SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #126 - 29/09/2023

Question 1: What is the term for the amount of energy a substance has per unit of mass, typically used to describe fuel sources?

Specific energy is a useful metric for comparing different fuels or energy storage mediums, as it tells us how much energy can be derived from a given amount of the substance.

Question 2: Why does the term "cognitive dissonance" refer to?

The term 'cognitive dissonance' was first introduced by the social psychologist Leon Festinger in 1957. It refers to the feeling of discomfort or strain someone might feel when they hold two conflicting beliefs or behaviors simultaneously. People typically try to reduce this dissonance by changing their beliefs or behaviors.

Question 3: In which country is the archaeological site of Machu Picchu located?

Machu Picchu, located in the Cusco Region of Peru, is one of the most famous archaeological sites in the world. It was built as an estate for the Inca emperor Pachacuti around 1450 and is often mistakenly referred to as the "Lost City of the Incas".

Question 4: What is the term for a major crime, such as murder or arson?

In the United States legal system, a felony is a serious crime that carries a potential punishment of one year or more in prison, whereas misdemeanors and infractions are lesser offenses.

Question 5: Which book is credited as being the first mystery novel ever published?

Published in 1868, "The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins is considered the first detective novel in the English language, setting many conventions for the genre that continue to this day.

Question 6: The comic character Asterix is from which country?

Asterix is a comic character from France. The series is set in Gaul (modern-day France) during the time of Julius Caesar and follows the adventures of Asterix and his friend Obelix. It was first published in 1959 and has since become one of the most popular comic series in the world.

Question 7: Why does a chameleon change its color?

Contrary to popular belief, chameleons primarily change their color to regulate their temperatures or to express their mood, and not primarily for camouflage. Different color tints reflect or absorb different amounts of light and heat, hence the color change can help in temperature regulation.

Question 8: Why did Pokémon become famous worldwide?

Pokémon, developed by Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures, became famous worldwide largely due to the phenomenal success of its strategic video games which introduced a whole new concept of 'collecting' virtual creatures, trading cards that filled the playgrounds, and the wildly popular animated TV show.

Question 9: If a substance has a pH level below 7, it is considered to be what?

The pH scale measures how acidic or basic a substance is. It ranges from 0 to 14. A pH of 7 is neutral. A pH less than 7 is acidic, and a pH greater than 7 is basic.

Question 10: The NASDAQ Stock Market is primarily associated with which kind of companies?

Although the NASDAQ Stock Market includes companies from various sectors, it is best known for being a high tech market, including technology and internet-based companies. Some of the largest tech companies, like Apple, Microsoft and Amazon, are traded on NASDAQ.

You got answers correct

Reactions: Nina_59
I got 4 out of 10 (40%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #126
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟥
Question 6: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩