously sex got in the way!!!

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #338
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩

I’m happy with 90%…
Who would have thought the humble corn flakes could curb sexual urges. mmm
I answered it as B… but obviously sex got in the way!!!
Yes that question got me too 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: Johan van Zalen
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #338
Question 6: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥

I don't like the explanation for Question 7.

Astronauts float in space because they are in a constant state of free fall, orbiting the Earth. While there is gravity in space, the astronauts and their spacecraft are falling towards the Earth at the same rate, giving the appearance of weightlessness.

Floating gives the notion that there is no "upward or downward movement", in other words, no forces are acting on the object. The comes along the dastardly Earth to exert gravity on the object. Hypothetically, an astronaut floating one light year away from the sun would experience totally negligible gravity.

That's my excuse for getting it wrong and I'm sticking to it!