SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #297 - 18/03/2024

Question 1: What is the highest score possible with three darts in a game of standard dartboard?

In a standard game of darts, the highest score possible with three darts is 180, achieved by landing all three darts in the triple 20 segment. It is considered a showcase of precision and skill in the game.

Question 2: What is the significance of the year 1984 in literature?

George Orwell's "1984" was published in 1949 and presents a future society under totalitarian rule, with extensive surveillance and the suppression of free will. Its themes remain relevant and it has become synonymous with discussions on government surveillance and personal freedom.

Question 3: What was the first television show ever to be broadcast in color?

The first instance of a television show being broadcast in color was the Tournament of Roses Parade on January 1, 1954. This was a pivotal moment in TV history, paving the way for the future of color broadcasting.

Question 4: Why does Jupiter have several distinct colorful bands?

Jupiter's colorful bands are caused by the differential rotation of its atmosphere. This means different latitudes rotate at slightly different rates. These bands are created by the movement of atmospheric gases and are composed of different compounds, such as ammonia crystals, which give them a range of colors and turbulent storms. The Great Red Spot is one of the most notable features created by these atmospheric conditions.

Question 5: Who was the host of the original "Jeopardy!" when it first aired in 1964?

Art Fleming hosted the original incarnation of "Jeopardy!" which aired from 1964 until 1975. Alex Trebek later became the show's iconic host, starting in 1984 and continuing until his death in 2020.

Question 6: In which city is the Vatican located?

Vatican City is an independent city-state enclaved within Rome, Italy. Established with the Lateran Treaty (1929), it is the smallest state in the world by both area and population. The sovereignty of the Vatican City is held by the Holy See.

Question 7: What is the term for the bending of light as it passes from one medium to another?

Refraction occurs because light travels at different speeds in different media. This effect is responsible for the way a straw appears bent when viewed through a glass of water and is also the principle behind lenses.

Question 8: In what year did the Titanic sink on its maiden voyage?

RMS Titanic struck an iceberg on April 14, 1912, and sank in the early hours of April 15, 1912. The ship was on its way from Southampton to New York City. Over 1,500 passengers and crew lost their lives in the disaster. The sinking of the Titanic is one of the deadliest maritime disasters in history during peacetime and led to significant changes in maritime regulations.

Question 9: Which scientist is credited with inventing the first practical telephone?

Alexander Graham Bell was awarded the first US patent for the invention of the telephone in 1876. Although there was controversy with Elisha Gray about who invented it first, Bell is most widely credited with the invention. Bell's work on the telephone stemmed from his research into ways to improve the telegraph system.

Question 10: In what year was the World Wide Web officially launched?

The World Wide Web was invented by Tim Berners-Lee in 1989 and was officially launched in August 1991. It significantly helped in popularizing the internet among the public and changed the way information is shared and consumed globally.

You got answers correct

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #297
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟥
Question 5: 🟥
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩