SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
School lunch

Who remembers school lunches? The excitement of eating your carefully prepared sandwiches, wrapped in greaseproof paper and tucked away inside a trusty brown paper bag. And on those chilly, windy days, you and your mates would gather in a shelter shed, indulging in the warmth of companionship while sharing your lunches and laughter. Do you remember your favourite school lunch?

tal.jpeg
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When​

Talking about shelter sheds. At Kensington State School in Melbourne in 1963, ours was fully enclosed and split down the middle. One side for boys and the other for girls. It was usually used when the weather was bad, else we would be playing outside. BTW when we had to be in the shelter shed we used to play British Bulldog or Brandy.

Reactions: Peterdachshund
School lunch

Who remembers school lunches? The excitement of eating your carefully prepared sandwiches, wrapped in greaseproof paper and tucked away inside a trusty brown paper bag. And on those chilly, windy days, you and your mates would gather in a shelter shed, indulging in the warmth of companionship while sharing your lunches and laughter. Do you remember your favourite school lunch?

View attachment 25639
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When​
Every school day my mother used to ask me what I wanted in my lunch. I don't know why I asked because she always got same reply, JAM PLEASE.

I remember school dinners. Meat and veg, a blob of mash and gravy followed by sago or rice pud or apple crumble and custard

Reactions: Phyll
If Mum was on tuck shop then it would be devon and tomato sauce on white bread sandwich and a glass of G.I. (green) cordial. in winter a pie and sauce and cordial. Normally when I brought my lunch from home it if asked it would be a sultana sandwich on brown bread (no choice here) and an apple and water from the bubbler.

My primary school only had 32 children in total and 1 teacher for all grades and was in the middle of a paddock in the country and everyone had to catch a bus to school ...Mum used to make us Ryevita biscuits with home made butter and sultanas...lived it...also a piece of whatever cake was in the cupboard, quite often that would be German cake and always a piece of fruit🌞

If Mum was on tuck shop then it would be devon and tomato sauce on white bread sandwich and a glass of G.I. (green) cordial. in winter a pie and sauce and cordial. Normally when I brought my lunch from home it if asked it would be a sultana sandwich on brown bread (no choice here) and an apple and water from the bubbler.
I loved sultanas on my Ryevita biscuits and vegimite with home made butter on home made brown bread....there was no tuck shop at my school

Cheese and gherkin or date and honey were two of my favourites, always with a slice of cake and a piece of fruit.

No tuckshops or canteen til I got to high school. I used to like Devon and tomato sauce or fish paste sandwich. We sat on the school verandah and ate lunch. Fruit from my grandpop’s orchard and mix up cordial or water from the school tank to drink. In winter we had an open fire in the corner of the classroom and sat inside and toasted our sandwiches and marshmallows, it was so good. We made toasting frames and forks out of fencing wire so they had long handles so we didn’t get burnt and sat back from the fire. We had bottles of milk with foil tops, delivered on the milk lorry each morning for recess, sometimes we got flavoured milk but mostly it was plain. At high school my favourite food from the canteen was a cream bun.

No tuckshops or canteen til I got to high school. I used to like Devon and tomato sauce or fish paste sandwich. We sat on the school verandah and ate lunch. Fruit from my grandpop’s orchard and mix up cordial or water from the school tank to drink. In winter we had an open fire in the corner of the classroom and sat inside and toasted our sandwiches and marshmallows, it was so good. We made toasting frames and forks out of fencing wire so they had long handles so we didn’t get burnt and sat back from the fire. We had bottles of milk with foil tops, delivered on the milk lorry each morning for recess, sometimes we got flavoured milk but mostly it was plain. At high school my favourite food from the canteen was a cream bun.
I liked the Anchovette Fish paste on toast. I remember the milk with foil tops but ours was always warm and tasted horrible