SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #254 - 04/02/2024

Question 1: How many times has the British Parliament been fully suspended since 1945?

The British Parliament has been fully suspended or prorogued four times since 1945. These instances occurred in varied contexts, including general elections and for political maneuvering, such as when Prime Minister Boris Johnson controversially prorogued Parliament in 2019 but was later deemed unlawful by the Supreme Court.

Question 2: Where does the legendary creature the Loch Ness Monster supposedly reside?

The Loch Ness Monster, or "Nessie," is a cryptid that is reputed to inhabit Loch Ness in the Scottish Highlands. The first recorded sighting of Nessie dates back to 565 AD, and the legend has since become a part of Scottish folklore. Nessie is often described as being large in size with a long neck and one or more humps protruding from the water.

Question 3: Who became the youngest self-made billionaire?

Kylie Jenner was declared the youngest self-made billionaire by Forbes in 2019 at the age of 21. She amassed her fortune through her cosmetics company, Kylie Cosmetics, largely by leveraging her considerable social media following. However, in May 2020, Forbes released a statement alleging that Jenner's wealth was exaggerated and that she is not a billionaire.

Question 4: In what year was the first successful vaccine for Polio announced?

Dr. Jonas Salk developed the first successful polio vaccine, with its effectiveness being announced on April 12, 1955. Polio was a feared disease that could cause paralysis and death until the vaccine brought the promise of eradication.

Question 5: The "Mona Lisa" was created by which artist?

The "Mona Lisa" is a 16th-century portrait painted by Leonardo da Vinci during the Renaissance. It is currently housed in the Louvre Museum in Paris, and is famous for its enigmatic smile.

Question 6: What is the highest-selling novel of all time?

"Don Quixote" by Miguel de Cervantes is often considered the highest-selling novel of all time. While it's nearly impossible to determine the exact number of copies sold, it has been widely translated and continuously in print since it was first published in the early 17th century.

Question 7: Which ancient empire was ruled by Cyrus the Great?

Cyrus the Great founded the Achaemenid Empire, also known as the First Persian Empire, around 550 BCE. It eventually became one of the largest empires in history, stretching from the Balkans and Eastern Europe in the west to the Indus Valley in the east.

Question 8: What is the term for the dialogue spoken by an actor directly to the audience without the other characters hearing it?

An aside is a dramatic device used in theatre where a character speaks directly to the audience to reveal thoughts or feelings. This type of dialogue is not heard by the other characters on stage, providing a glimpse into the speaking character's mind.

Question 9: Who composed the opera "Don Giovanni"?

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's "Don Giovanni" is one of the most performed operas worldwide. It premiered on October 29, 1787, in Prague, and it's famous for its blend of serious and comic themes as well as its engaging music. Mozart collaborated with librettist Lorenzo Da Ponte for this opera, and they created a compelling tale based on the legend of Don Juan.

Question 10: What is the name of the longest-running Broadway show?

The Phantom of the Opera, with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, premiered in London in 1986 and on Broadway in 1988. It became the longest-running show in Broadway history in 2006 and, as of 2023, still holds that record.

You got answers correct

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #254
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟥
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩
😁

Reactions: cardie
I got 4 out of 10 (40%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #254
Question 1: 🟥
Question 3: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥

Reactions: magpie1 and cardie
Cyrus the Great of the Achaemenid Empire? I suppose if one was an ancient historian....

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #254
Question 1: 🟩
Question 7: 🟥
Wow! I really outdid myself! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: magpie1 and cardie
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #254
Question 9: 🟩

I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #254...another bad day!! I always put English and it's Mandarin Chinese, will I never learn?
Question 8: 🟥

Reactions: steelo5 and magpie1
I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #254