SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #284 - 05/03/2024

Question 1: In Arthurian legend, who pulled the sword from the stone?

King Arthur is a legendary British leader who, according to medieval histories and romances, led the defense against Saxon invaders in the late 5th and early 6th centuries. The tale of Arthur pulling the sword from the stone, which signified his right to the throne, originated in Robert de Boron’s poem "Merlin," which was written around 1200 AD.

Question 2: In what country did the Esperanto language originate?

Esperanto was created in the late 19th century by L. L. Zamenhof, a Polish-Jewish ophthalmologist. He intended for Esperanto to be a universal second language that would foster peace and international understanding.

Question 3: What film won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1994?

The 67th Academy Awards recognized "Forrest Gump" as the Best Picture of 1994. The film competed with "Pulp Fiction" and "The Shawshank Redemption," two other highly acclaimed movies from that year. "Jurassic Park," while a commercial success, was released the previous year in 1993 and was not nominated for Best Picture.

Question 4: What is the largest carnival celebration in the world?

The Carnival in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, is famous for its samba schools' parades, elaborate costumes, and massive street parties. The event typically attracts millions of participants and spectators from around the world.

Question 5: What is the gestation period of an African elephant?

The gestation period of an African elephant is the longest of any land animal, lasting about 22 months. After birth, an elephant calf can weigh as much as 120 kilograms (264 pounds).

Question 6: What is the medical term for the condition commonly known as a heart attack?

The term "myocardial infarction" comes from "myo" meaning muscle, "cardial" relating to the heart, and "infarction" meaning the death of tissue due to the lack of blood supply. This condition occurs when blood flow to part of the heart is blocked, typically by a blood clot, causing damage to the heart muscle.

Question 7: What is the most widely planted grape for making wine worldwide?

Cabernet Sauvignon is known for its concentration and longevity. It is grown in nearly every major wine-producing country among a diverse spectrum of climates from Canada's Okanagan Valley to Lebanon's Beqaa Valley. It became internationally recognized through its prominence in Bordeaux wines where it is often blended with Merlot and Cabernet Franc.

Question 8: Where was famous playwright William Shakespeare born?

William Shakespeare was born in Stratford-upon-Avon in 1564. Often referred to as England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon," his extant works include some 39 plays, 154 sonnets, and two long narrative poems.

Question 9: Who is traditionally credited as the creator of the comic book superhero Superman?

While there have been numerous contributors to the Superman mythos over the years, the character was originally created by writer Jerry Siegel and artist Joe Shuster. Superman first appeared in Action Comics #1 in 1938 and is considered the archetype of the modern superhero.

Question 10: The process by which plants create energy from sunlight is known as what?

Photosynthesis is the process by which green plants, algae, and some bacteria use sunlight to synthesize foods from carbon dioxide and water. It is crucial for life on Earth, as it enables plants to create organic materials that are the basis for most food chains.

You got answers correct

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #284
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩