SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #131 - 04/10/2023

Question 1: Why do plants need carbon dioxide for photosynthesis?

Plants need carbon dioxide, sunlight, and water to produce glucose, a sugar that plants use as an energy source, in a process called photosynthesis. Oxygen is a by-product of this process.

Question 2: Who is considered the 'father of modern philosophy'?

René Descartes, a 17th-century French philosopher, is often credited with being the “Father of Modern Philosophy.” His Meditations on First Philosophy continues to be a standard text at most university philosophy departments. Descartes' famous phrase "cogito, ergo sum" ("I think, therefore I am") has become the foundation of Western philosophy.

Question 3: Where did the Battle of Waterloo take place?

The Battle of Waterloo was fought near Waterloo in Belgium on Sunday, 18 June 1815. This battle marked the final defeat of Napoleon Bonaparte, who conquered much of Europe in the early 19th century.

Question 4: Why do tree leaves change color in the fall?

As daylight decreases in autumn, chlorophyll - the pigment that gives leaves their green color - begins to break down, revealing other pigments like carotenoids and anthocyanins that result in the familiar golds, oranges, reds, and purples of fall foliage.

Question 5: If a car is labeled as a "hybrid," what does it mean?

A hybrid car possesses a gasoline engine and an electric motor. Each of these can operate independently or they can work together, depending on the driving conditions. Hybrids are known for their fuel efficiency and lower emissions.

Question 6: How many pairs of chromosomes do humans typically have?

Humans typically have 23 pairs of chromosomes, making for a total of 46. One pair, known as sex chromosomes, determines an individual's gender.

Question 7: Why is the 'green room' in theatre called as such?

The term 'green room' is traditionally used to refer to a space where performers can relax when they are not on stage. Despite numerous theories, the exact origin of the term is unknown and it does not necessarily imply that the room is painted green.

Question 8: Where is the United Nations Headquarters located?

The United Nations Headquarters is situated in the Turtle Bay neighborhood of Manhattan, in New York City, United States. However, the UN also has major offices in Geneva, Vienna, and Nairobi.

Question 9: How many U.S. Presidents have won a Nobel Peace Prize?

Four U.S. Presidents have won the Nobel Peace Prize. These include: Barack Obama (2009), Jimmy Carter (2002, but not while in office), Woodrow Wilson (1919), and Theodore Roosevelt (1906).

Question 10: If you're looking at pop art, which artist might you expect to see?

Andy Warhol was a leading figure in the pop art movement. He is best known for his works that explore celebrity culture and advertising, with pieces such as the iconic "Campbell's Soup Cans" and "Marilyn Diptych".

You got answers correct

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #131
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩
😁

I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #131
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟥
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥

Plants need carbon dioxide, sunlight, and water to produce glucose, a sugar that plants use as an energy source, in a process called photosynthesis. Oxygen is a by-product of this process.

René Descartes, a 17th-century French philosopher, is often credited with being the “Father of Modern Philosophy.” His Meditations on First Philosophy continues to be a standard text at most university philosophy departments. Descartes' famous phrase "cogito, ergo sum" ("I think, therefore I am") has become the foundation of Western philosophy.

The Battle of Waterloo was fought near Waterloo in Belgium on Sunday, 18 June 1815. This battle marked the final defeat of Napoleon Bonaparte, who conquered much of Europe in the early 19th century.

As daylight decreases in autumn, chlorophyll - the pigment that gives leaves their green color - begins to break down, revealing other pigments like carotenoids and anthocyanins that result in the familiar golds, oranges, reds, and purples of fall foliage.

A hybrid car possesses a gasoline engine and an electric motor. Each of these can operate independently or they can work together, depending on the driving conditions. Hybrids are known for their fuel efficiency and lower emissions.

Humans typically have 23 pairs of chromosomes, making for a total of 46. One pair, known as sex chromosomes, determines an individual's gender.

The term 'green room' is traditionally used to refer to a space where performers can relax when they are not on stage. Despite numerous theories, the exact origin of the term is unknown and it does not necessarily imply that the room is painted green.

The United Nations Headquarters is situated in the Turtle Bay neighborhood of Manhattan, in New York City, United States. However, the UN also has major offices in Geneva, Vienna, and Nairobi.

Four U.S. Presidents have won the Nobel Peace Prize. These include: Barack Obama (2009), Jimmy Carter (2002, but not while in office), Woodrow Wilson (1919), and Theodore Roosevelt (1906).

Question 10: If you're looking at pop art, which artist might you expect to see?

Andy Warhol was a leading figure in the pop art movement. He is best known for his works that explore celebrity culture and advertising, with pieces such as the iconic "Campbell's Soup Cans" and "Marilyn Diptych".

You got answers correct
Lot of repeat questions? At least I got most of them right!

Reactions: Jennylolo
gasoline? here I was thinking this was an Australian site. The US president question is a questionable answer to the question, former Presidents are not Presidents.

Reactions: Vicki.E.
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #131
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥

My mind was completely blank this morning......only 3 answers stood out today. These recent results are becoming very trying I have got to tell you.😂

• Haha
Reactions: lonelyasacloud
90% today…somewhat happy with that, could have been 100% if I had been paying more attention….gee I remember those words being said many years ago!!

You got answers correct
I'm ashamed to admit I'm not as smart as I thought I was 40% ....

Pure luck!

You got answers correct
Question 1: 🟩
Question 6: 🟥

For the first time I got 70 % right.
I must admit two of them are repeats but at least I remembered the right answers
from before. I commented another time when my score was so low, I said I wouldn't quit.

Reactions: Jackib