Scandal unfolds as couple loses $139k in shocking luxury car scam—now they're getting SUED by the dealer!

Buying a luxury car should be an exciting experience, but for one couple, it turned into a nightmare.

A couple, Wendy Angliss and Derrick Thompson, lost $139,000 after falling victim to an elaborate invoice scam when trying to purchase a brand-new Mercedes-Benz SUV.

The couple from Melbourne were thrilled to be upgrading to a fancy new GLE 400d car. But hackers had managed to intercept the car dealer's emails and manipulate the invoices by sneakily changing the bank account details.

Unsuspecting, Wendy and Derrick made four large transfers totalling $139k to what they believed was the legitimate Mercedes-Benz dealership account in February and March this year.

In reality, the scammers had provided their own details on a forged document.

Screenshot 2023-10-30 110655.png
A couple from Melbourne fell victim to an invoice scam while purchasing a new Mercedes-Benz car. Credit: Mercedes-Benz

This type of scam is known as an 'invoice scam' and is on the rise globally. Criminals hack into company emails and alter invoices to reroute payments into their own pockets.

For regular folks like Wendy and Derrick, it's incredibly difficult to spot the doctored paperwork.

The couple felt betrayed and launched legal action against the German carmaker for failing to protect their financial details. They claimed that the dealership had breached an Australian Consumer Law.

‘If the plaintiffs had been told the first transfer was to an incorrect account, they would have taken steps to recover the payment,’ the couple’s writ stated.

But in a shocking twist, Mercedes-Benz has hit back—suing the couple for breaching their contract by not completing the purchase. They also demanded the trade-in vehicle worth $17,292.47 that was initially part of the deal with the couple.

The dealership admitted that one of their employees received four emails from the couple stating that transfers had been made, but they didn’t reach out to them for another week to confirm that nothing had been received.

Despite acknowledging their employee was slow to inform the couple of the missing funds, Mercedes-Benz claims it has no liability in the scam and pointed out that Wendy had contributed to the problem by not having adequate IT or password security.

‘Following a thorough internal investigation, we are satisfied that the email interception was completely independent of our invoicing and email systems, and those of our retailer,’ the company said in a statement.

‘As the matter is now before the court, we are unable to comment further,’ they added.

Unfortunately, Wendy and Derrick are only two of many victims of invoice scams. A couple lost $275,000 after scammers altered the final payment invoice for their dream home. The account and Bank State Branch (BSB) matched those of their conveyancer.

You can read more about their story here.

Data from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s (ACCC) Scamwatch showed invoice scams—particularly targeting big purchases like renovations, properties and cars—have been on the rise.

In the first nine months of 2023, Aussies reported 28,617 fraud billing scams, a 95 per cent increase from the same time period last year. Australians have collectively lost $23 million to false billing in the same time period.

The couple’s experience highlights the need for extra vigilance when making big-ticket purchases.

If you're ever unsure about invoice bank details, call the company directly to verbally confirm. Consider using secure communication methods rather than email. And never be afraid to pause a transaction if something doesn't feel right.

Key Takeaways
  • An Australian couple faced a legal battle after falling victim to a scam while buying a Mercedes Benz, with payments intercepted totalling $139,000.
  • Hackers manipulated emailed invoices and changed the bank account number, leading to the couple transferring four payments to the wrong account.
  • The dealership, Mercedes-Benz Geelong, claimed they never received the money and has launched a counter-claim, alleging breach of contract.
  • Mercedes-Benz denied owing a duty of care to the couple, arguing that the couple contributed to the problem with inadequate IT and password security.

Have you ever narrowly avoided falling for a scam, members? Share your story in the comments below!

Sponsored
Makes me wonder how these scammers can obtain the invoice details in the first place, it is very worrying. Think it is time people wishing to make large purchases and deposit large sums of money to businesses started physically going to the business or bank and doing it face to face and not via email. Takes more time and effort but could save someone lots of money and heartache.

Makes me wonder how these scammers can obtain the invoice details in the first place, it is very worrying. Think it is time people wishing to make large purchases and deposit large sums of money to businesses started physically going to the business or bank and doing it face to face and not via email. Takes more time and effort but could save someone lots of money and heartache.
Not that difficult, will guarantee like the vast majority of people, their password is going to be the same password they created when they set up their email account. Most likely the same password used on multiple accounts and a simple to remember abcde or 12345, pet or kids name with a DOB.

Reactions: Bridgit
Not that difficult, will guarantee like the vast majority of people, their password is going to be the same password they created when they set up their email account. Most likely the same password used on multiple accounts and a simple to remember abcde or 12345, pet or kids name with a DOB.
Hackers break into the account either by going around the password or use software to break it. I was in hospital with a guy who in less than 5 minutes had got into my Facebook account in less than 5 minutes. He bypassed the windows login password then went deep into the windows program and found the password. I had big passwords so it does not take long to do it!

• Wow
Reactions: Ezzy and Knell
Agree - I would never pay a large sum via online banking unless I am in the office of the firm/payee and get their banking details first hand and login then and there. The only time I have paid a large amount to a supplier of building materials was made after I contacted my bank and had my transfer amount raised for that transaction. The bank knew who I was dealing with and the amount and the account no - they were watching the transaction and they rang me to tell me the transaction was completed. I have never been caught by scammers - oh they have tried many times - via e-mails and even now I am getting ATO scams at least once per week.
I think it would be better to get your bank to make large transfers for you - and rely on hard copy invoices from the vendor instead of e-mails from who knows who!

Reactions: Ezzy and DLHM
Buying a luxury car should be an exciting experience, but for one couple, it turned into a nightmare.

A couple, Wendy Angliss and Derrick Thompson, lost $139,000 after falling victim to an elaborate invoice scam when trying to purchase a brand-new Mercedes-Benz SUV.

The couple from Melbourne were thrilled to be upgrading to a fancy new GLE 400d car. But hackers had managed to intercept the car dealer's emails and manipulate the invoices by sneakily changing the bank account details.

Unsuspecting, Wendy and Derrick made four large transfers totalling $139k to what they believed was the legitimate Mercedes-Benz dealership account in February and March this year.

In reality, the scammers had provided their own details on a forged document.

View attachment 33347
A couple from Melbourne fell victim to an invoice scam while purchasing a new Mercedes-Benz car. Credit: Mercedes-Benz

This type of scam is known as an 'invoice scam' and is on the rise globally. Criminals hack into company emails and alter invoices to reroute payments into their own pockets.

For regular folks like Wendy and Derrick, it's incredibly difficult to spot the doctored paperwork.

The couple felt betrayed and launched legal action against the German carmaker for failing to protect their financial details. They claimed that the dealership had breached an Australian Consumer Law.

‘If the plaintiffs had been told the first transfer was to an incorrect account, they would have taken steps to recover the payment,’ the couple’s writ stated.

But in a shocking twist, Mercedes-Benz has hit back—suing the couple for breaching their contract by not completing the purchase. They also demanded the trade-in vehicle worth $17,292.47 that was initially part of the deal with the couple.

The dealership admitted that one of their employees received four emails from the couple stating that transfers had been made, but they didn’t reach out to them for another week to confirm that nothing had been received.

Despite acknowledging their employee was slow to inform the couple of the missing funds, Mercedes-Benz claims it has no liability in the scam and pointed out that Wendy had contributed to the problem by not having adequate IT or password security.

‘Following a thorough internal investigation, we are satisfied that the email interception was completely independent of our invoicing and email systems, and those of our retailer,’ the company said in a statement.

‘As the matter is now before the court, we are unable to comment further,’ they added.

Unfortunately, Wendy and Derrick are only two of many victims of invoice scams. A couple lost $275,000 after scammers altered the final payment invoice for their dream home. The account and Bank State Branch (BSB) matched those of their conveyancer.

You can read more about their story here.

Data from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s (ACCC) Scamwatch showed invoice scams—particularly targeting big purchases like renovations, properties and cars—have been on the rise.

In the first nine months of 2023, Aussies reported 28,617 fraud billing scams, a 95 per cent increase from the same time period last year. Australians have collectively lost $23 million to false billing in the same time period.

The couple’s experience highlights the need for extra vigilance when making big-ticket purchases.

If you're ever unsure about invoice bank details, call the company directly to verbally confirm. Consider using secure communication methods rather than email. And never be afraid to pause a transaction if something doesn't feel right.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian couple faced a legal battle after falling victim to a scam while buying a Mercedes Benz, with payments intercepted totalling $139,000.
  • Hackers manipulated emailed invoices and changed the bank account number, leading to the couple transferring four payments to the wrong account.
  • The dealership, Mercedes-Benz Geelong, claimed they never received the money and has launched a counter-claim, alleging breach of contract.
  • Mercedes-Benz denied owing a duty of care to the couple, arguing that the couple contributed to the problem with inadequate IT and password security.

Have you ever narrowly avoided falling for a scam, members? Share your story in the comments below!
I nearly fell for a scam from Gumtree. I was selling a dining room suite when they wanted me to pay for the pick up. $600. But, I told them, the price for pick up was much higher than the set was worth $200. So I knew this had to be a scam. Told them to buy a new dining set, it would be cheaper. They think that you are stupid.

Reactions: Defiant540
I have done a transfer on-line for the balance on a car.
We purchased it a fair way away from home. So, we did the transfer, but it was in front of the sales person who had to confirm the details as well as us show them the transfer on screen.
The kind of money these people lost is astounding. I would have been at their front door to do the transfer there, process it, get their confirmation/receipt then say, give me my car thanks very much.
There is a level of responsibility on me to make sure everything is above board. If I cannot get into the business, I'd have them on the phone confirming details.
I will say, the rotten stinkers are getting smarty pants. It's indeed a worry.

Reactions: Defiant540 and Ezzy
Our IT people need to get smarter I think - seems we are well behind the hackers. However I do think the Banks and Corporates need to take more responsibility for customer safety - should be their procedures and their duty of care to ensure safe methods of transacting.

Whenever I need to transfer or pay a large amount of money, I transfer a small amount to the destination bank account, then check that it has arrived. My internet banking system then has the correct account information for more transfers.

If they got into the car dealers emails then it was the car dealer who got scammed if this was me I would be seeing a lawyer I think they would win

Reactions: Knell
Bank cheques ONLY for all large payments is the only way to do business & take the cheque to the business in person. Laziness in doing this may result in fraud & scams.
I have just ordered a new chq book. Was told by the bank I was only getting one as I have a chq account. No new chq accounts will be opened. Also there will be no chqs within a few years, so Bank Chqs will no longer exist.

• Angry
I have just ordered a new chq book. Was told by the bank I was only getting one as I have a chq account. No new chq accounts will be opened. Also there will be no chqs within a few years, so Bank Chqs will no longer exist.
And most likely NO CASH either.....so everything is going to be Electronically bought and paid for, by all of us. When power outages happen or Banks internet has a fault .....then NO business, NO Buying or Selling by anyone until it comes back online.....and that's apart from the hackers and scammers trying to access your banking details......it's a worry for every one's future banking requirements. 😱

Reactions: Ezzy
I am sorry but I do believe that the dealer was partly to blame for this scam and should shoulder responsibility for some of the loss if it cannot be recovered. Last year article in SDC re the "well known" 100K Mercedes scam (21 Oct 22 SDC) so it is pretty much common knowledge that these email intercepts are occurring and the business should be looking to change the model among all their dealers.

ie. The email should say the invoice is due but to contact the dealer directly via trusted number to obtain the details for payment instead of accounts being sent in email. That or in person transfers confirming a smaller amount before the main payment to the same account or similar strategy would make these large scams history....

Cars or real estate or similar I will be setting up the initial transfer of $50 and they must provide a receipt for that before the rest of the money goes anywhere....

We are also aware the data leaks of our personal details is a common occurrence - and probably more common than we know i.e. ransomware and they probably just pay and keep quiet. They should have to spend the money to have adequate security measures in place and the fines should be enormous as a deterrent - but they are happy with the slap on the wrist they currently get.