SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #223 - 04/01/2024

Question 1: Which scientist is associated with the theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity revolutionized the way we understand space, time, and gravity. His famous formula E=mc^2 describes the relationship between energy and mass, and is a cornerstone of modern physics.

Question 2: If you're "Feeling Good," which artist's signature song might you be listening to?

"Feeling Good" is a song written by Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricusse for the 1964 musical "The Roar of the Greasepaint – The Smell of the Crowd." Nina Simone's version, recorded in 1965, has become one of her most famous recordings and is often associated with her due to its emotional delivery and powerful voice.

Question 3: What was the first commercially successful video game?

Pong was released by Atari in 1972 and is credited with being the first commercially successful video game, sparking the beginning of the video game industry as we know it today.

Question 4: In the context of crop production, what is monoculture?

Monoculture can lead to increased yield per unit area for the single crop being cultivated, but it also may raise concerns about biodiversity, soil health, and vulnerability to pests and diseases, since a single species grown extensively over large areas can be more susceptible to catastrophic losses.

Question 5: Which architect designed the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao?

Frank Gehry's design of the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao is considered one of the most important pieces of contemporary architecture. The museum opened in 1997 and immediately became a renowned landmark due to its unique, organic shapes and innovative use of materials like titanium.

Question 6: Who is considered the national poet of Scotland?

Robert Burns, often known simply as "Rabbie" Burns, is celebrated worldwide for his poetry and songs, which often reflect his love of Scotland and its people. Burns Night, held annually on his birthday, January 25th, is celebrated with traditional Scottish food and the recitation of his poetry.

Question 7: What year did the classic television series "I Love Lucy" first premiere?

"I Love Lucy," starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, premiered on CBS on October 15, 1951. The show is recognized as one of the greatest and most influential sitcoms in history.

Question 8: Where is the ancient city of Petra located?

Petra, famous for its rock-cut architecture and water conduit system, is also known as the Rose City due to the color of the stone from which it is carved. It is a symbol of Jordan, as well as its most visited tourist attraction. It was designated as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1985.

Question 9: Which physicist wrote the best-selling book "A Brief History of Time"?

Stephen Hawking was a brilliant physicist known for his work on black holes and relativity. "A Brief History of Time," published in 1988, made complex scientific ideas accessible to a general audience and sold more than 10 million copies. It stayed on the British Sunday Times best-sellers list for a record-breaking 237 weeks.

Question 10: What is the term for a word that is the same forwards and backwards?

A palindrome is a word, phrase, number, or other sequences of characters that reads the same forward and backward, with general disregard to capitals, punctuation, and word boundaries. Classic examples include "madam" and "racecar".

You got answers correct

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #223
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟥
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #223
Question 2: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #223
Question 8: 🟥

I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #223
Question 1: 🟥
Question 4: 🟥
Question 8: 🟥

Perfect score two days in row!!

I only got the "I Love Lucy" question correct due the Americocentrism of SDC Trivia. Australia didn't have television until 1956 which meant 1960 was the only correct answer otherwise.
What? It was pretty much the only American question on here. You got it correct. It's called trivia, is just that trivia.

Einstein's theory of relativity revolutionized the way we understand space, time, and gravity. His famous formula E=mc^2 describes the relationship between energy and mass, and is a cornerstone of modern physics.

Question 2: If you're "Feeling Good," which artist's signature song might you be listening to?

"Feeling Good" is a song written by Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricusse for the 1964 musical "The Roar of the Greasepaint – The Smell of the Crowd." Nina Simone's version, recorded in 1965, has become one of her most famous recordings and is often associated with her due to its emotional delivery and powerful voice.

Pong was released by Atari in 1972 and is credited with being the first commercially successful video game, sparking the beginning of the video game industry as we know it today.

Monoculture can lead to increased yield per unit area for the single crop being cultivated, but it also may raise concerns about biodiversity, soil health, and vulnerability to pests and diseases, since a single species grown extensively over large areas can be more susceptible to catastrophic losses.

Frank Gehry's design of the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao is considered one of the most important pieces of contemporary architecture. The museum opened in 1997 and immediately became a renowned landmark due to its unique, organic shapes and innovative use of materials like titanium.

Robert Burns, often known simply as "Rabbie" Burns, is celebrated worldwide for his poetry and songs, which often reflect his love of Scotland and its people. Burns Night, held annually on his birthday, January 25th, is celebrated with traditional Scottish food and the recitation of his poetry.

Question 7: What year did the classic television series "I Love Lucy" first premiere?

"I Love Lucy," starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, premiered on CBS on October 15, 1951. The show is recognized as one of the greatest and most influential sitcoms in history.

Petra, famous for its rock-cut architecture and water conduit system, is also known as the Rose City due to the color of the stone from which it is carved. It is a symbol of Jordan, as well as its most visited tourist attraction. It was designated as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1985.

Question 9: Which physicist wrote the best-selling book "A Brief History of Time"?

Stephen Hawking was a brilliant physicist known for his work on black holes and relativity. "A Brief History of Time," published in 1988, made complex scientific ideas accessible to a general audience and sold more than 10 million copies. It stayed on the British Sunday Times best-sellers list for a record-breaking 237 weeks.

Question 10: What is the term for a word that is the same forwards and backwards?

A palindrome is a word, phrase, number, or other sequences of characters that reads the same forward and backward, with general disregard to capitals, punctuation, and word boundaries. Classic examples include "madam" and "racecar".

You got answers correct
Omg wasn’t concentrating oh well!

You got answers correct
What's happened, just a pleasant amble through the memory bank or lack thereof, but not today 😎😎

Last edited:
I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #223
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 5: 🟥

Not too shabby. I only knew the Petra question because I watched a Joanna Lumley programme just the other night and she was there. How lucky was that. And Stephen Hawkins was the only name I recognised so chose that one. LOL. My 2 wrong answers were simply guesses, wrong ones obviously.

Question 1: 🟥