SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #230 - 11/01/2024

Question 1: Where in a human cell is DNA primarily located?

The majority of a human cell's DNA is contained within the nucleus, which is often referred to as the control center of the cell. Mitochondria also have their own small amount of DNA, known as mitochondrial DNA, but this represents a tiny fraction of the total DNA in a cell.

Question 2: Which is the smallest country in terms of land area?

Vatican City is an independent city-state enclaved within Rome, Italy. With an area of about 44 hectares (110 acres), it's the smallest internationally recognized independent state in the world both by area and population.

Question 3: What is the main mineral found in granite?

Although granite is a composite rock consisting of various minerals, feldspar is the predominant mineral present, often accompanied by quartz, mica, and amphibole. Feldspar can constitute upwards of 65% of the composition in some granite samples. Granite is typically used for architectural and construction purposes due to its durability.

Question 4: What was the name of the first artificial Earth satellite?

Sputnik 1 was launched by the Soviet Union on October 4, 1957. This event marked the start of the space age and led directly to the creation of NASA and the space race between the USSR and the United States.

Question 5: In Greek mythology, who is known as the messenger of the gods?

Hermes, the son of Zeus and Maia, is the Greek god of trade, thieves, travelers, sports, athletes, and border crossings, and is the guide to the Underworld. He is famous for his winged sandals that allowed him to travel quickly and serve as the messenger of the gods.

Question 6: What is the international agreement called that governs the treatment of prisoners of war?

The Geneva Conventions consist of four treaties formulated in Geneva, Switzerland, that set the standards for international law for humanitarian treatment during war. The Third Geneva Convention specifically deals with the treatment of prisoners of war.

Question 7: Which vitamin is known as ascorbic acid?

Vitamin C is essential for the growth and repair of tissues throughout the body. It's an antioxidant and also helps the immune system work properly. Humans, unlike most animals, cannot synthesize Vitamin C, which means it must be obtained through their diet.

Question 8: What is the real name of the rapper known as "Eminem"?

Eminem is the stage name for Marshall Bruce Mathers III, born on October 17, 1972. He is one of the best-selling music artists of all time, with over 220 million records sold worldwide.

Question 9: Which major world religion has the Bhagavad Gita as a sacred text?

The Bhagavad Gita is a 700-verse Hindu scripture that is part of the Indian epic Mahabharata. It is in the form of a dialogue between Prince Arjuna and the god Krishna, who serves as his charioteer. The Bhagavad Gita is one of the most important texts in Hindu philosophy and theology.

Question 10: What is the psychological phenomenon where a person in a group is less likely to take action or feel a sense of responsibility?

The bystander effect was first demonstrated following the infamous case of Kitty Genovese's murder in 1964, where it was reported that 38 bystanders failed to intervene or call the police. However, research over the years has shown that this number was exaggerated and that some actions were taken by witnesses. The phenomenon has been heavily studied and is often explained by the diffusion of responsibility when more people are present.

You got answers correct

Reactions: DonnaSherlock
I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #230
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Question 1: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥

Question 5: 🟥

Happy with that 😊

SDC Trivia Game #230 - 11/01/2024

Question 1: Where in a human cell is DNA primarily located?

The majority of a human cell's DNA is contained within the nucleus, which is often referred to as the control center of the cell. Mitochondria also have their own small amount of DNA, known as mitochondrial DNA, but this represents a tiny fraction of the total DNA in a cell.

Question 2: Which is the smallest country in terms of land area?

Vatican City is an independent city-state enclaved within Rome, Italy. With an area of about 44 hectares (110 acres), it's the smallest internationally recognized independent state in the world both by area and population.

Question 3: What is the main mineral found in granite?

Although granite is a composite rock consisting of various minerals, feldspar is the predominant mineral present, often accompanied by quartz, mica, and amphibole. Feldspar can constitute upwards of 65% of the composition in some granite samples. Granite is typically used for architectural and construction purposes due to its durability.

Question 4: What was the name of the first artificial Earth satellite?

Sputnik 1 was launched by the Soviet Union on October 4, 1957. This event marked the start of the space age and led directly to the creation of NASA and the space race between the USSR and the United States.

Question 5: In Greek mythology, who is known as the messenger of the gods?

Hermes, the son of Zeus and Maia, is the Greek god of trade, thieves, travelers, sports, athletes, and border crossings, and is the guide to the Underworld. He is famous for his winged sandals that allowed him to travel quickly and serve as the messenger of the gods.

Question 6: What is the international agreement called that governs the treatment of prisoners of war?

The Geneva Conventions consist of four treaties formulated in Geneva, Switzerland, that set the standards for international law for humanitarian treatment during war. The Third Geneva Convention specifically deals with the treatment of prisoners of war.

Question 7: Which vitamin is known as ascorbic acid?

Vitamin C is essential for the growth and repair of tissues throughout the body. It's an antioxidant and also helps the immune system work properly. Humans, unlike most animals, cannot synthesize Vitamin C, which means it must be obtained through their diet.

Question 8: What is the real name of the rapper known as "Eminem"?

Eminem is the stage name for Marshall Bruce Mathers III, born on October 17, 1972. He is one of the best-selling music artists of all time, with over 220 million records sold worldwide.

Question 9: Which major world religion has the Bhagavad Gita as a sacred text?

The Bhagavad Gita is a 700-verse Hindu scripture that is part of the Indian epic Mahabharata. It is in the form of a dialogue between Prince Arjuna and the god Krishna, who serves as his charioteer. The Bhagavad Gita is one of the most important texts in Hindu philosophy and theology.

Question 10: What is the psychological phenomenon where a person in a group is less likely to take action or feel a sense of responsibility?

The bystander effect was first demonstrated following the infamous case of Kitty Genovese's murder in 1964, where it was reported that 38 bystanders failed to intervene or call the police. However, research over the years has shown that this number was exaggerated and that some actions were taken by witnesses. The phenomenon has been heavily studied and is often explained by the diffusion of responsibility when more people are present.

You got answers correct
had to reread number 10 a few times to get it. Thank goodness I didn't go with my first choice. Knew Enimen was a III fluked the right one, Yeah for me.

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #230
Granite can contain more quartz than feldspar, as it varies with each deposit.

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #230
Question 4: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥

I remember my dad having an old 45 many years ago and it was called Telstar so that's why I picked it. I thought Sputnik was a manned flight not a satellite. But then looking back at the question, it was Sputnik 1. I should learn to read them a little bit more before I choose the wrong answer. LOL