SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #295 - 16/03/2024

Question 1: What was the name of the first electronic general-purpose computer?

ENIAC was completed in 1945 and was designed to calculate artillery firing tables for the United States Army's Ballistic Research Laboratory. It was enormous in size and is considered a significant milestone in the development of computing technology. Its construction was led by physicists John Mauchly and J. Presper Eckert at the University of Pennsylvania.

Question 2: Which of these ingredients is commonly used to make the Italian dish Tiramisu?

Tiramisu, a popular Italian dessert, means "pick me up" or "cheer me up" due to its caffeinated components like coffee and sometimes chocolate. The dessert mainly consists of ladyfingers dipped in coffee, layered with a whipped mixture of eggs, sugar, and mascarpone cheese, and flavored with cocoa. Mascarpone, with its smooth and creamy texture, is essential to achieve the rich and indulgent quality of the dish.

Question 3: When was the Kyoto Protocol initially adopted?

The Kyoto Protocol was adopted on December 11, 1997, and entered into force on February 16, 2005. It was an international treaty that commits state parties to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, based on the premise that global warming exists and human-made CO2 emissions have caused it. The protocol was named after Kyoto, Japan, where the negotiations took place.

Question 4: What is the name given to the first ten elements of the periodic table in order?

The first ten elements of the periodic table make up the most fundamental building blocks of matter in the universe. They range from the lightest element, hydrogen, to neon, which is a noble gas. Understanding the properties of these elements is crucial for the study of chemistry.

Question 5: In Christianity, what symbol is often used to represent the Holy Spirit?

The dove is a symbol of peace and purity and in Christianity, it is commonly used to represent the Holy Spirit, especially during stories of the baptism of Jesus Christ where the spirit of God descends like a dove.

Question 6: How many books are there in the Catholic Old Testament?

The Catholic Bible includes 46 books in the Old Testament, which is more than the Protestant Old Testament that typically contains 39 books. This number includes seven deuterocanonical books that are not part of the Protestant canon.

Question 7: In which city did Shakespeare's Globe Theatre originally open?

The Globe Theatre was built in 1599 in London. It was the principal playhouse of the Lord Chamberlain's Men, which was Shakespeare's playing company. The original Globe Theatre tragically burned down in 1613 during a performance of "Henry VIII" when a cannon misfired and ignited the thatched roof.

Question 8: What is the strongest muscle in the human body based on its size?

The masseter muscle, which is used for chewing, has the highest force of contraction by weight. It can close the teeth with a force as great as 55 pounds (25 kilograms) on the incisors or 200 pounds (90.7 kilograms) on the molars.

Question 9: What village in Romania is the Bran Castle, commonly known as "Dracula's Castle," near to?

Bran Castle is located near the village of Bran in Romania and is often marketed as the home of the titular character in Bram Stoker's "Dracula." While Stoker never visited Romania, the castle fits his description, and its ties to the Dracula legend make it a popular tourist destination.

Question 10: What gas is most responsible for trapping heat in the Earth's atmosphere, contributing to the greenhouse effect?

Carbon dioxide, though not the most potent greenhouse gas, is the most significant in terms of human-induced global warming, due to its large volume and the long time it stays in the atmosphere. It is mainly released through natural processes like respiration and volcanic eruptions and through human activities such as deforestation, land use changes, and burning fossil fuels.

You got answers correct

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #295
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟥
Question 5: 🟥
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩
Drat. Fell for the Bran Castle in Bran being too obvious. Crafty Jonathan!

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #295
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩

Good mix of questions for everyone today…a few repeats, more religion.
I’m happy with question #4 favourite subject, chemistry 🧪
😊😊😊

Last edited:
Reactions: magpie1
I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #295
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟥
Question 6: 🟥

Question 9: 🟩
😁

Question 3: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥
Not much better than yesterday 🤪

Question 4: 🟥
Question 5: 🟥

Question 8: 🟩
Bugger! Misread question 6, included all books of bible, instead of just old testament..

Thnk you Daniel Radcliffe for the answer to the element questions I just watch him sing the song about them had to go look and see if they were in order

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #295
Question 2: 🟥