SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #238 - 19/01/2024

Question 1: Which holiday is known for featuring elaborate parades, masks, and the saying, "Throw me something, mister!"?

Mardi Gras, particularly in New Orleans, is famous for its parades where attendees shout "Throw me something, mister!" to parade float riders, hoping to catch beads and other trinkets. The tradition of throwing beads dates back to the early 1900s.

Question 2: Which play is considered to be Shakespeare's longest?

Hamlet typically has over 4,000 lines and can take up to four hours to perform. It includes the famous soliloquy that begins with "To be, or not to be."

Question 3: Who is recognized as inventing the World Wide Web?

The World Wide Web was invented by Tim Berners-Lee in 1989 while working at CERN. The web was initially conceived and developed to meet the demand for information-sharing between physicists in universities and institutes around the world.

Question 4: In Christianity, what is the season of preparation for Easter called?

Lent is a period of 40 days which comes before Easter in the Christian calendar. It's dedicted to fasting, repentance, moderation, and spiritual discipline to prepare for Easter. Lent traditionally represents the 40 days Jesus spent fasting in the wilderness.

Question 5: What year was the miniskirt first popularized?

The miniskirt is often attributed to designer Mary Quant, who popularized it in the 1960s. Its introduction was seen as a symbol of the youth culture and changing attitudes towards femininity and sex.

Question 6: What is the primary molecule used by cells for energy?

Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is often referred to as the "molecular unit of currency" of intracellular energy transfer. ATP transports chemical energy within cells for metabolism. Every cell uses ATP for energy. It is produced through various methods, including cellular respiration in the mitochondria and photosynthesis in plants.

Question 7: What is the main ingredient in traditional Japanese miso soup?

Miso paste is a traditional Japanese seasoning produced by fermenting soybeans with salt and koji (the fungus Aspergillus oryzae) and sometimes rice, barley, or other ingredients. It's the base flavor for miso soup, to which various ingredients such as tofu, seaweed, and green onions are commonly added.

Question 8: When did the musical "The Phantom of the Opera" officially debut on Broadway?

"The Phantom of the Opera" by Andrew Lloyd Webber debuted on Broadway in 1988 after the original London production premiered in 1986. It has become one of the longest-running shows in Broadway history.

Question 9: In what year were the first modern Olympic Games held?

The first modern Olympic Games were held in Athens, Greece, from April 6 to April 15, 1896. The games were the brainchild of French educator Baron Pierre de Coubertin, who sought to promote international friendship and understanding through sporting competition.

Question 10: Who was the first female Prime Minister of the United Kingdom?

Margaret Thatcher was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1979 to 1990. She was the longest-serving British prime minister of the 20th century and the first woman to hold that office. A Soviet journalist called her the "Iron Lady," a nickname that became associated with her uncompromising politics and leadership style.

You got answers correct

Reactions: Johnnie boy
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #238
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟥
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩
YAY! I'm getting better! ;)

Reactions: magpie1
I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #238
Question 1: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥

SDC Trivia Game #238 - 19/01/2024

Question 1: Which holiday is known for featuring elaborate parades, masks, and the saying, "Throw me something, mister!"?

Mardi Gras, particularly in New Orleans, is famous for its parades where attendees shout "Throw me something, mister!" to parade float riders, hoping to catch beads and other trinkets. The tradition of throwing beads dates back to the early 1900s.

Question 2: Which play is considered to be Shakespeare's longest?

Hamlet typically has over 4,000 lines and can take up to four hours to perform. It includes the famous soliloquy that begins with "To be, or not to be."

Question 3: Who is recognized as inventing the World Wide Web?

The World Wide Web was invented by Tim Berners-Lee in 1989 while working at CERN. The web was initially conceived and developed to meet the demand for information-sharing between physicists in universities and institutes around the world.

Question 4: In Christianity, what is the season of preparation for Easter called?

Lent is a period of 40 days which comes before Easter in the Christian calendar. It's dedicted to fasting, repentance, moderation, and spiritual discipline to prepare for Easter. Lent traditionally represents the 40 days Jesus spent fasting in the wilderness.

Question 5: What year was the miniskirt first popularized?

The miniskirt is often attributed to designer Mary Quant, who popularized it in the 1960s. Its introduction was seen as a symbol of the youth culture and changing attitudes towards femininity and sex.

Question 6: What is the primary molecule used by cells for energy?

Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is often referred to as the "molecular unit of currency" of intracellular energy transfer. ATP transports chemical energy within cells for metabolism. Every cell uses ATP for energy. It is produced through various methods, including cellular respiration in the mitochondria and photosynthesis in plants.

Question 7: What is the main ingredient in traditional Japanese miso soup?

Miso paste is a traditional Japanese seasoning produced by fermenting soybeans with salt and koji (the fungus Aspergillus oryzae) and sometimes rice, barley, or other ingredients. It's the base flavor for miso soup, to which various ingredients such as tofu, seaweed, and green onions are commonly added.

Question 8: When did the musical "The Phantom of the Opera" officially debut on Broadway?

"The Phantom of the Opera" by Andrew Lloyd Webber debuted on Broadway in 1988 after the original London production premiered in 1986. It has become one of the longest-running shows in Broadway history.

Question 9: In what year were the first modern Olympic Games held?

The first modern Olympic Games were held in Athens, Greece, from April 6 to April 15, 1896. The games were the brainchild of French educator Baron Pierre de Coubertin, who sought to promote international friendship and understanding through sporting competition.

Question 10: Who was the first female Prime Minister of the United Kingdom?

Margaret Thatcher was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1979 to 1990. She was the longest-serving British prime minister of the 20th century and the first woman to hold that office. A Soviet journalist called her the "Iron Lady," a nickname that became associated with her uncompromising politics and leadership style.

You got answers correct

Reactions: Johnnie boy
Re Question 5: What year was the miniskirt first popularized? The answer choices were all decades, not yeears. Learn the difference, it is significant.
Plus for an allegedly Australian website, why the American spelling "Popularized?" Try replacing the "z" with an "s."
And if you must recycle questions, such as the last two, can you make them ones NOT used last week?

Reactions: Bullwinkle
appreciate these questions are most likely of some American website. But, at the very least, remove the US reference of 'holiday' for dates of the year that are NOT holidays in the sense of the word.

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #238
Question 1: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 6: 🟥
Question 8: 🟥

Reactions: Jo Piper3