SDC members react to $2.68 a day Centrelink pension increase

On Monday, we reported that more than 4.7 million Australians will receive a boost in their fortnightly payments starting March 20 to keep up with the increasing cost of living.

Single pensioners, disability pensioners and carers will receive an extra $37.50 each fortnight, and couples will receive an additional $56.40 per fortnight. This boost brings payments to $1,064 and $1,604, respectively.

The increase comes as part of the twice-yearly indexation and provides an additional, or should we say, a mere $2.68 per day.

Missed the news? You can catch up on the full article here.

While the news of an increase is always positive, it also sparked a range of emotions among pensioners and SDC members, with some expressing gratitude, others anger, and some even fear. In this article, we'll share some of the comments and reactions from the community about the recent pension increase. Because, at the end of the day, will an extra $18.75 per week make any difference at all?

Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 5.14.47 pm.png
The news prompted mixed reactions. Image Credit: Shutterstock

The responses were varied and, understandably, emotionally charged. So what did our SDC members have to say? Find out below:

Member @Franko kicked us off with some wry humour: ‘A whole $37 a fortnight between my wife and I. Gosh, we’d better not spend it all at once!’

We hear you, member @Franko.

Please note other members came forward to advise that the increase for couples is $56.40 per fortnight. However, the sentiment still rings true.

Member @Ricci made a point that many could relate to: ‘Whilst I don't want to come over as a grouch and I really do appreciate any extra in my payments just how far do they think an extra $18.75 a week will go? Do they live in the real world? Have they seen how much the grocery bill has gone up, not to mention power bills, insurance and fuel? How people on unemployment manage is beyond me. 🙁

In fact, on March 7th, the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) delivered its 10th-consecutive rate rise, leading to an 11-year high of 3.6 per cent.

Not only that but petrol is regularly over $2 per litre, and energy prices are soaring.

Amid the gratitude for the small increase, struggles remained. Just ask member @Camsam, who wrote: ‘Grateful for the increase as a single pensioner. It will not even cover the extra $600 in electricity cost increases since last May. So already eaten up in increased cost of living pressure. Still not going to get a holiday anytime soon!’

And for many, there was justified outrage and concern.

Member @Lynjw said: ‘The increase is pathetic. Hardly helps at all. We work and pay taxes all our lives and the government treats pensioners like 3rd class citizens.’

Member @Stina: ‘Simply we can't afford another increase, and I shudder to think what is going to happen to us.’

It’s clear the livelihood of Australians is at stake.

While there are discussions of the pension increasing at a faster rate than wages, the pension is by no means adequate. Some are shining light on the indexation system as being inherently flawed.

Regarding indexation, member @Robb44 offered this interesting insight:

‘So it is not the generosity of our well-heeled politicians seeking to improve pensioners' living standards?’

‘I gather that Australia's official poverty line for a family of two plus a couple of kids is somewhere in the $50,000-mark. I suggest that an Old Aged Pension of $37000-$38000 a year for a couple, means-tested, is inadequate especially if the pensioners are renting or still paying a mortgage (yes, some are).’

This was not the only astute observation regarding indexation.

Member @oilsfromoz explained: ‘There is a problem with this indexation process. The pensions (etc.) are increased to bring them up to the current cost of living. However, the cost of living and other impositions have been increasing since the last rise in benefits.’

‘So, there have been six months of additional costs to the "beneficiaries", and the new rates of pension and benefits don't cover these, just bring them up to cover the immediate situation. In the meantime, pensioners and others have had to dip into savings, go into debt to continue to live, and that ain't good enough.’

With the current system, it seems we will always be trailing behind.

And member @Lizzylou perfectly captured the feelings of so many: ‘I do know a pension is a right, not a privilege. We have all earned what is our due, and we also shouldn't have to be made to feel like we are begging to be able to live decently later in life.’

And that’s what this primarily comes down to, isn’t it? The right to live our senior years without financial worry or stress. After all, there has been a lifetime of hard work leading up to this point.

Before I go, I do want to shed some light on the positivity of some members. It’s true, we should be grateful even for the slight increase, but we also hear those of you who are struggling immensely.

Below are some comments from members who found the silver lining in the news:

Member @Marj53: ‘I am appreciative of any extra I get. I am also so glad I own my little unit. I don't know how people manage that rent. 😕

Member @Janeldennis: ‘Be grateful, there is always someone worse off. 🥰

Member @chrissietodd: ‘Certainly not very much, but being on a pension we all know how every little bit helps!’

The reactions to this announcement highlight the complex and varied experiences of those who rely on the age pension to make ends meet.

So how do you feel? Outraged? Really, what is $2.68 per day going to do for you? We want to hear from you, so have your say in the comments below. We've also crafted a poll where you can vote on how much you think the fortnightly pension should be. After all, those receiving the pension are in the best position to judge what is and isn’t sufficient. You can vote here.

We hope that by amplifying the voices and perspectives of Centrelink pensioners and SDC members, we can foster greater empathy, understanding, and advocacy. The more our voices are heard, the greater the chance of change.

If this situation has brought up unpleasant emotions, please consider contacting one of the many mental health hotlines listed here for support. And remember, you’re never alone.

Sponsored
On Monday, we reported that more than 4.7 million Australians will receive a boost in their fortnightly payments starting March 20 to keep up with the increasing cost of living.

Single pensioners, disability pensioners and carers will receive an extra $37.50 each fortnight, and couples will receive an additional $56.40 per fortnight. This boost brings payments to $1,064 and $1,604, respectively.

The increase comes as part of the twice-yearly indexation and provides an additional, or should we say, a mere $2.68 per day.

While the news of an increase is always positive, it also sparked a range of emotions among pensioners and SDC members, with some expressing gratitude, others anger, and some even fear. In this article, we'll share some of the comments and reactions from the community about the recent pension increase. Because, at the end of the day, will an extra $18.75 per week make any difference at all?

View attachment 15124

The responses were varied and, understandably, emotionally charged. So what did our SDC members have to say? Find out below:

Member @Franko kicked us off with some wry humour: ‘A whole $37 a fortnight between my wife and I. Gosh, we’d better not spend it all at once!’

Please note other members came forward to advise that the increase for couples is $56.40 per fortnight. However, the sentiment still rings true.

Member @Ricci made a point that many could relate to: ‘Whilst I don't want to come over as a grouch and I really do appreciate any extra in my payments just how far do they think an extra $18.75 a week will go? Do they live in the real world? Have they seen how much the grocery bill has gone up, not to mention power bills, insurance and fuel? How people on unemployment manage is beyond me. 🙁

In fact, on March 7th, the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) delivered its 10th-consecutive rate rise, leading to an 11-year high of 3.6 per cent.

Not only that but petrol is regularly over $2 per litre, and energy prices are soaring.

Amid the gratitude for the small increase, struggles remained. Just ask member @Camsam, who wrote: ‘Grateful for the increase as a single pensioner. It will not even cover the extra $600 in electricity cost increases since last May. So already eaten up in increased cost of living pressure. Still not going to get a holiday anytime soon!’

Member @Lynjw said: ‘The increase is pathetic. Hardly helps at all. We work and pay taxes all our lives and the government treats pensioners like 3rd class citizens.’

Member @Stina: ‘Simply we can't afford another increase, and I shudder to think what is going to happen to us.’

While there are discussions of the pension increasing at a faster rate than wages, the pension is by no means adequate. Some are shining light on the indexation system as being inherently flawed.

‘So it is not the generosity of our well-heeled politicians seeking to improve pensioners' living standards?’

‘I gather that Australia's official poverty line for a family of two plus a couple of kids is somewhere in the $50,000-mark. I suggest that an Old Aged Pension of $37000-$38000 a year for a couple, means-tested, is inadequate especially if the pensioners are renting or still paying a mortgage (yes, some are).’

Member @oilsfromoz explained: ‘There is a problem with this indexation process. The pensions (etc.) are increased to bring them up to the current cost of living. However, the cost of living and other impositions have been increasing since the last rise in benefits.’

‘So, there have been six months of additional costs to the "beneficiaries", and the new rates of pension and benefits don't cover these, just bring them up to cover the immediate situation. In the meantime, pensioners and others have had to dip into savings, go into debt to continue to live, and that ain't good enough.’

And member @Lizzylou perfectly captured the feelings of so many: ‘I do know a pension is a right, not a privilege. We have all earned what is our due, and we also shouldn't have to be made to feel like we are begging to be able to live decently later in life.’

And that’s what this primarily comes down to, isn’t it? The right to live our senior years without financial worry or stress. After all, there has been a lifetime of hard work leading up to this point.

Before I go, I do want to shed some light on the positivity of some members. It’s true, we should be grateful even for the slight increase, but we also hear those of you who are struggling immensely.

Member @Marj53: ‘I am appreciative of any extra I get. I am also so glad I own my little unit. I don't know how people manage that rent. 😕

Member @chrissietodd: ‘Certainly not very much, but being on a pension we all know how every little bit helps!’

The reactions to this announcement highlight the complex and varied experiences of those who rely on the age pension to make ends meet.

So how do you feel? Outraged? Really, what is $2.68 per day going to do for you? We want to hear from you, so have your say in the comments below. We've also crafted a poll where you can vote on how much you think the fortnightly pension should be. After all, those receiving the pension are in the best position to judge what is and isn’t sufficient. You can vote here.

We hope that by amplifying the voices and perspectives of Centrelink pensioners and SDC members, we can foster greater empathy, understanding, and advocacy. The more our voices are heard, the greater the chance of change.

If this situation has brought up unpleasant emotions, please consider contacting one of the many mental health hotlines listed here for support. And remember, you’re never alone.
It's not the sand that politicians need to get their heads out of, but each others arse?

I (well I must say "we") ARE GRATEFUL and HAPPY for what we receive.
At least we ARE NOT at the other end of the spectrum, like our 3 married daughters (with 12 grandchildren between them) ..... WHO have MORTGAGES that have interest rates SOARING every week or so ( or so it seems)
We worked hard, we paid taxes .... granted ..... now we DON'T WORK (well I do a bit casual to keep my mind active) ... we have the luxury of having grandkids when-ever we are "on duty" (which we love)
When we worked ... we lost those "moments" with our kids, when they were at school
( I was a stay-at-home-Mum - 'til the 'baby" started Kindy .... something I am eternally grateful to my husband for - who worked hard & long hours to make that happen )
So ... our Pensions are nice, they pay our bills & give us food, clothing & a bit of "fun money"
I still "budget" .... we are doing well ....

Hi Klongy,

I'm not sure how to respond to you, I hope you see this..... Couples don't have "DOUBLE"

- - - - - like there is one Mortgage Payment/Weekly Rental no matter if there's one or two people,

There is one Land Rates, One Water Bill One Electricity bill (of which we also get a discount on ALL THREE)
One Car (unless you want two) ..... Which our REGO is Free - we only pay Third Party & Insurance
We get $250 (each per year Fuel Cards)
** AND BONUS we get a cap of $2.50 on NSW PUBLIC TRANSPORT ...
we can travel from Newcastle to Sydney & back & ride Public Buses and go on Ferry Rides all over Sydney Harbour in a day trip AND it is STILL capped at $2.50

WE have "Seniors Card" where we get Discounts at many places (you just gotta ask) Free Cappuccinos at Macca's & Hungry Jacks for e.g.

Our kids have mortgages where there is INTEREST "flying so high" that one of our Sons-in-Law has had to work Inter-State - just to met their new HIGH mortgage payments - whilst we are lucky & sit here safe, he is missing his kids & wife :-(
Add up all the stuff above & REALLY calculate "how much you get per week" ....
So what, we get $401 a week (each) ............. I am GRATEFUL - I have a roof, a family, health - so maybe I skimp on Rump, for mince ... I budget, I plan - we make do and are GRATEFUL to be alive
because the alternative SUCKS
Well done, I am like you grateful for what we get and we do not live the High life. we neither smoke nor drink alcohol and we budget. We do not go to the movies or shows. s own our own home. Those that I feel sympathy for are the single people renting

Reactions: siameezer
i am grateful. Why do people feel the government must pay for everything from medicare to eating, and more. We get something yet more is wanted. Sorry, but we did know we were going to get older and money would be a necessity.

• Angry
Reactions: siameezer

View attachment 15124

I am very surprised that every time this issue comes up, no one suggests an alternative! I believe that if the government removed the GST payments on good and services for pensioners we would not have to worry about how much each rise of the pension is going to be, just a thought! I was always taught that if you are going to dispute something you must always have an alternative to put forward.

I recently wrote to my local member about the pension and explained how difficult and frightening it was to look down the track wondering if I can pay my bills let alone love any kind of enjoyable life. This was the reply.

Mr Russell Broadbent MP
Member for Monash
46C Albert Street
WARRAGUL VIC 3820
TheHonAmandaRishworthMP
Minister for Social Services
Ref: MC23-000747
DMrae Borughen Russell
Thank you for your email dated 25 January
2023 to t h e Minister for Government Services, the Hon
Bill Shorten MP, on behalf of your constituent, Mrs Sheryl Lorenz of Venus Bay, concerning the
Age Pension. As the matter raised falls within my portfolio responsibilities, your email has been
forwarded to me for reply.
Australia's social security system is a means-tested, residence-based system, designed to provide
income support to peoplewho, for reasons such as age, unemployment, disability or caring
responsibilities, are unable to support themselves. As a non-contributory social security payment, the
pension is not based on past income or contributions, or taxespaid during a person's working life.
The Age Pension is the Government's main income support payment for people who have reached
Age Pension age (currently 66.5 years). The Government is committed to ensuring the Age Pension Si
sustainable into the future. Australians are living longer than ever before - when the Age Pension was
introduced in 1909, the average male life expectancy at birth was 55. It is now over 80. Consistent with
legislation passed in 2009, theAge Pension qualification age has been increasing by 6 months every
2years until it reaches 67 years on 1 July 2023.
While Australia hasa qualifying age for the Age Pension, there is no official retirement age in
Australia - retirement decisions are a matter for each individual.
Pensions, including the Age Pension, are paid at the highest rate of income support in the social
security system. Rates are indexed twice a year, in March and September, to keep pace with the cost of
living. They are indexed to the higher of the increase in the Consumer Price Index and the increase in
the Pensioner and Beneficiary Living Cost Index. Rates are also benchmarked to Male Total Average
Weekly Earnings, to align them with community living standards.
The current Age Pension rate for a couple combined (including the Pension Supplement and Energy
Supplement) is $1547.60 a fortnight. Rates will next be indexed on 20 March 2023.
Pensioners can also receive a range of other assistance to help meet certain costs, such as
Commonwealth Rent Assistance for those renting in the private rental market and the Pensioner
Concession Card. This provides subsidised prescription medicines under the Pharmaceutical
Benefits Scheme and subsidised health care and related products.

State and territory governments and some private providers also offer Pensioner Concession Card
holders discounts on other goods and services, such as utility bills. Further information about
concessions available to cardholders in Victoria is available:
www.services.dfth. vic.gov.au/concessions-and-benefits.
Itrust theinformation provided will be of assistance to Mrs Lorenz.
Yours sincerely
And
Amanda Rishworth M P

What does anyone think of this stock standard reply which I might add did not address many of my raised concerns.
Sounds like we (pensioners) are all just a nuisance to the Government and perhaps we should have all been considerate and died when we were 55!

Reactions: Jennie

View attachment 15124

Of course it is a drop in the ocean, however that drop will pay for a little more food for my pets. I can be frugal with myself but the pets get me out of bed each day.

I recently wrote to my local member about the pension and explained how difficult and frightening it was to look down the track wondering if I can pay my bills let alone love any kind of enjoyable life. This was the reply.

Mr Russell Broadbent MP
Member for Monash
46C Albert Street
WARRAGUL VIC 3820
TheHonAmandaRishworthMP
DMrae Borughen Russell
Bill Shorten MP, on behalf of your constituent, Mrs Sheryl Lorenz of Venus Bay, concerning the
Age Pension. As the matter raised falls within my portfolio responsibilities, your email has been
Australia's social security system is a means-tested, residence-based system, designed to provide
income support to peoplewho, for reasons such as age, unemployment, disability or caring
responsibilities, are unable to support themselves. As a non-contributory social security payment, the
pension is not based on past income or contributions, or taxespaid during a person's working life.
The Age Pension is the Government's main income support payment for people who have reached
Age Pension age (currently 66.5 years). The Government is committed to ensuring the Age Pension Si
sustainable into the future. Australians are living longer than ever before - when the Age Pension was
introduced in 1909, the average male life expectancy at birth was 55. It is now over 80. Consistent with
legislation passed in 2009, theAge Pension qualification age has been increasing by 6 months every
While Australia hasa qualifying age for the Age Pension, there is no official retirement age in
Pensions, including the Age Pension, are paid at the highest rate of income support in the social
security system. Rates are indexed twice a year, in March and September, to keep pace with the cost of
living. They are indexed to the higher of the increase in the Consumer Price Index and the increase in
the Pensioner and Beneficiary Living Cost Index. Rates are also benchmarked to Male Total Average
The current Age Pension rate for a couple combined (including the Pension Supplement and Energy
Supplement) is $1547.60 a fortnight. Rates will next be indexed on 20 March 2023.
Pensioners can also receive a range of other assistance to help meet certain costs, such as
Commonwealth Rent Assistance for those renting in the private rental market and the Pensioner
Concession Card. This provides subsidised prescription medicines under the Pharmaceutical

State and territory governments and some private providers also offer Pensioner Concession Card
holders discounts on other goods and services, such as utility bills. Further information about
Yours sincerely
And
Amanda Rishworth M P

What does anyone think of this stock standard reply which I might add did not address many of my raised concerns.
Her answer is incorrect in that, every tax payer contributed to the aged pension during their tax paying years. A percentage was supposedly put aside as a pension contribution. I forget what it was called or how much was set aside, but considering their are a lot of people not eligible for the pension who did contribute it should have been a considerably large fund. Politicians never answer questions put th them. I think there must be special training taken when they are elected on how to speak waffle.

I am grateful too for any increase, and glad I live in a country where there is an Aged Pension.

View attachment 15124

My thoughts on Pension increases is that this increase is to cover for the cost of living for the last 6 months. I wonder how things would change if the same rules applied to the Politicians and that they always had to play catch up. Remembering that most if not all that are on a pension have for most of our lives contributed to that fund and save for an investment bungle and then the Liberals confiscating the fund into consolidated revenue. This is not welfare we have contibuted to this fund since it inception.

why should pensioners who have worked hard all there lives (no dole in my day) get a pension that is way below the minimum wage. I rely solely on my pension I have no extras so it's darn hard. I run a car & have my dog. These are becoming luxuries but I will do without myself to keep my dog & run my car. We should be above the minimum wage. Where is the respect to us baby boomers. Meat is unaffordable so it's about time Australia pull up there socks.

Mr Russell Broadbent MP
Member for Monash
46C Albert Street
WARRAGUL VIC 3820
TheHonAmandaRishworthMP
DMrae Borughen Russell

Yours sincerely
And
Amanda Rishworth M P

When we were offered a place as a ten-pound pom in 1965 we were told it was to bolster the White Australian policy & that our taxes guaranteed a future pension. The subsequent Governments have changed their tune on many levels.ie the importation of many ethnic groups that do not want to help Australia grow, but are here only for what they can get out of Australia ie. free handouts on arrival & entry into the commonwealth. So they can travel when they find somewhere with a better deal for them. As a rent-paying pensioner, the only way I can afford my rent is for my excellent ex-son-in-law to live in the house with me as my carer. The rise in the pension only matches the raise in our new lease. We certainly can't afford to move to somewhere cheaper as we have lived here for 15 years & have accumulated a lot of stuff in that time.

View attachment 15124

Of course that amount will not buy much more! BUT, we should feel privileged we receive the pension! As so many other countries receive nothing at all. So many people come to our country & receive the pension. I am very grateful for whatever they choose to pay us. I also believe if we are all careful with our money we can make it last. 💐

I (well I must say "we") ARE GRATEFUL and HAPPY for what we receive.
At least we ARE NOT at the other end of the spectrum, like our 3 married daughters (with 12 grandchildren between them) ..... WHO have MORTGAGES that have interest rates SOARING every week or so ( or so it seems)
We worked hard, we paid taxes .... granted ..... now we DON'T WORK (well I do a bit casual to keep my mind active) ... we have the luxury of having grandkids when-ever we are "on duty" (which we love)
When we worked ... we lost those "moments" with our kids, when they were at school
( I was a stay-at-home-Mum - 'til the 'baby" started Kindy .... something I am eternally grateful to my husband for - who worked hard & long hours to make that happen )
So ... our Pensions are nice, they pay our bills & give us food, clothing & a bit of "fun money"
I still "budget" .... we are doing well ....

Hi Klongy,

I'm not sure how to respond to you, I hope you see this..... Couples don't have "DOUBLE"

- - - - - like there is one Mortgage Payment/Weekly Rental no matter if there's one or two people,

There is one Land Rates, One Water Bill One Electricity bill (of which we also get a discount on ALL THREE)
One Car (unless you want two) ..... Which our REGO is Free - we only pay Third Party & Insurance
We get $250 (each per year Fuel Cards)
** AND BONUS we get a cap of $2.50 on NSW PUBLIC TRANSPORT ...
we can travel from Newcastle to Sydney & back & ride Public Buses and go on Ferry Rides all over Sydney Harbour in a day trip AND it is STILL capped at $2.50

WE have "Seniors Card" where we get Discounts at many places (you just gotta ask) Free Cappuccinos at Macca's & Hungry Jacks for e.g.

Our kids have mortgages where there is INTEREST "flying so high" that one of our Sons-in-Law has had to work Inter-State - just to met their new HIGH mortgage payments - whilst we are lucky & sit here safe, he is missing his kids & wife :-(
Add up all the stuff above & REALLY calculate "how much you get per week" ....
So what, we get $401 a week (each) ............. I am GRATEFUL - I have a roof, a family, health - so maybe I skimp on Rump, for mince ... I budget, I plan - we make do and are GRATEFUL to be alive
because the alternative SUCKS
At the bottom of Klongys post click on reply and they will then know that they are replying to you

View attachment 15124

I have just received the MyGov email regarding the Centrelink increase and although the increase is starting from the 20th of this month a mere $4.00 will be added to this weeks pension, then it will be the following fortnight before any increase is seen in our payments. I have no idea how to afford meat these days let alone meet the Utilities payments each month. Any luxuries have long been a thing of the past ...Heaven help us

Nowhere

View attachment 15124

near enough

No, it's not enough. Aged pensioners have paid taxes, all our lives, and now we struggle to survive.
I'm fortunate to be in state housing, but it is still a struggle.

Mr Russell Broadbent MP
Member for Monash
46C Albert Street
WARRAGUL VIC 3820
TheHonAmandaRishworthMP
DMrae Borughen Russell

Yours sincerely
And
Amanda Rishworth M P

Honestly, I thought the reply would have covered all issues relating to the Payment and not how the Payment is spent. Acceptable.

I have to be on a special diet and $2.68 a day won’t be enough to buy 1litre of special milk and sourdough bread for 1 day!!!!

View attachment 15124

It doesn't matter what people complain about. The amount won't change. I'm just glad we get something