Score big savings on groceries – here's what's dropping in price

In these uncertain economic times, it's more important than ever to save where you can – especially when it comes to your weekly grocery shop.

So, if your household budget has taken a hit, we have some good news! Despite disruptions to supply chains, some of your favourite grocery items could actually become cheaper this year.

Households struggling to keep up with the rising cost of living can expect ‘relief’ when paying for some of their grocery items, as industry experts revealed that prices would continue to drop further this year.

They shared that price falls can be expected for meat, poultry, and grain, while some fruit and vegetable costs will remain low.

This announcement comes after multiple claims that the prices of some items in stores such as Coles and Woolworths have changed, despite being included under the supermarkets’ ‘prices dropped’ programs.

Shoppers from both retailers flooded their social media pages with questions and strong opinions about why there were a string of ‘price hikes’ in their stores – with many calling it ‘mind-boggling’. You can read more details about this story here.

meat1.jpg
Industry experts revealed that prices of certain grocery staples would drop soon. Credit: phiraphon srithakae/Pexels

According to the National Farmers Federation (NFF), there’s been a strong supply of produce to markets, including berries, avocados, and lettuce. They also reassured everyone that these prices would not increase further.

NFF Horticulture Council Executive Officer Richard Shannon said this is ‘great news for customers’.

‘Over the last couple of years, we’ve seen dramatic increases in the cost of production. That’s a result of disrupted supply chains,’ he continued, referring to the massive floods the country experienced last year, as well as the increased prices of fertiliser, packaging, and farm labour.

Mr Shannon said that some of these supply chains have started to open up again.

A weekly supermarket report from Avocados Australia highlighted that the price of a single avocado ranged from $1.80 to $3, depending on the variety.

John Tyas, CEO of Avocados Australia, said customers could expect prices to stay this low as avocado supply has increased by 10 per cent. He said: ‘We’re expecting pretty steady supply through to the end of the year.’

Meanwhile, lettuce, which was being sold at $12 a head last year – four times its usual price – is now selling at $3.50 in some stores.

AUSVEG, the prescribed peak industry body for the Australian vegetable and potato industries, stated that the prices of winter vegetables such as carrots, pumpkins, lettuce, celery and beans would also become cheaper as they come into season. Industry experts from AUSVEG said this was due to a strong supply.

grain1.jpg
Retail experts predict the price of meat, poultry, and grain will decrease. Credit: 42 North/Pexels

Other retail experts predict that meat and poultry prices will come down after having peaked last year.

‘With growing conditions improving, we’ll start to see more supply into the market, and accordingly, prices will fall,’ Marketing and Consumer Behaviour Expert Gary Mortimer said before adding that farmers (mostly in central NSW) have recovered after two years of drought and that there was more grain to feed their livestock now.

The Meat and Livestock Australia (MLA) has recently reported a major boost to the national sheep flock, with an estimated 78.75 million head – the highest number since 2007. With this in mind, Aussies can expect an increased supply to the domestic market.

The Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES) also forecasted that sheep and lamb prices would fall because ‘farmers had rebuilt their flocks’, and there were more animals available for slaughter.

However, it is still up to the supermarkets if they decide to pass on any price drops to customers. You can read more about this story here.

ABARES’ latest agricultural report also revealed: ‘Industry production and export values are forecast to hit record levels in 2022-23, with broadacre and dairy farm cash incomes remaining well above historical benchmarks.’

Dr Jared Greenville, Executive Director for ABARES, said that good performance would likely continue into the foreseeable future. This is because weather patterns were expected to ‘shift back to normal’ after years of high rainfall in some regions of the country.

He explained: ‘Despite the deteriorating conditions, strong soil moisture, full water storages and the rebuilding of our herds and flocks will provide a buffer for overall production, giving us another year in the high country.’
Key Takeaways
  • Industry experts say price decreases are coming for meat, poultry, and grain, while some fruit and vegetable costs remain low.
  • The National Farmers Federation says there’s been a strong supply of berries, avocados and lettuce to markets, and the prices will not increase further.
  • Customers can expect prices for avocados, lettuce, carrots, pumpkin, celery and beans to become cheaper as they come into season, thanks to a strong supply.
  • Retail experts predict that the price of meat and poultry will come down after having peaked in 2022, and Australian farmers are said to have rebuilt their herds and flocks.
How do you feel about this news? Do you have any tips for making the most of your grocery budget? Share them with other members below!

Sponsored
In these uncertain economic times, it's more important than ever to save where you can – especially when it comes to your weekly grocery shop.

So, if your household budget has taken a hit, we have some good news! Despite disruptions to supply chains, some of your favourite grocery items could actually become cheaper this year.

Households struggling to keep up with the rising cost of living can expect ‘relief’ when paying for some of their grocery items, as industry experts revealed that prices would continue to drop further this year.

They shared that price falls can be expected for meat, poultry, and grain, while some fruit and vegetable costs will remain low.

This announcement comes after multiple claims that the prices of some items in stores such as Coles and Woolworths have changed, despite being included under the supermarkets’ ‘prices dropped’ programs.

Shoppers from both retailers flooded their social media pages with questions and strong opinions about why there were a string of ‘price hikes’ in their stores – with many calling it ‘mind-boggling’. You can read more details about this story here.

View attachment 15304
Industry experts revealed that prices of certain grocery staples would drop soon. Credit: phiraphon srithakae/Pexels

According to the National Farmers Federation (NFF), there’s been a strong supply of produce to markets, including berries, avocados, and lettuce. They also reassured everyone that these prices would not increase further.

NFF Horticulture Council Executive Officer Richard Shannon said this is ‘great news for customers’.

‘Over the last couple of years, we’ve seen dramatic increases in the cost of production. That’s a result of disrupted supply chains,’ he continued, referring to the massive floods the country experienced last year, as well as the increased prices of fertiliser, packaging, and farm labour.

A weekly supermarket report from Avocados Australia highlighted that the price of a single avocado ranged from $1.80 to $3, depending on the variety.

John Tyas, CEO of Avocados Australia, said customers could expect prices to stay this low as avocado supply has increased by 10 per cent. He said: ‘We’re expecting pretty steady supply through to the end of the year.’

Meanwhile, lettuce, which was being sold at $12 a head last year – four times its usual price – is now selling at $3.50 in some stores.

AUSVEG, the prescribed peak industry body for the Australian vegetable and potato industries, stated that the prices of winter vegetables such as carrots, pumpkins, lettuce, celery and beans would also become cheaper as they come into season. Industry experts from AUSVEG said this was due to a strong supply.

View attachment 15303
Retail experts predict the price of meat, poultry, and grain will decrease. Credit: 42 North/Pexels

Other retail experts predict that meat and poultry prices will come down after having peaked last year.

‘With growing conditions improving, we’ll start to see more supply into the market, and accordingly, prices will fall,’ Marketing and Consumer Behaviour Expert Gary Mortimer said before adding that farmers (mostly in central NSW) have recovered after two years of drought and that there was more grain to feed their livestock now.

The Meat and Livestock Australia (MLA) has recently reported a major boost to the national sheep flock, with an estimated 78.75 million head – the highest number since 2007. With this in mind, Aussies can expect an increased supply to the domestic market.

The Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES) also forecasted that sheep and lamb prices would fall because ‘farmers had rebuilt their flocks’, and there were more animals available for slaughter.

However, it is still up to the supermarkets if they decide to pass on any price drops to customers. You can read more about this story here.

ABARES’ latest agricultural report also revealed: ‘Industry production and export values are forecast to hit record levels in 2022-23, with broadacre and dairy farm cash incomes remaining well above historical benchmarks.’

Dr Jared Greenville, Executive Director for ABARES, said that good performance would likely continue into the foreseeable future. This is because weather patterns were expected to ‘shift back to normal’ after years of high rainfall in some regions of the country.

He explained: ‘Despite the deteriorating conditions, strong soil moisture, full water storages and the rebuilding of our herds and flocks will provide a buffer for overall production, giving us another year in the high country.’
Key Takeaways

• Industry experts say price decreases are coming for meat, poultry, and grain, while some fruit and vegetable costs remain low.
  • The National Farmers Federation says there’s been a strong supply of berries, avocados and lettuce to markets, and the prices will not increase further.
  • Customers can expect prices for avocados, lettuce, carrots, pumpkin, celery and beans to become cheaper as they come into season, thanks to a strong supply.
  • Retail experts predict that the price of meat and poultry will come down after having peaked in 2022, and Australian farmers are said to have rebuilt their herds and flocks.
How do you feel about this news? Do you have any tips for making the most of your grocery budget? Share them with other members below!
I never buy fruit or veges from Coles Woolies or Aldi. I would much rather support local fruit shops who help to keep prices down and support local farmers.

my local fruit/veg grocer is comparable in prices. Where they may be dearer on some items they are cheaper on others, just like any of the s'markets. They are at the markets every single morning to buy fresh. Their turnover is fast. The quality is like I've never seen before and produce lasts longer. They were also voted the best in South Australia. If I only need 2 or 3 items then I go to s'markets.

Is it me or do other shoppers think that on checking the Coles /Woolworths specials catalogue that approx. 50% of the specials are chocolates, lollies and biscuits? Just wondering - seems to be pages of chocolates in the Coles booklet especially.
Exactly! The lux stuff that makes you sick and you can’t live on or cleaning materials, not much to actually live on

Reactions: Ricci
We don't use a lot of lettuce as I find most lettuce is bitter, and I refuse to pay for a large lettuce and then have to throw most of it away, so we bought Mini Mignonette lettuce seedlings and grow our own.
They are small and have a stalk on which the leaves grow.When we need lettuce, we just remove THE NUMBER OF LEAVES WE NEED FOR A MEAL, and the lettuce goes on growing
No waste at all, and it's not bitter!

Is it me or do other shoppers think that on checking the Coles /Woolworths specials catalogue that approx. 50% of the specials are chocolates, lollies and biscuits? Just wondering - seems to be pages of chocolates in the Coles booklet especially.
I've noticed this too,and the other products are always the most expensive brands which we wouldn't buy anyway.

We don't use a lot of lettuce as I find most lettuce is bitter, and I refuse to pay for a large lettuce and then have to throw most of it away, so we bought Mini Mignonette lettuce seedlings and grow our own.
They are small and have a stalk on which the leaves grow.When we need lettuce, we just remove THE NUMBER OF LEAVES WE NEED FOR A MEAL, and the lettuce goes on growing
No waste at all, and it's not bitter!
I also grow- lettuce, tomatoes, spring onions and zucchini

I'll believe in lower prices when I see them. I may be cynical but I fully expect we may not see the decrease, just not an increase while the stores make an even bigger profit from us. ;)

Reactions: Cheezil
Yes, I agree, especially now with Easter coming!!

I grow as much fruit and vegetables as I can unfortunately we have not had the rain the rest of Australia has and water is a huge issue. I have really noticed some price rises over the last week. The cheese I normally buy has risen by $1 and powdered milk by $2. How can things go up so much in just 1 week.

• Sad
I agree about the quality of Coles fruit and vegs. It does leave a lot to be desired.
Also, people who are economising are not interested in cheap chocolate or sweets.
I purchase Coles own brand of pikelets as they are actually very nice. In the last couple of months they have gone from $2 - $2.50, which isn't a lot, but in percentage terms that is a 25% increase.
If that happens with other goods, prices are going to become even more unaffordable for some people.

• Sad

View attachment 15304

View attachment 15303

Key Takeaways

I wont say $12 for a lettuce 'expensive', it's just rediculous, and not a price for a bunch of vegetable.. I am used to buy in season vegetables because they are normally cheaper. I remember I used to buy lettuce when they are around $1.5-2 each. So now, I should buy because they are cheap at a price of $3.50? I feel sad... _:)з」∠)_

• Sad
Reactions: Cheezil and Ricci
I never buy fruit or veges from Coles Woolies or Aldi. I would much rather support local fruit shops who help to keep prices down and support local farmers.
I brought for the first time ever 2kls packet of Red potatoes on Wednesday from local Aldi. I usually shop for a fortnight. Never again for me because 3 days later, yesterday I found 5 potatoes were on the nose, rotten so out they went. Last fortnight it was a rusty lettuce that was tainted all through. They have lost my fruit and veggie shop permanently. No second chances so greengrocers for me now.

• Sad

View attachment 15304

View attachment 15303

Key Takeaways

Don't know what you are talking about! nothing has changed for me!