SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #203 - 15/12/2023

Question 1: If you discover ancient human remains in Australia, which hominin species would they most likely belong to?

Homo sapiens, or modern humans, are the only hominin species known to have inhabited Australia. The first humans arrived on the continent around 50,000 to 65,000 years ago.

Question 2: The character Batman first appeared in which comic book series?

Batman first appeared in Detective Comics #27, which was published in May 1939. The character was created by artist Bob Kane and writer Bill Finger.

Question 3: The Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) is based in which city?

The Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) is based in Sydney and was founded in 1987. It's the primary stock exchange in Australia and the 16th largest in the world by market capitalization.

Question 4: In which year did the Australian Parliament establish the First Home Owner Grant?

The First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) was introduced by the Australian Government in July 2000 to offset the effect of the GST on home ownership. It is a national scheme funded by the states and territories and administered under their own legislation.

Question 5: Which organ of the human body is responsible for producing insulin?

The pancreas, located in the abdomen, is responsible for producing the hormone insulin, which helps regulate blood sugar levels. A lack of insulin or defects in its function can lead to diabetes.

Question 6: What is the unit of measurement for electrical resistance?

The unit of measurement ohm is named after Georg Simon Ohm, a German physicist who first formulated Ohm's Law, which relates voltage, current, and resistance in electrical circuits.

Question 7: What is the original name of Marvel character The Wasp?

Janet van Dyne was created by writer Stan Lee and artist Jack Kirby, first appearing in Tales to Astonish #44 in 1963. She was a founding member of the Avengers and played a significant role in the Marvel Universe.

Question 8: How many years does it take for a plastic bag to decompose in a landfill?

Plastic waste poses a critical threat to the environment, particularly for marine life. In landfills, it can take between 500 and 1,000 years for plastic bags to decompose. This underscores the importance of reducing plastic consumption and promoting recycling or eco-friendly alternatives.

Question 9: In which year was the World Health Organization (WHO) founded?

The World Health Organization (WHO) was established on April 7, 1948, which is now celebrated as World Health Day. Its main office is in Geneva, Switzerland.

Question 10: Who is considered the father of modern philosophy?

René Descartes, a French philosopher and mathematician, is often regarded as the father of modern philosophy for bridging the gap between Scholasticism of the medieval period and the new science of the modern era. His famous phrase, "Cogito, ergo sum" ("I think, therefore I am"), encapsulates his emphasis on the importance of doubt and rational thought.

You got answers correct

Reactions: Trishmags12
8 out of 10 again, should have been 9,, checked on the inet, plastic bags take 10 to 20 years to decompose, plastic bottles take 500 to 1000 years It would be so good if someone checked answers., the question was about bags.

Reactions: KaraJenna and terri
I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #203
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟥
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩
A few correct guesses today 😁

8 out of 10 again, should have been 9,, checked on the inet, plastic bags take 10 to 20 years to decompose, plastic bottles take 500 to 1000 years It would be so good if someone checked answers., the question was about bags.
the question also referenced 'landfill' maybe recheck that inet of yours.

the question also referenced 'landfill' maybe recheck that inet of yours.
It was google, checked again, definately says 20 to 30 years for plastic bags , 500 to 1000 years for bottles.

It was google, checked again, definately says 20 to 30 years for plastic bags , 500 to 1000 years for bottles.
You can find any answer you like on google: https://www.mentalfloss.com/posts/how-long-for-plastic-bag-to-decompose Neither of us is going to be around to prove or disprove, but landfill slows decomposition 100 fold. Reason why you see the heavy earth moving equipment turning over landfill sites every day to speed up decomposition with oxygen getting in to feed microorganisms etc to breakdown. Only breaks down so much, then it become microplastic particles that are naked to the human eye but still there.

I got 4 out of 10 (40%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #203
Question 2: 🟥
Question 4: 🟥
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟥

The original singlet style plastic bag deteriorates in 2 to 3 years. But I don't know a thing, being a retired polymer chemist....

And who cares about Marvel comics and the like. The last comic I read was Dagwood in the Sydney Sun-Herald in about 1972.

A lowly 70%.
so you're happy to acknowledge your contribution to the current plastic problem. Interestingly, recently there were plastic bags from the 60's that are being dug up in landfill that are still in good structural condition

so you're happy to acknowledge your contribution to the current plastic problem. Interestingly, recently there were plastic bags from the 60's that are being dug up in landfill that are still in good structural condition
Wouldn't know and don't particularly care. Tree hugging is not on my resume. I hate splinters!

• Haha
Reactions: magpie1
The original singlet style plastic bag deteriorates in 2 to 3 years. But I don't know a thing, being a retired polymer chemist....

And who cares about Marvel comics and the like. The last comic I read was Dagwood in the Sydney Sun-Herald in about 1972.

A lowly 70%.

So we now know a little bit more about you Veggiepatch 😃

Sitting in pathology, waiting for a blood test!!
Thought I would tackle the trivia, while I wait
100% today….repeats I remember the answers to, great way to finish off the working week

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #203
Question 4: 🟥
Question 5: 🟥
Question 7: 🟩

SDC Trivia Ga
SDC Trivia Game #203 - 15/12/2023

Question 1: If you discover ancient human remains in Australia, which hominin species would they most likely belong to?

Homo sapiens, or modern humans, are the only hominin species known to have inhabited Australia. The first humans arrived on the continent around 50,000 to 65,000 years ago.

Batman first appeared in Detective Comics #27, which was published in May 1939. The character was created by artist Bob Kane and writer Bill Finger.

The Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) is based in Sydney and was founded in 1987. It's the primary stock exchange in Australia and the 16th largest in the world by market capitalization.

Question 4: In which year did the Australian Parliament establish the First Home Owner Grant?

The First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) was introduced by the Australian Government in July 2000 to offset the effect of the GST on home ownership. It is a national scheme funded by the states and territories and administered under their own legislation.

The pancreas, located in the abdomen, is responsible for producing the hormone insulin, which helps regulate blood sugar levels. A lack of insulin or defects in its function can lead to diabetes.

The unit of measurement ohm is named after Georg Simon Ohm, a German physicist who first formulated Ohm's Law, which relates voltage, current, and resistance in electrical circuits.

Janet van Dyne was created by writer Stan Lee and artist Jack Kirby, first appearing in Tales to Astonish #44 in 1963. She was a founding member of the Avengers and played a significant role in the Marvel Universe.

Question 8: How many years does it take for a plastic bag to decompose in a landfill?

Plastic waste poses a critical threat to the environment, particularly for marine life. In landfills, it can take between 500 and 1,000 years for plastic bags to decompose. This underscores the importance of reducing plastic consumption and promoting recycling or eco-friendly alternatives.

The World Health Organization (WHO) was established on April 7, 1948, which is now celebrated as World Health Day. Its main office is in Geneva, Switzerland.

René Descartes, a French philosopher and mathematician, is often regarded as the father of modern philosophy for bridging the gap between Scholasticism of the medieval period and the new science of the modern era. His famous phrase, "Cogito, ergo sum" ("I think, therefore I am"), encapsulates his emphasis on the importance of doubt and rational thought.

You got answers correct
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #203
Question 1: 🟥
given that every piece of plastic is still in the system the answer is a bit short
me #203 - 15/12/2023

You got answers correct

around about this time of year there was 3 WISE MEN hanging around looking at the stars, well after todays lowly effort I can definitely tell you that I was not one of them. 😉

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #203
Question 10: 🟥

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #203
Question 2: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
A few correct guesses today 😁
Anybody that answered the question about plastic bags, was in my opinion penalised by the alteration of the time involved in the breakdown of plastic bottles. ergo it becomes the right answer, let a moderator, let me know what they think