SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #118 - 21/09/2023

Question 1: When was Rene Descartes' philosophical statement "I think therefore I am" first published?

Rene Descartes' statement "I think, therefore I am" was first published in his work Discourse on the Method in 1637. This statement is the foundation of his philosophical and metaphysical theories.

Question 2: Who is often regarded as the father of modern genetics, whose experiments on pea plants laid the foundation for our understanding of how traits are inherited?

Gregor Mendel, a 19th-century friar and scientist, conducted experiments with pea plants to understand inheritance. His rules of “inheritance” paved the way for our modern understanding of genetics.

Question 3: In which city are the headquarters of the Country Music Association located?

The Country Music Association was formed in 1958 and is based in Nashville, Tennessee - a city world-renowned for its ties to country music and often referred to as the 'Country Music Capital of the World'.

Question 4: Where in the solar system is Olympus Mons, the tallest volcano known to man?

Olympus Mons is a shield volcano on Mars, and is the tallest volcano and largest shield volcano in the entire solar system. It stands at about 13.6 miles (22 kilometers) high, which is nearly three times the height of Mount Everest, the tallest mountain on Earth.

Question 5: Who is considered the founder of modern nursing?

Florence Nightingale, originating from England, is often considered the founder of modern nursing. Her efforts to reform healthcare greatly improved standards in sanitation, patient care, and hospital planning. Her impactful role was particularly highlighted during the Crimean War.

Question 6: If The Black Widow is a comic book superhero, which universe does she belong to?

Black Widow is a character in the Marvel Comics universe, also known as Natasha Romanoff or Natalia Romanova. She's a former Russian spy and a member of the superhero team, The Avengers.

Question 7: Who is considered the "Father of Modern Geology"?

Scottish geologist James Hutton is often referred to as the "Father of Modern Geology" largely due to his work, 'Theory of the Earth', which introduced the concept of deep time and proposed that the Earth was much older than previously believed.

Question 8: In which country did the Paella dish originate?

Paella is a traditional Spanish dish from the Valencia region, known for its robust flavours and its primary ingredient – rice. It's typically cooked in a shallow pan and can contain a variety of other ingredients including chicken, seafood, rabbit, and vegetables.

Question 9: Which case is considered the catalyst for the creation of the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit?

The Atlanta Child Murders, which occurred between 1979 and 1981, pressured the FBI to develop tools for criminal profiling. This led to the establishment of the Behavioral Science Unit, which has inspired media depictions in shows like "Mind Hunter."

Question 10: If Bruce Banner gets angry, which superhero does he turn into?

In the Marvel Comics, Bruce Banner becomes the Hulk when he gets angry, thanks to an accidental gamma radiation exposure.

You got answers correct

Reactions: Nina_59
I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #118
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #118
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟥
Question 6: 🟥

Question 1: When was Rene Descartes' philosophical statement "I think therefore I am" first published?

Rene Descartes' statement "I think, therefore I am" was first published in his work Discourse on the Method in 1637. This statement is the foundation of his philosophical and metaphysical theories.

Question 2: Who is often regarded as the father of modern genetics, whose experiments on pea plants laid the foundation for our understanding of how traits are inherited?

Gregor Mendel, a 19th-century friar and scientist, conducted experiments with pea plants to understand inheritance. His rules of “inheritance” paved the way for our modern understanding of genetics.

Question 3: In which city are the headquarters of the Country Music Association located?

The Country Music Association was formed in 1958 and is based in Nashville, Tennessee - a city world-renowned for its ties to country music and often referred to as the 'Country Music Capital of the World'.

Question 4: Where in the solar system is Olympus Mons, the tallest volcano known to man?

Olympus Mons is a shield volcano on Mars, and is the tallest volcano and largest shield volcano in the entire solar system. It stands at about 13.6 miles (22 kilometers) high, which is nearly three times the height of Mount Everest, the tallest mountain on Earth.

Florence Nightingale, originating from England, is often considered the founder of modern nursing. Her efforts to reform healthcare greatly improved standards in sanitation, patient care, and hospital planning. Her impactful role was particularly highlighted during the Crimean War.

Question 6: If The Black Widow is a comic book superhero, which universe does she belong to?

Black Widow is a character in the Marvel Comics universe, also known as Natasha Romanoff or Natalia Romanova. She's a former Russian spy and a member of the superhero team, The Avengers.

Scottish geologist James Hutton is often referred to as the "Father of Modern Geology" largely due to his work, 'Theory of the Earth', which introduced the concept of deep time and proposed that the Earth was much older than previously believed.

Paella is a traditional Spanish dish from the Valencia region, known for its robust flavours and its primary ingredient – rice. It's typically cooked in a shallow pan and can contain a variety of other ingredients including chicken, seafood, rabbit, and vegetables.

Question 9: Which case is considered the catalyst for the creation of the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit?

The Atlanta Child Murders, which occurred between 1979 and 1981, pressured the FBI to develop tools for criminal profiling. This led to the establishment of the Behavioral Science Unit, which has inspired media depictions in shows like "Mind Hunter."

In the Marvel Comics, Bruce Banner becomes the Hulk when he gets angry, thanks to an accidental gamma radiation exposure.

You got answers correct

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #118
Question 6: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩

Wow 7/10 today.....only the second time that I have achieved such a high score like this....I'm over the moon.🤓

Reactions: cardie

You got answers correct
As I keep saying reading trivia and obscure facts really helps the guessing on some of these answers LOL

My guesses are still pretty good 😊

You got answers correct
Very disappointed in myself. 5/10. 😢

You got answers correct
I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #118
Question 1: 🟥