SDC members react to $2.68 a day Centrelink pension increase

On Monday, we reported that more than 4.7 million Australians will receive a boost in their fortnightly payments starting March 20 to keep up with the increasing cost of living.

Single pensioners, disability pensioners and carers will receive an extra $37.50 each fortnight, and couples will receive an additional $56.40 per fortnight. This boost brings payments to $1,064 and $1,604, respectively.

The increase comes as part of the twice-yearly indexation and provides an additional, or should we say, a mere $2.68 per day.

Missed the news? You can catch up on the full article here.

While the news of an increase is always positive, it also sparked a range of emotions among pensioners and SDC members, with some expressing gratitude, others anger, and some even fear. In this article, we'll share some of the comments and reactions from the community about the recent pension increase. Because, at the end of the day, will an extra $18.75 per week make any difference at all?

Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 5.14.47 pm.png
The news prompted mixed reactions. Image Credit: Shutterstock

The responses were varied and, understandably, emotionally charged. So what did our SDC members have to say? Find out below:

Member @Franko kicked us off with some wry humour: ‘A whole $37 a fortnight between my wife and I. Gosh, we’d better not spend it all at once!’

We hear you, member @Franko.

Please note other members came forward to advise that the increase for couples is $56.40 per fortnight. However, the sentiment still rings true.

Member @Ricci made a point that many could relate to: ‘Whilst I don't want to come over as a grouch and I really do appreciate any extra in my payments just how far do they think an extra $18.75 a week will go? Do they live in the real world? Have they seen how much the grocery bill has gone up, not to mention power bills, insurance and fuel? How people on unemployment manage is beyond me. 🙁

In fact, on March 7th, the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) delivered its 10th-consecutive rate rise, leading to an 11-year high of 3.6 per cent.

Not only that but petrol is regularly over $2 per litre, and energy prices are soaring.

Amid the gratitude for the small increase, struggles remained. Just ask member @Camsam, who wrote: ‘Grateful for the increase as a single pensioner. It will not even cover the extra $600 in electricity cost increases since last May. So already eaten up in increased cost of living pressure. Still not going to get a holiday anytime soon!’

And for many, there was justified outrage and concern.

Member @Lynjw said: ‘The increase is pathetic. Hardly helps at all. We work and pay taxes all our lives and the government treats pensioners like 3rd class citizens.’

Member @Stina: ‘Simply we can't afford another increase, and I shudder to think what is going to happen to us.’

It’s clear the livelihood of Australians is at stake.

While there are discussions of the pension increasing at a faster rate than wages, the pension is by no means adequate. Some are shining light on the indexation system as being inherently flawed.

Regarding indexation, member @Robb44 offered this interesting insight:

‘So it is not the generosity of our well-heeled politicians seeking to improve pensioners' living standards?’

‘I gather that Australia's official poverty line for a family of two plus a couple of kids is somewhere in the $50,000-mark. I suggest that an Old Aged Pension of $37000-$38000 a year for a couple, means-tested, is inadequate especially if the pensioners are renting or still paying a mortgage (yes, some are).’

This was not the only astute observation regarding indexation.

Member @oilsfromoz explained: ‘There is a problem with this indexation process. The pensions (etc.) are increased to bring them up to the current cost of living. However, the cost of living and other impositions have been increasing since the last rise in benefits.’

‘So, there have been six months of additional costs to the "beneficiaries", and the new rates of pension and benefits don't cover these, just bring them up to cover the immediate situation. In the meantime, pensioners and others have had to dip into savings, go into debt to continue to live, and that ain't good enough.’

With the current system, it seems we will always be trailing behind.

And member @Lizzylou perfectly captured the feelings of so many: ‘I do know a pension is a right, not a privilege. We have all earned what is our due, and we also shouldn't have to be made to feel like we are begging to be able to live decently later in life.’

And that’s what this primarily comes down to, isn’t it? The right to live our senior years without financial worry or stress. After all, there has been a lifetime of hard work leading up to this point.

Before I go, I do want to shed some light on the positivity of some members. It’s true, we should be grateful even for the slight increase, but we also hear those of you who are struggling immensely.

Below are some comments from members who found the silver lining in the news:

Member @Marj53: ‘I am appreciative of any extra I get. I am also so glad I own my little unit. I don't know how people manage that rent. 😕

Member @Janeldennis: ‘Be grateful, there is always someone worse off. 🥰

Member @chrissietodd: ‘Certainly not very much, but being on a pension we all know how every little bit helps!’

The reactions to this announcement highlight the complex and varied experiences of those who rely on the age pension to make ends meet.

So how do you feel? Outraged? Really, what is $2.68 per day going to do for you? We want to hear from you, so have your say in the comments below. We've also crafted a poll where you can vote on how much you think the fortnightly pension should be. After all, those receiving the pension are in the best position to judge what is and isn’t sufficient. You can vote here.

We hope that by amplifying the voices and perspectives of Centrelink pensioners and SDC members, we can foster greater empathy, understanding, and advocacy. The more our voices are heard, the greater the chance of change.

If this situation has brought up unpleasant emotions, please consider contacting one of the many mental health hotlines listed here for support. And remember, you’re never alone.

Sponsored
On Monday, we reported that more than 4.7 million Australians will receive a boost in their fortnightly payments starting March 20 to keep up with the increasing cost of living.

Single pensioners, disability pensioners and carers will receive an extra $37.50 each fortnight, and couples will receive an additional $56.40 per fortnight. This boost brings payments to $1,064 and $1,604, respectively.

The increase comes as part of the twice-yearly indexation and provides an additional, or should we say, a mere $2.68 per day.

While the news of an increase is always positive, it also sparked a range of emotions among pensioners and SDC members, with some expressing gratitude, others anger, and some even fear. In this article, we'll share some of the comments and reactions from the community about the recent pension increase. Because, at the end of the day, will an extra $18.75 per week make any difference at all?

View attachment 15124

The responses were varied and, understandably, emotionally charged. So what did our SDC members have to say? Find out below:

Member @Franko kicked us off with some wry humour: ‘A whole $37 a fortnight between my wife and I. Gosh, we’d better not spend it all at once!’

Please note other members came forward to advise that the increase for couples is $56.40 per fortnight. However, the sentiment still rings true.

Member @Ricci made a point that many could relate to: ‘Whilst I don't want to come over as a grouch and I really do appreciate any extra in my payments just how far do they think an extra $18.75 a week will go? Do they live in the real world? Have they seen how much the grocery bill has gone up, not to mention power bills, insurance and fuel? How people on unemployment manage is beyond me. 🙁

In fact, on March 7th, the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) delivered its 10th-consecutive rate rise, leading to an 11-year high of 3.6 per cent.

Not only that but petrol is regularly over $2 per litre, and energy prices are soaring.

Amid the gratitude for the small increase, struggles remained. Just ask member @Camsam, who wrote: ‘Grateful for the increase as a single pensioner. It will not even cover the extra $600 in electricity cost increases since last May. So already eaten up in increased cost of living pressure. Still not going to get a holiday anytime soon!’

Member @Lynjw said: ‘The increase is pathetic. Hardly helps at all. We work and pay taxes all our lives and the government treats pensioners like 3rd class citizens.’

Member @Stina: ‘Simply we can't afford another increase, and I shudder to think what is going to happen to us.’

While there are discussions of the pension increasing at a faster rate than wages, the pension is by no means adequate. Some are shining light on the indexation system as being inherently flawed.

‘So it is not the generosity of our well-heeled politicians seeking to improve pensioners' living standards?’

‘I gather that Australia's official poverty line for a family of two plus a couple of kids is somewhere in the $50,000-mark. I suggest that an Old Aged Pension of $37000-$38000 a year for a couple, means-tested, is inadequate especially if the pensioners are renting or still paying a mortgage (yes, some are).’

Member @oilsfromoz explained: ‘There is a problem with this indexation process. The pensions (etc.) are increased to bring them up to the current cost of living. However, the cost of living and other impositions have been increasing since the last rise in benefits.’

‘So, there have been six months of additional costs to the "beneficiaries", and the new rates of pension and benefits don't cover these, just bring them up to cover the immediate situation. In the meantime, pensioners and others have had to dip into savings, go into debt to continue to live, and that ain't good enough.’

And member @Lizzylou perfectly captured the feelings of so many: ‘I do know a pension is a right, not a privilege. We have all earned what is our due, and we also shouldn't have to be made to feel like we are begging to be able to live decently later in life.’

And that’s what this primarily comes down to, isn’t it? The right to live our senior years without financial worry or stress. After all, there has been a lifetime of hard work leading up to this point.

Before I go, I do want to shed some light on the positivity of some members. It’s true, we should be grateful even for the slight increase, but we also hear those of you who are struggling immensely.

Member @Marj53: ‘I am appreciative of any extra I get. I am also so glad I own my little unit. I don't know how people manage that rent. 😕

Member @chrissietodd: ‘Certainly not very much, but being on a pension we all know how every little bit helps!’

The reactions to this announcement highlight the complex and varied experiences of those who rely on the age pension to make ends meet.

So how do you feel? Outraged? Really, what is $2.68 per day going to do for you? We want to hear from you, so have your say in the comments below. We've also crafted a poll where you can vote on how much you think the fortnightly pension should be. After all, those receiving the pension are in the best position to judge what is and isn’t sufficient. You can vote here.

We hope that by amplifying the voices and perspectives of Centrelink pensioners and SDC members, we can foster greater empathy, understanding, and advocacy. The more our voices are heard, the greater the chance of change.

If this situation has brought up unpleasant emotions, please consider contacting one of the many mental health hotlines listed here for support. And remember, you’re never alone.
Any increase is good but sadly it’s not enough to keep up with all the price increases 😞

View attachment 15124

You know it's funny how people talk about the cost of living etc. but one thing they don't mention is the fact that recipients of centrelink who live in Government Housing never ever get the full increase because when we do get one our rent goes up so they actually get a portion of it back it might not be much but it still accounts for a loaf of bread and 3ltrs of milk, or close enough, that we miss out on each week.

View attachment 15124

I am grateful I live in a place that has an old age pension. There are countries that don't and have to depend on family to survive. Being 68, university educated, 15 years experience in one industry and 25 years experience in another, plus shorter stints in other fields, now means I am useless and totally unemployable despite being in excellent mental and physical health. I guess one of the benefits of living in an ageist society is that I am now considered too feeble to look after myself and the nanny state supports me.

View attachment 15124

It’s better than nothing

View attachment 15124

Why is there different between single pensioner than a married couple they have double cost. I know it is hard for singles but as couple we have some double cost that single people don’t have so why the different amounts.

You know it's funny how people talk about the cost of living etc. but one thing they don't mention is the fact that recipients of centrelink who live in Government Housing never ever get the full increase because when we do get one our rent goes up so they actually get a portion of it back it might not be much but it still accounts for a loaf of bread and 3ltrs of milk, or close enough, that we miss out on each week.
I think those who actually have public housing are lucky , my mother who is turning 75 is paying full rent and on a pension and the only reason she can pay it is that my brother who is on a disability pension lives with her but after sharing the rent they don't have much left. It will be another 10 years before she can get into public housing.

Why is there different between single pensioner than a married couple they have double cost. I know it is hard for singles but as couple we have some double cost that single people don’t have so why the different amounts.
I think they look at it that you both are under the one roof. Electricity for 1 extra person doesn't double. If my husband and me lived in separate houses our we would pay more in bills and groceries than living together

I recently wrote to my local member about the pension and explained how difficult and frightening it was to look down the track wondering if I can pay my bills let alone love any kind of enjoyable life. This was the reply.

Mr Russell Broadbent MP
Member for Monash
46C Albert Street
WARRAGUL VIC 3820
TheHonAmandaRishworthMP
Minister for Social Services
Ref: MC23-000747
DMrae Borughen Russell
Thank you for your email dated 25 January
2023 to t h e Minister for Government Services, the Hon
Bill Shorten MP, on behalf of your constituent, Mrs Sheryl Lorenz of Venus Bay, concerning the
Age Pension. As the matter raised falls within my portfolio responsibilities, your email has been
forwarded to me for reply.
Australia's social security system is a means-tested, residence-based system, designed to provide
income support to peoplewho, for reasons such as age, unemployment, disability or caring
responsibilities, are unable to support themselves. As a non-contributory social security payment, the
pension is not based on past income or contributions, or taxespaid during a person's working life.
The Age Pension is the Government's main income support payment for people who have reached
Age Pension age (currently 66.5 years). The Government is committed to ensuring the Age Pension Si
sustainable into the future. Australians are living longer than ever before - when the Age Pension was
introduced in 1909, the average male life expectancy at birth was 55. It is now over 80. Consistent with
legislation passed in 2009, theAge Pension qualification age has been increasing by 6 months every
2years until it reaches 67 years on 1 July 2023.
While Australia hasa qualifying age for the Age Pension, there is no official retirement age in
Australia - retirement decisions are a matter for each individual.
Pensions, including the Age Pension, are paid at the highest rate of income support in the social
security system. Rates are indexed twice a year, in March and September, to keep pace with the cost of
living. They are indexed to the higher of the increase in the Consumer Price Index and the increase in
the Pensioner and Beneficiary Living Cost Index. Rates are also benchmarked to Male Total Average
Weekly Earnings, to align them with community living standards.
The current Age Pension rate for a couple combined (including the Pension Supplement and Energy
Supplement) is $1547.60 a fortnight. Rates will next be indexed on 20 March 2023.
Pensioners can also receive a range of other assistance to help meet certain costs, such as
Commonwealth Rent Assistance for those renting in the private rental market and the Pensioner
Concession Card. This provides subsidised prescription medicines under the Pharmaceutical
Benefits Scheme and subsidised health care and related products.

State and territory governments and some private providers also offer Pensioner Concession Card
holders discounts on other goods and services, such as utility bills. Further information about
concessions available to cardholders in Victoria is available:
www.services.dfth. vic.gov.au/concessions-and-benefits.
Itrust theinformation provided will be of assistance to Mrs Lorenz.
Yours sincerely
And
Amanda Rishworth M P

What does anyone think of this stock standard reply which I might add did not address many of my raised concerns.

I think they look at it that you both are under the one roof. Electricity for 1 extra person doesn't double. If my husband and me lived in separate houses our we would pay more in bills and groceries than living together
Still the way I see it is if I was on my own I would still have around the same bills for utilities, car rego, insurances etc. food would be cheaper but not a whole lot. I find the discrepancy between single and couple disturbing. It does not cost half as much to live as one. Many bills remain the same. Rates and as I mentioned vehicle expenses and much more.

the difference is only the cost of food all other costs remain the same, they have increased the amount a pensioner can earn but many cannot earn more due to health or physical conditions

Actually couples don't have double costs in a lot of instances. Yes I do agree food costs are certainly doubled, as are medication and transport (public transport) and that can be tough. If there are two of you watching TV in a room with a light on it is the same electricity costs as a single person doing the same thing. Cooking a meal for two uses the same power, be it gas or electricity, as it does for a single person. A heater or fan run in a room costs the same for a couple or a single. It costs the same for a single to replace an appliance, get a car serviced or get a household repair done as it does for a couple. I just think everyone, regardless of their marital status, deserves a higher payment than we get right now.

View attachment 15124

Whilst I appreciate any increase, it doesn't even play catch up. everything has increased in price immensely, an example is a particular brand of tasty cheese that I buy and love was $7.00 last year, it is now $9.00 the result is I will go without, there are some things I won't substitute for poorer quality, that's just one item in my minimal shopping. The Politicians reap in mega dollars in wages and perks, Pensioners are struggling to put food on their tables so this increase in benefits is next to useless for us.

View attachment 15124

Definitely inadequate just to make ends meet the increase needs to be substantial. The increase needs to be a minimum of $7.00 per day for singles and $14 per day for couples and that would still hold them on the poverty line. For so many who are already skipping meals not taking supplementary medications it’s looking like a very long cold winter with most not going to afford to using heating. I know we are so so conservative we no longer shower daily, meat is only consumed 3 to 4 times a week twice a week we use only leftovers on toast or have baked beans or an egg for dinner. We do not eat out and only have takeaway once or twice a year usually when we have no other option due to unusual circumstances. In an attempt to save on shopping and any waste each week I leave my shopping to one day later it stretches the food out slightly but in the long run it’s 52 days of saving.

I appreciate any little rise, but as someone else said, Department of Housing not only increases the rent but calculates the rent on the energy supplement as well. I recently asked for a rent review and got an increase in rent alhtough I no longer had any super left and was not earning income from it. I really don't think they should be able to calculate rent on the energy supplement as well but they do. I have asked for them to look at it again but really dont' expect to hear an answer from them. The little bit extra we get a fortnight from the increase might by a can of cat food for my cat but won't go far towards the energy bill and phone bills, sadly.:(

View attachment 15124

Our county’s cannot afford to pay more at this stage it really needs to work on young people who refuse to work no work no taxes simple people fro m 55 up in most cases find it very hard to get work as they are considered past their useful prime very sad as many of those are well educated I know the government supports older employment but that doesn’t get them employed as employers do not take them on and young ones are expected to have experience at 16. The employment services help no one but their own pockets this needs a shakeup also

View attachment 15124

I am greatful. When I walk to get my groceries ( fuel too expensive) and am hot I can buy a Maccs soft serve. Then buy a 2nd one for the trip home.

View attachment 15124

An absolute insult, our rent is nearly $500 a week, we never got the opportunity to buy, with the increases in fuel prices, groceries, utilities etc, it's no way enough!
I had to do everything for my parents, bill paying, grocery shopping, housework and take my Mother to doctors appointments, my Father was a recluse, would not leave the house, my mother was debilitated with crippling rheumatoid arthritis, so thankfully my husband knew I had a lot on my plate and worked his butt off, he had to pay child support for four kids from a previous marriage, that went on for 15 years and it was a huge amount that took much needed funds away from us and our young son. I worked all my life in the building industry up until I had my son when I was 34, left school at 15 and started work in the city, then had to juggle everything going between my parents and doing for them and doing what I had to do at our rental, so yeah people are quick to bloody judge saying things like " at your age you should have a house " yeah right, but the plus side is our son is still at home with us at nearly 28 because it seems some young women these days don't appreciate a man who was brought up the right way! so two failed relationships for him even though he went above and beyond. They were extremely lazy individuals anyway! so he's enjoying time with us and his mates. So don't always assume people in their 60's should own their own place, circumstances are different for all.

Last edited:

View attachment 15124

I (well I must say "we") ARE GRATEFUL and HAPPY for what we receive.
At least we ARE NOT at the other end of the spectrum, like our 3 married daughters (with 12 grandchildren between them) ..... WHO have MORTGAGES that have interest rates SOARING every week or so ( or so it seems)
We worked hard, we paid taxes .... granted ..... now we DON'T WORK (well I do a bit casual to keep my mind active) ... we have the luxury of having grandkids when-ever we are "on duty" (which we love)
When we worked ... we lost those "moments" with our kids, when they were at school
( I was a stay-at-home-Mum - 'til the 'baby" started Kindy .... something I am eternally grateful to my husband for - who worked hard & long hours to make that happen )
So ... our Pensions are nice, they pay our bills & give us food, clothing & a bit of "fun money"
I still "budget" .... we are doing well ....

View attachment 15124

Hi Klongy,

I'm not sure how to respond to you, I hope you see this..... Couples don't have "DOUBLE"

- - - - - like there is one Mortgage Payment/Weekly Rental no matter if there's one or two people,

There is one Land Rates, One Water Bill One Electricity bill (of which we also get a discount on ALL THREE)
One Car (unless you want two) ..... Which our REGO is Free - we only pay Third Party & Insurance
We get $250 (each per year Fuel Cards)
** AND BONUS we get a cap of $2.50 on NSW PUBLIC TRANSPORT ...
we can travel from Newcastle to Sydney & back & ride Public Buses and go on Ferry Rides all over Sydney Harbour in a day trip AND it is STILL capped at $2.50

WE have "Seniors Card" where we get Discounts at many places (you just gotta ask) Free Cappuccinos at Macca's & Hungry Jacks for e.g.

Our kids have mortgages where there is INTEREST "flying so high" that one of our Sons-in-Law has had to work Inter-State - just to met their new HIGH mortgage payments - whilst we are lucky & sit here safe, he is missing his kids & wife :-(
Add up all the stuff above & REALLY calculate "how much you get per week" ....
So what, we get $401 a week (each) ............. I am GRATEFUL - I have a roof, a family, health - so maybe I skimp on Rump, for mince ... I budget, I plan - we make do and are GRATEFUL to be alive
because the alternative SUCKS