SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #285 - 06/03/2024

Question 1: Why do apple farmers sometimes use a technique called "girdling" on their trees?

Girdling, also known as ring barking, is a practice where a strip of bark is removed from around the entire circumference of a tree or branch. It disrupts the flow of nutrients and hormones that move down the tree's phloem, encouraging the tree to produce larger fruit and enhance fruit quality. However, this practice can be risky as it may weaken or kill the tree if not done correctly.

Question 2: What was the main reason for the outbreak of World War I?

The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary by a Serbian nationalist in Sarajevo on June 28, 1914, set off a chain reaction of alliances and rivalries that led to the outbreak of World War I. This event is widely regarded as the immediate spark that ignited the war, although underlying tensions such as nationalism, militarism, and complex alliances had been brewing for years.

Question 3: The process by which carbon dioxide passes from the atmosphere to plants and then to animals and soils is known as what?

The Carbon Cycle is a complex series of processes through which all of the carbon atoms in existence rotate. The same carbon atoms in your body today have been used in countless other molecules since time began. The carbon cycle continues to serve as the pathway for energy and carbon throughout the Earth's ecosystems.

Question 4: If you encounter a plant called "Nepenthes," what type of plant have you found?

Nepenthes, also known as pitcher plants, are a genus of carnivorous plants that trap insects and other prey in their slippery pitcher-shaped leaves filled with digestive fluid. They are found in nutrient-poor environments, which is why they have evolved to obtain nutrients from digesting insects.

Question 5: Which French fashion designer is known for the introduction of the "Little Black Dress"?

Coco Chanel revolutionized women's fashion and introduced the "Little Black Dress" in the 1920s. She believed in creating comfortable, practical clothes for women, which was a departure from the restrictive and elaborate styles of the time. The Little Black Dress has since become a staple piece in women's wardrobes worldwide.

Question 6: Why was the Hubble Space Telescope named after Edwin Hubble?

The Hubble Space Telescope was named in honor of Edwin Hubble who made profound contributions to astronomy, including the discovery that the universe is expanding, which provided the foundation for the Big Bang theory. The telescope was launched into space on April 24, 1990, aboard the Space Shuttle Discovery.

Question 7: Who wrote the play "A Doll's House"?

Henrik Ibsen was a Norwegian playwright known for his significant contribution to realism in theatre. "A Doll's House," first performed in 1879, is a groundbreaking work that challenges the traditional roles of men and women in 19th-century marriage.

Question 8: Which animal is a national symbol of Canada?

The beaver became an official symbol of Canada in 1975. Its fur trade in the 17th and 18th centuries played a significant role in the economic development of the country, earning it a place on the Canadian nickel and as the national animal.

Question 9: If you were to plant the seed of a Red Delicious apple, what would likely grow?

Apple trees grown from seeds tend to produce fruit that is different from their parent due to the genetic variation in the seeds. So, if you plant a Red Delicious apple seed, you will probably get an apple tree that produces apples unlike Red Delicious. Commercial apple trees are usually propagated by grafting to ensure consistency in the fruit's characteristics.

Question 10: Which company introduced the first mass-produced hybrid car?

Toyota introduced the Prius in 1997 in Japan and it was available worldwide by 2000. The Prius is widely considered the first mass-produced hybrid vehicle, and it has played a significant role in popularizing hybrid technology.

You got answers correct

I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #285
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟥
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟥
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟥