SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #190 - 02/12/2023

Question 1: If you were drinking sake, which country's traditional beverage would you be consuming?

Sake, also referred to as a rice wine, is a Japanese alcohol made by fermenting rice that has been polished to remove the bran. It's an integral part of Japanese culture and tradition.

Question 2: Who is the central figure of worship in Buddhism?

In Buddhism, Gautama Buddha, also known simply as the Buddha, is widely revered as the central figure of worship. He is considered as the founder of Buddhism and is revered not as a god, but as a teacher who has awakened to spiritual understanding and enlightenment.

Question 3: How long is a day on Venus, in Earth days?

A day on Venus, which is the period of rotation, lasts 243 Earth days, making it the longest day of any planet in our Solar System. However, its year, or the time it takes to orbit the Sun, is only about 225 Earth days.

Question 4: Why did the composer of "West Side Story" refuse to allow "Somewhere" be played as a stand-alone song?

The composer, Leonard Bernstein, believed "Somewhere" was integral to the plot and didn't want it performed outside the context of the show. The song serves as a central theme representing the characters' yearn for a better life "somewhere", thus it was important to him that it remained within the narrative.

Question 5: The "Tank Man" photograph was taken during which historical event?

The iconic "Tank Man" photograph depicts an unknown man standing in front of a column of tanks leaving Tiananmen Square in Beijing, China, on June 5, 1989, the morning after the Chinese government had suppressed the Tiananmen protests by force.

Question 6: Which Greek god is the ruler of the underworld?

In Greek mythology, Hades is the god of the underworld and the dead. He is one of the three sons of Cronus and Rhea, along with his brothers Zeus and Poseidon. They divided the world among themselves, with Hades receiving the underworld.

Question 7: What is the real name of the famed reggae performer known as Bob Marley?

Bob Marley, born Robert Nesta Marley, was a Jamaican singer-songwriter counted among one of the pioneers of reggae music. His contributions to music increased the visibility of Jamaican music worldwide, and made him a global symbol in popular culture for over a decade.

Question 8: Who wrote the influential dystopian novel "1984"?

"1984", a novel written by George Orwell (real name Eric Arthur Blair) in 1949, depicts a totalitarian future society where public and private life are scrutinized by the Party led by Big Brother. It has been influential in socio-political discussions since.

Question 9: In biology, what is the powerhouse of the cell?

The Mitochondria is often referred to as the powerhouse of the cell because it's responsible for converting chemical energy from food into adenosine triphosphate (ATP), a form of energy that cells can use.

Question 10: Why is the piano sometimes called a "piano forte"?

The piano is often called a "piano forte" stemming from its original Italian name "gravicèmbalo col piano e forte" which means “harpsichord with soft and loud” because, unlike the harpsichord, the piano can vary the volume of the notes based on the player's touch.

You got answers correct

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #190
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

90% today!! Many repeated questions….

When there is a science, biology, physics, chemistry or math question I always answer those first!! 😊😊

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #190
Question 3: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #190
Question 4: 🟥

I got 4 out of 10 (40%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #190
Question 1: 🟥
Boohoo!

Reactions: Bullwinkle
I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #190

I wuz wobbed on Question 4 by a technicality. I recall the composer of the lyrics to "Somewhere", Stephen Sondheim, saying he didn't like the first line of the lyrics he wrote himself. Oh well!

Q's 3 and 4 were a guess. No good in musical questions and planets are not my forte. Q9 I answered wrong again. I answered the same when the question was asked not so long ago. I don't learn do I?

Question 1: If you were drinking sake, which country's traditional beverage would you be consuming?

Sake, also referred to as a rice wine, is a Japanese alcohol made by fermenting rice that has been polished to remove the bran. It's an integral part of Japanese culture and tradition.

In Buddhism, Gautama Buddha, also known simply as the Buddha, is widely revered as the central figure of worship. He is considered as the founder of Buddhism and is revered not as a god, but as a teacher who has awakened to spiritual understanding and enlightenment.

A day on Venus, which is the period of rotation, lasts 243 Earth days, making it the longest day of any planet in our Solar System. However, its year, or the time it takes to orbit the Sun, is only about 225 Earth days.

Question 4: Why did the composer of "West Side Story" refuse to allow "Somewhere" be played as a stand-alone song?

The composer, Leonard Bernstein, believed "Somewhere" was integral to the plot and didn't want it performed outside the context of the show. The song serves as a central theme representing the characters' yearn for a better life "somewhere", thus it was important to him that it remained within the narrative.

The iconic "Tank Man" photograph depicts an unknown man standing in front of a column of tanks leaving Tiananmen Square in Beijing, China, on June 5, 1989, the morning after the Chinese government had suppressed the Tiananmen protests by force.

In Greek mythology, Hades is the god of the underworld and the dead. He is one of the three sons of Cronus and Rhea, along with his brothers Zeus and Poseidon. They divided the world among themselves, with Hades receiving the underworld.

Question 7: What is the real name of the famed reggae performer known as Bob Marley?

Bob Marley, born Robert Nesta Marley, was a Jamaican singer-songwriter counted among one of the pioneers of reggae music. His contributions to music increased the visibility of Jamaican music worldwide, and made him a global symbol in popular culture for over a decade.

"1984", a novel written by George Orwell (real name Eric Arthur Blair) in 1949, depicts a totalitarian future society where public and private life are scrutinized by the Party led by Big Brother. It has been influential in socio-political discussions since.

The Mitochondria is often referred to as the powerhouse of the cell because it's responsible for converting chemical energy from food into adenosine triphosphate (ATP), a form of energy that cells can use.

The piano is often called a "piano forte" stemming from its original Italian name "gravicèmbalo col piano e forte" which means “harpsichord with soft and loud” because, unlike the harpsichord, the piano can vary the volume of the notes based on the player's touch.

You got answers correct

You got answers correct
I actually got 80% correct today. I must have taken some "clever" pills this morning.

Well it looks like I'm the only one here who got 6 today. that's ok, I'll take that. 😂😉