SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #288 - 09/03/2024

Question 1: Which gas is the primary component of natural gas?

Methane is the principal component of natural gas, making up about 70-90% of natural gas. It is a potent greenhouse gas with a significant impact on global warming. Its chemical formula is CH4.

Question 2: Where is the fictional city of Metropolis, home to Superman, located?

While the exact location of Metropolis has varied over different stories and adaptations, it is most often depicted as a major city in the American Midwest. It is seen as an analogue to real-world New York City, with some portrayals situating it in the state of Delaware, and others in New York or Illinois. Metropolis first appeared in Action Comics #16 in 1939.

Question 3: What painting technique is characterized by small, thin, yet visible brush strokes and an emphasis on the changing qualities of light?

Impressionism is an art movement that emerged in the 19th century, mainly in France. Artists like Claude Monet and Edgar Degas used this technique to capture their immediate impressions of a scene, particularly the effects of light and color.

Question 4: How many Tony Awards has the musical "Hamilton" won?

"Hamilton" won 11 Tony Awards in 2016, including Best Musical. It was nominated for a record-setting 16 categories. Lin-Manuel Miranda's musical is a hip-hop-infused retelling of American Founding Father Alexander Hamilton's life.

Question 5: What is the name of the theoretical boundary around a black hole beyond which no light or other radiation can escape?

The event horizon is the "point of no return" around a black hole. It's not a physical surface but rather an imaginary boundary. Once crossed, the escape velocity required to overcome the black hole's gravity exceeds the speed of light, which is why no light can escape from it.

Question 6: Where was the Berlin Wall, a symbol of the Cold War, located?

The Berlin Wall was constructed in 1961 to separate East and West Berlin. It stood until 1989 and its fall is often seen as a key event leading to the end of the Cold War. The wall served as the most prominent symbol of the ideological divide between the communist East and the capitalist West.

Question 7: Where is the fictional city of Metropolis, home to Superman, said to be located?

Metropolis is often depicted as a massive cityscape in the United States with features reminiscent of major cities such as New York City and Chicago. Superman, or Clark Kent, works at the newspaper 'The Daily Planet' located in Metropolis. The exact location of Metropolis has varied throughout the character's long history, but it is generally portrayed as a bustling metropolis on the Eastern Coast of the United States.

Question 8: Where is the "fight or flight" response initiated in the body?

The amygdala is an almond-shaped set of neurons located deep in the brain's medial temporal lobe. It is known for its role in processing emotions and is pivotal in triggering the "fight or flight" response when confronted with a threat. This response is part of our survival mechanism, allowing an organism to react quickly to life-threatening situations.

Question 9: Who received the first U.S. patent for the telephone?

Bell was awarded the patent on March 7, 1876. His patent application beat Elisha Gray's by only a few hours. The controversy around this race for the patent led to numerous legal battles.

Question 10: What was the primary cause of World War I?

The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary by a Serbian nationalist in Sarajevo on June 28, 1914, set off a chain reaction of events that led to the outbreak of World War I a month later. This event triggered a system of alliances that entangled many nations into the conflict.

You got answers correct

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #288
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟥
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

Reactions: cardie
I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #288
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #288
Question 5: 🟥

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #288
Question 2: 🟥
Question 10: green

Not sure what happened to the green box for question 10!!!!

Seems as though 80% is my lot again today

Reactions: steelo5 and cardie
I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #288
😁

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #288
Question 4: 🟥

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #288
Thanks. :)

It’s okay tomorrow’s another day and the sun will still rise and still set, no matter what 😊😊

Last edited:
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #288