SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #324 - 14/04/2024

Question 1: What is the scientific name for the modern-day horse?

The scientific name Equus caballus was assigned to the modern domesticated horse by Carl Linnaeus in 1758. Przewalski's horse is the only truly wild horse species still in existence.

Question 2: In what year was penicillin first successfully used to treat a patient?

While Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin in 1928, it wasn't successfully used to treat a patient until 1942. The first patient was a 43-year-old policeman with a severe face infection.

Question 3: In what year was the first artificial heart implanted in a human patient?

The first artificial heart was implanted by surgeons at the University of Utah in 1982. The patient, Barney Clark, survived for 112 days after the surgery. This groundbreaking operation paved the way for further advances in artificial heart technology.

Question 4: Which country was the first to put an artificial satellite into orbit?

The Soviet Union launched Sputnik 1, the world's first artificial satellite, on October 4, 1957. This marked the start of the space age and the U.S.-U.S.S.R space race.

Question 5: In which Italian city can Michelangelo's famous sculpture David be found?

The 17-foot marble statue was sculpted by Michelangelo between 1501 and 1504. It is a masterpiece of Renaissance sculpture and is housed in the Galleria dell'Accademia in Florence.

Question 6: In Greek mythology, who flew too close to the sun on wings made of wax and feathers?

According to the myth, Icarus and his father Daedalus attempted to escape from Crete using wings constructed from feathers and wax. Icarus ignored his father's warnings and flew too close to the sun, melting the wax. He fell into the sea and drowned.

Question 7: Where did Dwight D. Eisenhower serve as Supreme Commander during World War II?

As Supreme Commander of the Allied Expeditionary Force, Eisenhower oversaw all Allied operations in Europe, including the famous D-Day invasion of Normandy, France in June 1944 which began the liberation of Western Europe from Nazi Germany's control.

Question 8: In the Harry Potter book series, what is the name of Harry's owl?

Hedwig was a gift to Harry from Hagrid, purchased from Eeylops Owl Emporium. She served as Harry's loyal companion and mail courier throughout most of the series until her tragic death in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Question 9: Who was the last pharaoh of Egypt?

Cleopatra VII Philopator, known simply as Cleopatra, was the last active ruler of the Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt. She ruled from 51 to 30 BC until her death, after which Egypt became a province of the Roman Empire.

Question 10: What is the SI unit of electric current?

The ampere is named after French mathematician and physicist André-Marie Ampère, considered the father of electromagnetism. One ampere is defined as 6.241 × 10^18 electrons (or one coulomb) per second passing through a point in an electric circuit.

You got answers correct

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #324
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟥
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

Reactions: Nevertiki
I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #324
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

The date for #2 did not sit right with my thinking…it was actually 12th February 1941 not 1942, but I chose that answer as it was the closest to my thinking 🤔

I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #324
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟥
Quest
ion 10: 🟥