SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #250 - 31/01/2024

Question 1: In Hinduism, who is the god of destruction and transformation?

Shiva is one of the principal deities of Hinduism, known as "The Destroyer" within the Trimurti, the Hindu trinity that includes Brahma and Vishnu. In Shaivism tradition, Shiva is the Supreme being who creates, protects, and transforms the universe.

Question 2: Who was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize?

Marie Curie received the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1903, along with her husband Pierre Curie and Henri Becquerel, for their work on radioactivity. Later, in 1911, she won a second Nobel Prize, this time in Chemistry, for her discovery of the elements radium and polonium. She remains the only person to have won Nobel Prizes in two different scientific fields.

Question 3: In which year was the original "Jurassic Park" film released?

"Jurassic Park" is a landmark in the use of computer-generated imagery, and its dinosaurs spectacularly came to life on screens in 1993. Directed by Steven Spielberg, the film is based on the 1990 novel of the same name by Michael Crichton.

Question 4: How many moons does Mars have?

Mars has two small moons named Phobos and Deimos. Both were discovered in 1877 by American astronomer Asaph Hall and are thought to be captured asteroids.

Question 5: Who was awarded the first Nobel Prize in Literature?

Sully Prudhomme, a French poet and essayist, was awarded the first Nobel Prize in Literature in 1901. The prize was given "in special recognition of his poetic composition, which gives evidence of lofty idealism, artistic perfection and a rare combination of the qualities of both heart and intellect."

Question 6: What is the term for a market structure where one company has the exclusive control over a product or service?

A monopoly occurs when a single company or group owns all or nearly all of the market for a given type of product or service. This dominance often results in less competition and can lead to the production of less innovative products and services, poorer customer service, and higher prices.

Question 7: If a group of lions is called a pride, what is a group of crows known as?

The term "murder" for a group of crows originates from folklore and superstition which often portrays crows as omens of death. This has contributed to the eerie and somewhat poetic name for a gathering of these birds.

Question 8: Which element is known as the "King of the Chemicals"?

Sulfuric acid, often referred to as the "King of the Chemicals," is widely used in the chemical industry for processes such as the production of fertilizers, mineral processing, and battery acid. It's also a key substance in the chemical synthesis of many other materials.

Question 9: The Margherita pizza is named after what or whom?

The Margherita pizza was created in 1889 by chef Raffaele Esposito in Naples and was named after Queen Margherita of Savoy after she expressed her liking for it. The toppings, tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil, represent the colors of the Italian flag.

Question 10: The process of training and pruning plants to grow in a flat plane against a support is known as what?

Espalier is a horticultural technique that controls woody plant growth for the production of fruit, to produce a higher quality of fruit within arm's reach, and as an aesthetic practice. It is particularly effective in smaller gardens where space is limited, and it originated in Europe to promote fruit tree growth against walls.

You got answers correct

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #250
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟥
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #250
Question 10: 🟥

Question 3: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩

I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #250
Question 1: 🟥
Should have scored better than 5,oh well s--t happens. 😀

Hello, fellow Fours!

I got 4 out of 10 (40%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #250
Question 7: 🟥

I kid you not, I misread 'crows' as 'cows'. Is anyone else wondering what a murder of cows looks like?

Reactions: magpie1
Well I managed to get my usual lousy 4 again.....honestly I'm jinxed with this number.....however it appears that there is a lot more joining the LOSERS club today.....welcome aboard folks, hope that your stay is short. 😂😉

Reactions: steelo5
Question 1: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩