SDC Cooks Winning Entry: @Suzanne rose’s Cheese Pies

Hello members!

Today, we are thrilled to feature the winning SDC Cooks entry. This was such a tough competition to judge and we had to bring the whole team in to judge. It was a close call but member @Suzanne rose pulled into the lead. Not only do these Cheese Pies look and sound delicious but the detail that went into sharing step-by-step photos along with the instructions really impressed the team.

Thank you so much to everyone who entered. Looking for some dinner inspiration? You can read the entries here.

Now, let’s hand over to member @Suzanne rose.

This is my family's recipe I am sharing. It's my ultimate recipe

This recipe is THE recipe that if I post that I've made them on our family WhatsApp all my kids will come home.

A little time-consuming but really worth it.

I've had a cafe wanting me to make these for them.

Makes around 80 pies.

Tip
The recipe can be halved, but use the same amount of yeast.

CHEESE PIES

Recipe is by me
Photos are by me.

Prep time around 40 minutes
Cooking time around 20 minutes

Photo_20230904_083556_0000.png
Image Credit: Member @Suzanne rose & Shutterstock (cartoon)

INGREDIENTS

Cheese mixture

500g Australian feta cheese, grated
500g ricotta cheese
1 small bunch of mint, finely chopped
2 eggs

Dough Mixture

1kg plain flour
375g unsalted butter melted
1 egg extra for glazing
1 small block of fresh yeast around the size of a 50c coin or a bit bigger (available at most continental delis)
2 cups of warm water.

METHOD

Cheese

1. Combine grated feta, ricotta, eggs and mint in a bowl and mix until completely combined.
2. Set aside.

Dough

1. In a jug, add fresh yeast and 1/4 cup of warm water, and mix until yeast is combined with water.

2. In a large bowl, add flour. Make a well and pour in melted butter, yeast mixture and remaining water.

3. Mix together with your hands, then start kneading. The mixture will be sloppy but as you continue kneading, it will magically form into a ball. Kneading takes about 10 minutes...it's a good workout.

Assembling

Keep the dough covered with a clean tea towel, it's normal for it to rise as you are making it.

Photo_20230904_083700_0000.png
Follow along from left to right. Image Credit: Member @Suzanne rose

1. Take pieces of dough, the size of a large walnut, maybe slightly bigger. Knead slightly, then roll with a rolling pin to form somewhat of a circle (see pictures).

2. Add a tablespoon of cheese mixture to the centre of the circle and fold over. Using a glass to cut and seal edges (see picture).

3. Place on oven trays lined with baking paper, spread out as they rise in the oven, lightly brush with the extra egg and cook in a preheated oven at 180 C or 160 C fan-forced for around 25 minutes.

MERGE 2
Image Credit: Member @Suzanne rose

4. Remove from the oven and let cool on the tray for 5 minutes, then add to a large bowl that is lined with a clean tea towel and cover pies with a tea towel. This will stop them drying out and keep them soft.

 Enjoy

Note from Editor:

I can’t wait to try this recipe myself! If you do try it, let us know in the comments below! Thank you again to @Suzanne rose for sharing and to everyone who entered, that was a tough one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
This is 7 of my 8 daughters taken today. The bride is the one in the white dress

Screenshot_20230910_210417_Gallery.jpg
The one on the left is a teacher, then a nurse , then a teacher but us doing her masters atm, police officer, at uni doing nursing ,teacher , geriatric nurse

• Love
Reactions: Penny4
Thank you, this made my day.

This is a recipe you won't find anywhere, and I have never shared it outside of my family.

It was my husbands great great grandmother's recipe.
She was born and raised on a little Greek Island called Kassos.
Wild and Beautiful ... Kasos island is the southernmost island of the Dodecanese complex, with a rich history and common features with the nearby island of Crete.
We hope to go there next year.
Most of his family are now on the island of Rhodes

I hope that some of you will actually make this recipe.
It's not that hard , I guarantee you will love them

View attachment 29027

This is the exact same recipe and food my grandmother, mother and father used to make. I remember watching my mother and father make these regularly as a child and me and my siblings would heartily eat them. My father was Maltese, so he is from the Mediterranean belt approximately 750 kilometers from Greece. You will find the Mediterranean people eat and have similar tastes in food with special signature dishes. This recipe brought back memories to me. I even witnessed them using a glass and the same procedures of preparation and mixing of the ingredients and baking. I also saw my aunts and uncles make them as well and we used to eat them at family picnics. Seeing this recipe conjured up vivid memories of my father and mother in the kitchen making these. Such a wonderful memory of them.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
This is the exact same recipe and food my grandmother, mother and father used to make. I remember watching my mother and father make these regularly as a child and me and my siblings would heartily eat them. My father was Maltese, so he is from the Mediterranean belt approximately 750 kilometers from Greece. You will find the Mediterranean people eat and have similar tastes in food with special signature dishes. This recipe brought back memories to me. I even witnessed them using a glass and the same procedures of preparation and mixing of the ingredients and baking. I also saw my aunts and uncles make them as well and we used to eat them at family picnics. Seeing this recipe conjured up vivid memories of my father and mother in the kitchen making these. Such a wonderful memory of them.
Then you know how good it is. How funny I have pastry cutters I could use but still stick to the glass.
Do you make these and do you add anything else?
The bread dough of this recipe hubby's great grandmother created , she baked alot of bread for the people on the tiny island of Kassos