SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #179 - 21/11/2023

Question 1: What is the longest river in the world?

The Nile River, located in Africa, is generally regarded as the longest river in the world, covering a distance of approximately 4,135 miles. However, there is some contention as the length of the Amazon River in South America is often measured almost equal.

Question 2: How do Americans typically celebrate Juneteenth?

Juneteenth is an annual holiday commemorating the end of slavery in Texas on June 19, 1865. Celebrations often include activities that honor African-American heritage.

Question 3: Who composed the famous Symphony No. 9, also known as 'The Choral'?

Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, often referred to as 'The Choral', was the last symphony composed by him. It is noteworthy because it's one of the first examples of a composer using voices in a symphony (hence, 'the choral'), with parts of the symphony set to Friedrich Schiller's poem "Ode to Joy".

Question 4: Why is Arabic often written right to left, instead of left to right like English?

Arabic, like Hebrew and Syriac, is written from right to left. This tradition dates back to ancient times when scripts were written using tools like hammer and chisel on stone. It was easier for a right-handed person to inscribe from right to left without obstructing the view of the part already written.

Question 5: Who is considered the father of modern forensic science?

French criminologist Edmond Locard is often referred to as the father of modern forensic science. He is famous for formulating the basic principle of forensic science: "Every contact leaves a trace", also known as Locard's Exchange Principle.

Question 6: In which year did the Soviet Union officially dissolved?

The Soviet Union officially dissolved on December 26, 1991, marking the end of the Cold War. Post dissolution, the USSR was replaced by the Russian Federation as well as 14 other independent countries.

Question 7: What is the longest-running musical on Broadway?

The Phantom of the Opera debuted on Broadway at the Majestic Theatre in January 1988. As of March 2020, it is the longest-running show in Broadway history with over 13,000 performances.

Question 8: Why is Ludwig van Beethoven well-known in the deaf community?

While Beethoven was not deaf at birth, he gradually lost his hearing starting in his late twenties. Despite this, his ability to compose music did not decline; in fact, some of his most well-known works, including his famous Ninth Symphony, were written after he had become completely deaf.

Question 9: How many live-action Broadway adaptations of Disney movies are there?

As of now, eight Disney movies have been turned into Broadway musicals: "Beauty and the Beast," "The Lion King," "Tarzan," "Mary Poppins," "The Little Mermaid," "Newsies," "Aladdin," and "Frozen."

Question 10: If a group of lions is called a pride, what is a group of crows called?

The term "Murder of Crows" dates back to the 15th century and is part of folklore or superstitions that depict crows as harbingers of death.

You got answers correct

Reactions: Nina_59
I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #179
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #179
Question 2: 🟥
Question 5: 🟥
Question 6: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥

Reactions: Bullwinkle
I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #179
Question 4: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩

I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #179
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟥
Question 5: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥

Well that's embarrassing!!! LOL

I got 10 out of 10 (100%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #179
Question 6: 🟩
Yay!
The questions I knew were easy, the guesses were pathetic. 50 50 today

well you'll never guess what I got today.....another bloody 4.....cannot seem to shake them off. 😂🤣😉

Same as you. WTF is "Juneteenth"? And do I care? NO!
Totally agree….far too many “American” questions of late….
Juneteenth was out of left field, complete guess, an I do not care either!!
Let’s see what tomorrow brings 🤔🤔

Totally agree….far too many “American” questions of late….
Juneteenth was out of left field, complete guess, an I do not care either!!
Let’s see what tomorrow brings 🤔🤔
US public holiday to celebrate the end of slavery......I think, 🤔

Reactions: midgemills
SDC Trivia Game #179 - 21/11/2023

Question 1: What is the longest river in the world?

The Nile River, located in Africa, is generally regarded as the longest river in the world, covering a distance of approximately 4,135 miles. However, there is some contention as the length of the Amazon River in South America is often measured almost equal.

Question 2: How do Americans typically celebrate Juneteenth?

Juneteenth is an annual holiday commemorating the end of slavery in Texas on June 19, 1865. Celebrations often include activities that honor African-American heritage.

Question 3: Who composed the famous Symphony No. 9, also known as 'The Choral'?

Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, often referred to as 'The Choral', was the last symphony composed by him. It is noteworthy because it's one of the first examples of a composer using voices in a symphony (hence, 'the choral'), with parts of the symphony set to Friedrich Schiller's poem "Ode to Joy".

Question 4: Why is Arabic often written right to left, instead of left to right like English?

Arabic, like Hebrew and Syriac, is written from right to left. This tradition dates back to ancient times when scripts were written using tools like hammer and chisel on stone. It was easier for a right-handed person to inscribe from right to left without obstructing the view of the part already written.

Question 5: Who is considered the father of modern forensic science?

French criminologist Edmond Locard is often referred to as the father of modern forensic science. He is famous for formulating the basic principle of forensic science: "Every contact leaves a trace", also known as Locard's Exchange Principle.

Question 6: In which year did the Soviet Union officially dissolved?

The Soviet Union officially dissolved on December 26, 1991, marking the end of the Cold War. Post dissolution, the USSR was replaced by the Russian Federation as well as 14 other independent countries.

Question 7: What is the longest-running musical on Broadway?

The Phantom of the Opera debuted on Broadway at the Majestic Theatre in January 1988. As of March 2020, it is the longest-running show in Broadway history with over 13,000 performances.

Question 8: Why is Ludwig van Beethoven well-known in the deaf community?

While Beethoven was not deaf at birth, he gradually lost his hearing starting in his late twenties. Despite this, his ability to compose music did not decline; in fact, some of his most well-known works, including his famous Ninth Symphony, were written after he had become completely deaf.

Question 9: How many live-action Broadway adaptations of Disney movies are there?

As of now, eight Disney movies have been turned into Broadway musicals: "Beauty and the Beast," "The Lion King," "Tarzan," "Mary Poppins," "The Little Mermaid," "Newsies," "Aladdin," and "Frozen."

Question 10: If a group of lions is called a pride, what is a group of crows called?

The term "Murder of Crows" dates back to the 15th century and is part of folklore or superstitions that depict crows as harbingers of death.

You got answers correct
I dithered over the dissolution of the soviet union and dithered correctly yeah me