SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #185 - 27/11/2023

Question 1: Where in the human body would you find the pituitary gland?

The pituitary gland, often referred to as the "master gland", is found at the base of the brain. It produces several hormones and acts as a control center, influencing other hormone-secreting glands throughout the body.

Question 2: When completed, which was the first building in the modern world to exceed 500 metres in height?

Upon completion in 2004, the Taipei 101 in Taiwan stood at a height of 509 metres and held the title of being the world's tallest manmade structure until 2010, when it was surpassed by the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. Today, it still holds the record for having the fastest passenger elevator in the world.

Question 3: How many ribs does the human body normally have?

The human body typically has 24 ribs, 12 on each side. The top seven pairs are called true ribs, while the lower five pairs are called false ribs, with the last two pairs being known as floating ribs, as they do not connect to the sternum.

Question 4: What is the home of the Greek gods according to ancient mythology?

In ancient Greek religion and mythology, Mount Olympus is the dwelling of the Olympian gods. It is often conceptualized as a high (often the highest) heaven or plane of existence, rather than a physical mountain.

Question 5: Why did the United States enter World War I?

Although the sinking of the Lusitania by a German U-boat in 1915 caused significant outrage in the United States, it was not until 1917, after further unrestricted submarine warfare and the revelation of the Zimmerman Telegram, that the U.S. officially entered World War I.

Question 6: The Rosetta Stone was instrumental in understanding which ancient language?

The Rosetta Stone is inscribed with three versions of a decree, written in hieroglyphic, demotic, and Greek. Comparison between the Greek and Egyptian texts led to the deciphering of the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs in the early 19th century by scholar Jean-François Champollion.

Question 7: What musical features the characters Jean Valjean, Fantine, and Javert?

Les Misérables is a critically acclaimed musical, based on Victor Hugo's novel of the same name. It has been performed worldwide and is known for its iconic songs like "I Dreamed a Dream" and "One Day More".

Question 8: The 'Great Red Spot' feature is primarily associated with which planet?

The Great Red Spot is a persistent high-pressure region in the atmosphere of Jupiter, producing an anticyclonic storm that is the largest in the Solar System, lasting for at least 400 years.

Question 9: Which country is the world's largest producer of coffee?

Brazil is the world's largest producer of coffee, producing about a third of the world's coffee supply. The coffee industry plays a crucial role in Brazil's economy.

Question 10: The ulna is a bone found in which part of the human body?

The ulna, along with the radius, is one of two long bones located in the forearm. It is on the side opposite the thumb, and plays a crucial role in many of the arm's movements.

You got answers correct

The pituitary gland, often referred to as the "master gland", is found at the base of the brain. It produces several hormones and acts as a control center, influencing other hormone-secreting glands throughout the body.

Question 2: When completed, which was the first building in the modern world to exceed 500 metres in height?

Upon completion in 2004, the Taipei 101 in Taiwan stood at a height of 509 metres and held the title of being the world's tallest manmade structure until 2010, when it was surpassed by the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. Today, it still holds the record for having the fastest passenger elevator in the world.

The human body typically has 24 ribs, 12 on each side. The top seven pairs are called true ribs, while the lower five pairs are called false ribs, with the last two pairs being known as floating ribs, as they do not connect to the sternum.

In ancient Greek religion and mythology, Mount Olympus is the dwelling of the Olympian gods. It is often conceptualized as a high (often the highest) heaven or plane of existence, rather than a physical mountain.

Although the sinking of the Lusitania by a German U-boat in 1915 caused significant outrage in the United States, it was not until 1917, after further unrestricted submarine warfare and the revelation of the Zimmerman Telegram, that the U.S. officially entered World War I.

Question 6: The Rosetta Stone was instrumental in understanding which ancient language?

The Rosetta Stone is inscribed with three versions of a decree, written in hieroglyphic, demotic, and Greek. Comparison between the Greek and Egyptian texts led to the deciphering of the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs in the early 19th century by scholar Jean-François Champollion.

Question 7: What musical features the characters Jean Valjean, Fantine, and Javert?

Les Misérables is a critically acclaimed musical, based on Victor Hugo's novel of the same name. It has been performed worldwide and is known for its iconic songs like "I Dreamed a Dream" and "One Day More".

Question 8: The 'Great Red Spot' feature is primarily associated with which planet?

The Great Red Spot is a persistent high-pressure region in the atmosphere of Jupiter, producing an anticyclonic storm that is the largest in the Solar System, lasting for at least 400 years.

Brazil is the world's largest producer of coffee, producing about a third of the world's coffee supply. The coffee industry plays a crucial role in Brazil's economy.

The ulna, along with the radius, is one of two long bones located in the forearm. It is on the side opposite the thumb, and plays a crucial role in many of the arm's movements.

You got answers correct
7 - abject fail, blaming Monday morning!

Reactions: Bullwinkle
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #185
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟥
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #185
Question 1: 🟩
Question 5: 🟥
Question 6: 🟩

I was looking for "Because they like to poke their noses into everyone's business" for Question 5, but that choice wasn't available. LOL. Sorry if I've offended anyone.

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #185
Question 3: 🟥
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥
Quest
ion 10: 🟩

You got answers correct
You dummy, pay attention when you select the answers you missed out on two questions because you did not pay attention of course its les mis not phantom and its above 500 ft not closed too - idiot

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #185
Question 5: 🟥
Question 8: 🟥
Couldbe worse!!!! hahaha.

• Wow
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #185
Question 1: 🟥
I am happy with 7, proves my brain is still working some of the time. Back to my cardmaking! My latest Calendars and cards.

Attachments

• 20231026_155037.jpg
    20231026_155037.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 0
  • received_317643485481065.jpeg
    received_317643485481065.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230802_123606.jpg
    20230802_123606.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230617_121517.jpg
    20230617_121517.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230205_200343.jpg
    20230205_200343.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 271421495_897262514317160_2290612440142232636_n.jpeg
    271421495_897262514317160_2290612440142232636_n.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 183129721_1449903758689637_6899154473796406683_n.jpg
    183129721_1449903758689637_6899154473796406683_n.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 185182009_1449915862021760_2383454825150434798_n.jpg
    185182009_1449915862021760_2383454825150434798_n.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 0
I tried a new strategy today. I took my time with each question and read each one carefully. Well that worked well - not! Still only 60%. I guess they are right, you can’t fix stupid lol

No not stupid. Some questions we can relate to and others are not always in our memory bank. Somedays I get 5 or 6 and every now and again 7 or 8...I go with the flow, gives this old brain daily exercise.

Reactions: Colette 3799
I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #185
Question 3: 🟥

People don't realise there were four world wars? the 1914/18--1917/18 and the 1939/45 and 1942/45 one?
The question specifically asked World War 1. Also if you refer to US entering WW2 in 1942, the bombing of Pearl Harbour was in Dec 1941 (11th I think but not sure) which precipitated the US's entry to WW2.

No not stupid. Some questions we can relate to and others are not always in our memory bank. Somedays I get 5 or 6 and every now and again 7 or 8...I go with the flow, gives this old brain daily exercise.
Thank you. That made me feel a bit better lol