SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #307 - 28/03/2024

Question 1: Where is the Hubble Space Telescope primarily operated from?

The Hubble Space Telescope is controlled from the ground by the Space Telescope Science Institute and the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland, USA. Although it orbits Earth, it is not operated from any spacecraft or other space-based platform.

Question 2: Which conflict is often referred to as "The War to End All Wars"?

World War I was called "The War to End All Wars" due to its unprecedented scale and devastation. It lasted from 1914 to 1918 and led to significant societal changes and the redrawing of numerous national borders. Unfortunately, this optimistic moniker did not hold true, as World War II occurred just two decades later.

Question 3: What is the softest mineral on Earth?

Talc is the softest mineral on Earth and it has a hardness of 1 on the Mohs hardness scale. Talc is often used in baby powder and as a lubricant.

Question 4: What is the name given to molten rock after it has erupted onto Earth's surface?

Molten rock below the Earth's surface is called magma. Once it erupts onto the surface during a volcanic eruption, it is referred to as lava. Basalt is a type of rock that can form from cooled lava, and tuff is a rock formed from volcanic ash.

Question 5: In which year did the International Criminal Court (ICC) come into existence?

The International Criminal Court was established by a multilateral treaty called the Rome Statute, which was adopted at a diplomatic conference in Rome on July 17, 1998, and entered into force on July 1, 2002. The ICC has the jurisdiction to prosecute individuals for the international crimes of genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes, and the crime of aggression.

Question 6: Which scientist is credited with the invention of the first practical telephone?

Although there was controversy and competition to create the telephone, Alexander Graham Bell was the first to be awarded a patent for it in 1876. He famously made the first call to his assistant, saying, "Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you."

Question 7: Who is considered the father of existentialism?

Søren Kierkegaard was a Danish philosopher in the 19th century who is often regarded as the first existentialist philosopher. His work dealt with themes such as individuality, choice, and the subjective nature of reality.

Question 8: Which superhero is typically associated with the fictional substance "adamantium"?

Adamantium is a virtually indestructible metal alloy in the Marvel Comics universe, most famously used to bond to Wolverine's skeleton and his retractable claws. Wolverine first appeared in 1974 in "The Incredible Hulk" #180.

Question 9: Which author wrote the famous novel "1984"?

"1984" was published in 1949 by English author George Orwell. It is a dystopian social science fiction novel and cautionary tale which presents an imagined future, where society is tyrannized by The Party and its totalitarian ideology. The book has become a classic literary example of political and dystopian fiction.

Question 10: When is Canada Day celebrated?

Canada Day celebrates the anniversary of the July 1, 1867, enactment of the Constitution Act, which united the three separate colonies of the Province of Canada, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick into a single Dominion within the British Empire called Canada.

You got answers correct

I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #307
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟥
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟥
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟥
Aaaaaaaarrrrgh!
🙈

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #307
Question 3: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
😁

Reactions: Nevertiki
Question 10: 🟩

#8..an absolutely lucky 🍀 guess….I know nothing about Superheroes
Enjoy Easter 🐣

I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #307
Question 1: 🟥
Question 8: 🟥

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #307
My equal best! 😁

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch

Question 7 - When in doubt, pick the option you have never heard! Works every time!

Question 10 - It's easy when you have a Canadian born girlfriend!

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #307
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟥
Did not read Q1 correctly,never mind. 😀