SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #291 - 12/03/2024

Question 1: Which television show is known for the iconic phrase "Winter is coming"?

"Winter is coming" is the motto of House Stark, one of the Great Houses of Westeros in the hit HBO series "Game of Thrones." The phrase signifies constant vigilance and the Stark family's position in the North, where winters are harsh and can last for years.

Question 2: What name is given to a person who witnesses something and testifies in court?

The term "witness" refers to someone who gives evidence to the court about what they have seen, heard, or otherwise experienced. Witnesses can be crucial in both criminal and civil trials, providing firsthand accounts that may confirm or dispute the matters at issue in the case.

Question 3: What is the largest flower in the world?

The Rafflesia arnoldii produces the largest individual flower in the world. A single bloom can measure up to 3 feet (1 meter) across and weigh up to 24 pounds (11 kilograms). Rafflesia is parasitic and has no visible leaves, roots, or stem, making its giant flowers all the more striking.

Question 4: What concept in physics defines the quantity of motion of a moving body, measured as a product of its mass and velocity?

Momentum is a fundamental concept in physics and is conserved in isolated systems, a principle known as the conservation of momentum. It is an important quantity because it is conserved in systems where there are no external forces acting, which helps physicists understand and predict the result of collisions and interactions.

Question 5: What phenomenon explains why we see the sky as blue during the day?

Rayleigh scattering occurs when molecules and small particles in the Earth's atmosphere scatter sunlight in different directions. Blue light is scattered more than other colors because it travels as shorter, smaller waves, which is why we see a blue sky most of the time.

Question 6: What is the symbol for the chemical element gold?

The symbol 'Au' comes from the Latin name for gold, 'aurum', which means "shining dawn" or "glow of sunrise." Gold is a highly sought-after metal for its beauty, electrical conductivity, and resistance to corrosion, and has been used for coinage, jewelry, and other arts throughout recorded history.

Question 7: In what year was the World Wide Web (WWW) invented?

The World Wide Web was invented in 1989 by Sir Tim Berners-Lee, a British computer scientist. He created the first web server and wrote the first web browser in 1990 while employed at CERN in Geneva, Switzerland.

Question 8: Who first proposed the theory of relativity?

Albert Einstein published his theory of special relativity in 1905 and general relativity in 1915. These theories revolutionized the way we understand space, time, and gravity.

Question 9: Which television show won the first Emmy Award for Outstanding Drama Series in 1951?

"Pulitzer Prize Playhouse" was an anthology television series which offered adaptations of Pulitzer Prize-winning plays, novels, and stories. This show is not as well remembered today as some other classic shows, but it has its place in television history for winning the very first Emmy in the drama category.

Question 10: When was Queen Elizabeth II born?

Queen Elizabeth II was born on April 21, 1926, in London. She was the first child of the Duke and Duchess of York, who later became King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother). She ascended to the throne in 1952 following the death of her father.

You got answers correct

Reactions: Johnnie boy
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #291
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟥
Question 5: 🟥
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥