featherfour

Apr 14, 2022
School fetes and cake stalls

It's getting on for school fete season and of course my favourite was the cake stall. All those mums who put together a plate of Anzacs, a sponge, some fairy cakes, and of course, the school fete special – the toffee in a patty-pan. Some had nuts sprinkled on top and some had hundreds and thousands. There were the super-goopy stickjaws that got everywhere and would shut a kid up for a good ten minutes, and then there were the harder ones. Honestly, you could just about cut yourself of the saw-toothed edges of the hard toffee, and spend pretty much the rest of the day eating it. Don't see those any more, possibly on account of dental health, I reckon the truly sticky ones could have just about ripped the fillings right out of your head.

Last edited:
School fetes and cake stalls

It's getting on for school fete season and of course my favourite was the cake stall. All those mums who put together a plate of Anzacs, a sponge, some fairy cakes, and of course, the school fete special – the toffee in a patty-pan. Some had nuts sprinkled on top and some had nuts. There were the super-goopy stickjaws that got everywhere and would shut a kid up for a good ten minutes, and then there were the harder ones. Honestly, you could just about cut yourself of the saw-toothed edges of the hard toffee, and spend pretty much the rest of the day eating it. Don't see those any more, possibly on account of dental health, I reckon the truly sticky ones could have just about ripped the fillings right out of your head.
Loved school fetes and cake stalls. Now that was real home cooking😁

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Do people still make chocolate crackles any more?
Yum sure do I have a huge family and we love them every kids party or just for family and friends get togethers😍watch this space for the sugar 👮‍♂️ police on this site the sugar haters.😈come on Petra give it a “snap crackle and pop” you know you want too😈

Last edited:
I remember cake stalls when I was at school my Mum would always make something for each of us to take. There were four of us so it was a big effort but Mum didn’t care that what mum’s did then.

Reactions: Gsr and Littleboy8
I remember cake stalls when I was at school my Mum would always make something for each of us to take. There were four of us so it was a big effort but Mum didn’t care that what mum’s did then.
😍😍yep god love them

Reactions: Gsr
Do people still make chocolate crackles any more?
Don’t forget hundreds and thousands on bread and butter😍I was at a kids birthday party a couple of years ago lucky it was family. I was so hungry from abit too much drinkey Pooh’s I ate the whole plate of them.talk about a sugar hit😹yummy.wonder why I’ve never been invited back.😈

Reactions: Gsr
I used to love school fete day. There were so many yummy things to choose from. We could buy a single fairy cake, toffee or small packets of pink and white coconut ice, rocky road, marshmallows rolled in coconut, lots of treats for a couple of cents each. I think we ate junk food all day. There was always fairy floss, and toffee apples on a stick. We got to help on the stalls instead of doing lessons, and we usually got an early mark as once the fete finished so did school. I’m sure the demise of school fetes has to do with so much food safety and dietary requirements, no school wants to be hit with a lawsuit for someone getting sick from eating something they shouldn’t have. Our local aged care village held their fete recently, the first time since covid. I’m not sure if they had a cake stall as I didn’t go. I don’t see the Red Cross, cwa or other groups holding cake stalls down the street anymore like they used to. It is a shame as they were good fundraising activities and people loved to buy the home made goodies they sold. Now I just think there are too many restrictions on what you can and can’t do to make it a worthwhile activity.

I used to love school fete day. There were so many yummy things to choose from. We could buy a single fairy cake, toffee or small packets of pink and white coconut ice, rocky road, marshmallows rolled in coconut, lots of treats for a couple of cents each. I think we ate junk food all day. There was always fairy floss, and toffee apples on a stick. We got to help on the stalls instead of doing lessons, and we usually got an early mark as once the fete finished so did school. I’m sure the demise of school fetes has to do with so much food safety and dietary requirements, no school wants to be hit with a lawsuit for someone getting sick from eating something they shouldn’t have. Our local aged care village held their fete recently, the first time since covid. I’m not sure if they had a cake stall as I didn’t go. I don’t see the Red Cross, cwa or other groups holding cake stalls down the street anymore like they used to. It is a shame as they were good fundraising activities and people loved to buy the home made goodies they sold. Now I just think there are too many restrictions on what you can and can’t do to make it a worthwhile activity.
Oh the good old days I love toffee apples.used to buy them in tassie from the small local supermarket when I lived there.now there’s a sweet treat.😍and they used to have fundraising stalls etc every Saturday.cakes,cookies etc.😍

Don’t forget hundreds and thousands on bread and butter😍I was at a kids birthday party a couple of years ago lucky it was family. I was so hungry from abit too much drinkey Pooh’s I ate the whole plate of them.talk about a sugar hit😹yummy.wonder why I’ve never been invited back.😈
Probably because you drank all of the 'Drinkey Pooh's'......naughty Little boy. 😏😉

Reactions: Littleboy8
Ever thought of changing your 'handle' to 'Naughty Littleboy8'....?🤣
🤔Well he can be a naughty little boy.I love magpies there my favourite birds so are you a magpie lover or Collingwood supporter🤔

Last edited:
🤔Well he can be a naughty little boy😈😈 I love magpies there my favourite birds so are you a magpie lover or Collingwood supporter😈
BOTH 😍. I Love our Australian Wildlife in all of its forms. Magpie birds have been a favorite since my young childhood days playing in the local park, there was always lots around and you soon learnt when it was best to stay away from them, ie Breeding season and when the young had hatched. As for my allegiance to the Collingwood Football Club.....I was born into a Magpie household...we all followed the Mighty MAGPIES. So that means that theoretically speaking I have supported the 'Pies through good and bad times for over 70 years. Collingwood Magpies AFL PREMIERS 2023. GO 'PIES. 😏👁‍🗨😂

Fairy bread

BOTH 😍. I Love our Australian Wildlife in all of its forms. Magpie birds have been a favorite since my young childhood days playing in the local park, there was always lots around and you soon learnt when it was best to stay away from them, ie Breeding season and when the young had hatched. As for my allegiance to the Collingwood Football Club.....I was born into a Magpie household...we all followed the Mighty MAGPIES. So that means that theoretically speaking I have supported the 'Pies through good and bad times for over 70 years. Collingwood Magpies AFL PREMIERS 2023. GO 'PIES. 😏👁‍🗨😂
I used to have a tshirt with a “magpie and crazy magpie lady”painted on it I used to wear.every where I wore it people used to say “go Maggie’s”or “go the pies”and I’m like what on earth are they on about.then it dawned on me oh crap they think I barrack for Collingwood. I’m sort of a st kilda and Geelong supporter I’m not big on sport.so I cut it up and glued it to a canvas I had and added “lives here”and it now hangs on my front door. So now it says”crazy magpie lady lives here”.😈😈

Reactions: Suzanne rose