SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #325 - 15/04/2024

Question 1: Who is credited with the development of the first successful polio vaccine?

Jonas Salk developed the first successful polio vaccine in 1952. The vaccine was made publicly available in 1955, and by 1961, the incidence of polio had decreased by over 95% in the United States.

Question 2: Which legendary English outlaw is known for robbing from the rich and giving to the poor?

While there is no conclusive evidence that Robin Hood actually existed, stories about him have been popular since the 15th century. He is typically depicted as a skilled archer and swordsman.

Question 3: Who painted the famous artwork known as "The Starry Night"?

"The Starry Night" is an oil-on-canvas painting created by the Dutch Post-Impressionist painter Vincent van Gogh in 1889. The painting depicts the view from the east-facing window of his asylum room at Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, just before sunrise, with the addition of an imaginary village.

Question 4: What popular TV show featured a fictional coffee shop called Central Perk?

Central Perk was the go-to hangout spot for the six main characters on the sitcom Friends, which aired from 1994 to 2004. The iconic orange couch in Central Perk is now on display at the Warner Bros Studio Tour in Hollywood.

Question 5: In which sport would you perform the Fosbury Flop?

The Fosbury Flop, named after American athlete Dick Fosbury, is a back-first technique used in the high jump event. Fosbury popularized this technique, which revolutionized the sport, when he used it to win the gold medal at the 1968 Olympic Games.

Question 6: In what year did the first animal go into space?

In 1947, fruit flies were launched into space aboard a U.S. V-2 rocket to study the effects of radiation exposure at high altitudes. Later animal spaceflights included a rhesus monkey named Albert II in 1949 and the famous dog Laika in 1957.

Question 7: Why did Prince change his name to an unpronounceable symbol in 1993?

Prince adopted the "Love Symbol" as his stage name from 1993 to 2000 during a dispute with Warner Bros over ownership of his music. The media referred to him as "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince" during this time.

Question 8: Why is deforestation a major environmental concern?

Deforestation is responsible for around 10% of global greenhouse gas emissions. It also destroys the habitats of countless species and disrupts vital ecosystem services provided by forests.

Question 9: What is the official national bird of the United States?

The bald eagle was chosen as the national emblem of the United States in 1782 because of its majestic appearance and representation of freedom, courage and strength. Despite the name, the bald eagle is not actually bald, but has white feathers on its head.

Question 10: Why is the Earth's core hot?

The Earth's core is believed to have a temperature similar to the surface of the Sun, about 5,400°C (9,800°F). This heat is mainly a result of residual heat from the planet's formation about 4.5 billion years ago, as well as heat generated by the radioactive decay of elements like uranium, thorium, and potassium in the Earth's interior.

You got answers correct

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #325
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟥
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

Reactions: Nevertiki
I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #325
Question 1: 🟥
Question 4: 🟥
Question 5: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥
🫤uh oh … heading back to TLC

Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟥
Improvement!!!!

Relatively easy questions today….lots of repeats!!

• Wow
I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #325

I got 4 out of 10 (40%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #325

Reactions: Jo Piper3
Quest
ion 10: 🟥
Started okay then.....
Footnote: Just got 10/10 on the online version. Feeling vindicated now - not a total nong 🤠

Last edited:
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #325

Question 4 - A complete guess as I have never watched ONE episode of any of those shows.

70%.
Yes Cardie, fruitfly are classified as insects.
The fruit flies were launched from White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico as part of a research mission. The unnamed rocket travelled 67 miles into the air before parachuting back to Earth. NASA currently recognises the altitude of 66 miles (100km) as the point where space officially begins. Therefore, the fruit flies are considered the first animals ever to reach the final frontier.