SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #274 - 24/02/2024

Question 1: What astronomical term is used to describe the two times of the year when the Sun is farthest from the celestial equator?

The solstices occur twice a year around December 21 and June 21, when the Sun reaches its most northern and most southern points in the sky, resulting in the longest and shortest days of the year, respectively.

Question 2: If you're at a Broadway show and the cast performs the iconic song "Defying Gravity," what musical are you watching?

"Defying Gravity" is one of the most well-known songs from the musical "Wicked," which premiered on Broadway in 2003. The song is sung by the character Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West.

Question 3: In what medium does sound travel the fastest?

Sound waves move at varying speeds through different media, depending on the density and elasticity of the medium. They travel faster through solids than liquids and gases. In steel, sound can travel around 5,960 meters per second, much faster than in air (343 meters per second at 20°C). Sound does not travel in a vacuum because there's no medium to convey the sound waves.

Question 4: Which actor is known for portraying the character Captain Jack Sparrow in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie series?

Johnny Depp's portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow is iconic and has been widely praised for its originality and humor. Depp's performance earned him an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor for the first film in the series.

Question 5: Who discovered the Tutankhamun tomb in Egypt?

Howard Carter discovered the intact tomb of the 18th Dynasty Pharaoh, Tutankhamun, in November 1922, with the backing of his financial sponsor Lord Carnarvon. This was one of the most significant archaeological discoveries in the modern era because the tomb was largely undisturbed.

Question 6: What disease is characterized by insulin resistance or deficiency?

Diabetes Mellitus is a group of metabolic disorders characterized by a high level of glucose in the blood, either because insulin production is inadequate or because the body's cells do not respond properly to insulin, or both. There are two main types: Type 1 diabetes, which involves an absolute insulin deficiency, and Type 2 diabetes, which involves insulin resistance with varying degrees of insulin secretory defects.

Question 7: Which work is considered to be the first musical?

"The Black Crook" premiered in 1866 in New York and is often considered to be the first piece of musical theatre that conforms to the modern notion of a "musical." The production came about when a dramatic group and a Parisian ballet troupe combined their talents.

Question 8: Who is considered to be the father of the computer?

Charles Babbage was an English mathematician, philosopher, inventor, and mechanical engineer who originated the concept of a programmable computer. Parts of his uncompleted mechanisms are on display at the Science Museum in London.

Question 9: What is the name given to a small handbag with no straps or handles, often used at formal events?

A clutch is a small, flat handbag without handles or straps, typically carried in the hand or under the arm. It's often associated with formal wear and evening events. Clutches come in various styles and materials, from simple and elegant designs to intricate beaded or sequined patterns.

Question 10: The phrase "carpe diem" originates from what language?

"Carpe diem" is a Latin aphorism, usually translated as "seize the day". It is part of the longer phrase "carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero" which can be translated as "seize the day, putting as little trust as possible in the future." It is often used to encourage someone to make the most of the present rather than deferring things to a later date. The phrase was popularized by the Roman poet Horace in his work Odes (23 BC).

You got answers correct

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #274
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩