SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #293 - 14/03/2024

Question 1: How is the creature known as the "Bunyip" described in Australian Aboriginal folklore?

Bunyip is a creature from Australian Aboriginal mythology said to lurk in swamps, billabongs, creeks, riverbeds, and waterholes. Bunyip have been variously described in accounts. While its physical appearance is debated, it is often described as a ferocious creature lurking in the water. Aboriginal accounts often suggest a link with the spirit world and emphasize its role as a cultural enforcer.

Question 2: What architectural style is characterized by pointed arches, ribbed vaults, and flying buttresses?

The Gothic style originated in 12th-century France and is most prominently recognized in many of Europe's cathedrals, abbeys, and churches. Its design allowed for taller, more graceful buildings and expansive use of stained glass.

Question 3: Where was the Terracotta Army discovered?

The Terracotta Army was discovered in 1974 by local farmers near the city of Xi'an, Shaanxi province. The sculptures depict the armies of Qin Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China, and they were meant to protect him in his afterlife. The site dates back to approximately 210 BCE.

Question 4: Which Shakespeare play features a brooding Danish prince?

Hamlet is one of William Shakespeare's most famous tragedies and tells the story of a prince who seeks revenge against his uncle, who has murdered his father, taken the throne, and married his mother. The play is well known for the soliloquy featuring the phrase "To be, or not to be."

Question 5: How many days does the famous festival of Diwali last?

Diwali, known as the Festival of Lights, is an important religious festival originating in India and celebrated by Hindus, Sikhs, Jains, and some Buddhists. The festival symbolizes the spiritual victory of light over darkness, good over evil, and knowledge over ignorance. Diwali usually occurs between mid-October and mid-November each year, depending on the lunar calendar.

Question 6: What is the process by which legumes can fix nitrogen from the atmosphere?

Nitrogen fixation is the process by which certain plants, such as legumes, house nitrogen-fixing bacteria in special structures called nodules on their roots. These bacteria convert atmospheric nitrogen (N2) into ammonia (NH3), which can be used by the plant for growth. This is a key part of the nitrogen cycle and helps enrich the soil with nitrogen, reducing the need for artificial fertilizers.

Question 7: Which Shakespeare play features the quote "To be, or not to be, that is the question"?

This famous soliloquy is from Act 3, Scene 1 of Hamlet. The character Hamlet is contemplating life and death, and this line has become one of the most quoted in the English language. The play was likely written around 1600 and is one of William Shakespeare's most popular works.

Question 8: Which actor played the fourth Doctor in the television series "Doctor Who"?

Tom Baker portrayed the fourth incarnation of the Doctor from 1974 to 1981, making him the longest-serving actor in the role on the televised series. His portrayal is one of the most iconic and beloved by fans of the series.

Question 9: What is the term for theft from a person's home?

Burglary typically involves unauthorised entry into a building with the intent to commit a crime, usually theft. It distinguishes itself from robbery, which involves the use of force or intimidation, and from larceny or embezzlement, which do not necessarily involve trespassing on property.

Question 10: Which classical composer became deaf later in life?

Beethoven's hearing began to deteriorate in his late 20s or early 30s and it progressed over time. Despite his severe hearing loss, he continued to compose masterpieces, including some of his most famous works like the Ninth Symphony.

You got answers correct

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #293
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟥
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

Reactions: Bullwinkle
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟩
Question 5: 🟥
Question 6: 🟩
Nearly made it. Dratted dancing and spirits tripped me up. 🙄

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #293
Question 7: 🟥
aT LEAST AN IMPROVEMENT.

I got 10 out of 10 (100%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #293

Plenty of repeated questions…that always
helps..
Tom Baker was definitely my favourite Doctor Who…

Last edited:
Reactions: Veggiepatch

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #293
Question 8: 🟥

Reactions: Jo Piper3
I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #293
Question 4: 🟥
Question 10: 🟥

Reactions: steelo5
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #293

Reactions: steelo5

Plenty of repeated questions…that always
helps..
Tom Baker was definitely my favourite Dr. Who!!!
WHO.

Question 4: 🟥
Question 10: 🟥
Hamlet is up their with Who not fond of either.

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #293