SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #251 - 01/02/2024

Question 1: Which television series featured a time-traveling alien called The Doctor?

Doctor Who is a British science fiction series that first aired in 1963. The show centers around the adventures of The Doctor, an extraterrestrial Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey who explores the universe in the TARDIS, a time-traveling spaceship that looks like a British police box on the outside.

Question 2: If you suffer from triskaidekaphobia, which number are you afraid of?

Triskaidekaphobia is derived from the Greek words "tris" meaning three, "kai" meaning and, "deka" meaning ten, together with "phobia" meaning fear. The fear of the number 13 has various origins, but it is commonly related to superstition and has influenced some buildings to omit the 13th floor from their numbering system.

Question 3: Who is said to have led a band of merry outlaws in Sherwood Forest in English folklore?

Robin Hood is a legendary figure in English folklore, often depicted as "robbing from the rich and giving to the poor." Stories of Robin Hood have been told since the medieval period, although it is unclear if he was based on a real person. The character of Guy of Gisbourne, on the other hand, is one of Robin Hood's enemies within these legends.

Question 4: What was the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth?

Sputnik 1 was launched by the Soviet Union on October 4, 1957. This event marked the beginning of the space age and started the U.S.-Soviet space race. Sputnik was a 58cm diameter polished metal sphere, and its launch into an elliptical Earth orbit was tracked worldwide.

Question 5: What grain is considered to be the staple food for a large part of the world's human population, especially in Asia?

Rice is the principal food for over half of the world's population. There are many varieties of rice and it can be grown in different environmental conditions. It is particularly prevalent in Asian diets, where it is a fundamental part of many cultures' cuisine and agriculture.

Question 6: The scientific principle that every action has an equal and opposite reaction is known as what?

Newton's Third Law of Motion is one of the three laws of motion as formulated by Sir Isaac Newton in 1687. It underlies many phenomena in physics and is foundational for understanding the mechanics of how forces interact.

Question 7: Where is the Sea of Tranquility located?

The Sea of Tranquility, known as "Mare Tranquillitatis" in Latin, is a lunar mare that sits within the Tranquillitatis basin on the Moon. This was the site of the first lunar landing by Apollo 11 on July 20, 1969.

Question 8: Which fruit is known for having its seeds on the outside?

Unlike most other fruits, the strawberry's seeds are embedded on the outside of the flesh. Each strawberry has around 200 seeds on its surface. The fruit is unique not just because of its seed position but also because it's a member of the rose family.

Question 9: Which gas is the primary contributor to acid rain?

Sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) are the primary causes of acid rain. When these gases are released into the atmosphere, they can be carried over long distances by wind and air currents. When SO2 and NOx react with water, oxygen, and other chemicals in the atmosphere, they form acidic compounds that can fall to earth as rain, snow, fog, or dust.

Question 10: What animal is the national emblem of Australia?

The kangaroo is one of the national symbols of Australia, often depicted alongside the emu on the Australian Coat of Arms. The choice of these two animals is symbolic as neither the kangaroo nor the emu can move backward easily, reflecting a nation moving forward.

You got answers correct

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #251
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩

Question 4: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥
Finally I'm up there with the rest of you smarties. hahaha.

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #251
Question 4: 🟥
Question 6: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩