SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #273 - 23/02/2024

Question 1: In which war did the Battle of Waterloo take place?

The Battle of Waterloo, fought on June 18, 1815, marked the final defeat of French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte. It effectively ended his rule as Emperor of the French and marked the end of his Hundred Days return from exile. The battle took place near Waterloo in present-day Belgium.

Question 2: Which physicist is accredited with developing the theory of general relativity?

Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity, published in 1915, describes gravitation as the warping of space and time by mass and energy, fundamentally changing our understanding of gravity from Newton's gravitational force.

Question 3: Who discovered the vaccine for polio?

Dr. Jonas Salk announced the vaccine for poliomyelitis on April 12, 1955. Unlike the vaccines for other diseases, which utilized weakened versions of the virus, Salk's polio vaccine used killed poliovirus to stimulate immunity. It was an immense breakthrough and significantly reduced the incidence of polio around the world.

Question 4: When did the United Kingdom formally leave the European Union?

The United Kingdom formally left the European Union at 11 pm GMT on January 31, 2020, an event commonly referred to as Brexit. June 23, 2016, was the day of the referendum, March 29, 2019, was the original exit date set by Article 50, and December 31, 2020, marked the end of the transition period.

Question 5: Who wrote the science fiction novel "Dune"?

Frank Herbert's "Dune" is often considered one of the greatest science fiction novels ever written. It was first published in 1965 and is known for its complex characters, intricate plot, and rich world-building. The novel has had a significant impact on the genre and has led to multiple adaptations, including films and video games.

Question 6: When was Pluto reclassified from a planet to a dwarf planet?

The International Astronomical Union (IAU) redefined the criteria for what constitutes a planet in 2006, leading to Pluto being reclassified as a dwarf planet. This decision was based on the fact that Pluto does not clear its neighboring region of other objects.

Question 7: Which country is the largest producer of coffee in the world?

Brazil has been the world's largest producer of coffee for over 150 years. It produces about a third of all coffee, thanks to its vast size and variety of landscapes, including areas with ideal coffee-growing temperatures and precipitation.

Question 8: Where did the fashion trend of wearing jeans originate?

Jeans trace back to the 1870s in the United States where they were originally worn by cowboys and miners. Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis patented the first blue jeans in 1873.

Question 9: What is the term used to describe the variety of life in a particular habitat?

Biodiversity refers not only to the variety of species within a particular ecosystem but also to genetic diversity and the diversity of ecosystems themselves. It's critical for the resilience and health of the natural environment and is vital for ecosystem services which benefit humanity.

Question 10: The most widely celebrated national holiday that marks a country's independence is often referred to by what name?

Independence Day celebrations are common in countries that have gained sovereignty from another state. The United States' Independence Day, commonly known as the Fourth of July, is one of the most famous examples, commemorating the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776.

You got answers correct

I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #273
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟥
Question 5: 🟥
Question 6: 🟥
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩