SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
Scams To Ignore

Hi Members!

I just wanted to pop this warning in here as we know the amount of scams around at the moment is extremely concerning.

We will always keep you up-to-date with the scams that are in the news, but also with the scams we are seeing ourselves just so you know what to keep an eye out for.

In our newsletter this morning, we had two articles about the same 'Hi Mum' scam, one explained that one of the culprits behind the 'Hi Mum' scam has been found and will be charged. I cannot emphasise enough that unfortunately, this doesn't mean the scam is gone forever. Another scammer will likely replicate this disgusting scam and try and scam not only yourself, but your friends, kids, grandchildren and whoever they can convince to send them money...

Below is a screenshot of all the scams that have been sent to Jon's phone over the past few weeks. All of these are scams you want to keep your eye out for! From the Hi mum/dad scam, to the fake toll scam, the delivery scam and more. Please, if you ever receive a message like any of the ones in the screenshot below, report it and delete it!

326290660_530063342264007_3725344696371371028_n.jpg
The many scams found on Jon's phone.

As always members, please be very cautious whenever it comes to getting texts or calls from unknown numbers, and if you have come across a scam that isn't in this screenshot or one we haven't already touched on, please share it with us in the comments below!

Reactions: Gilesy and Ezzy
I received several messages on my phone and tablet computer telling me that I have one a wide variety of things free, From free spins on games to the latest model mobile phones both Apple iPhone and Samsung galaxy.
I am still at a loss as to how I can win a prize for something that I did not enter so I just hit delete, you would think that they would get sick of sending them but no I get them every day.
I have just downloaded a different anti virus program I will see if this works.
I will let everyone know what it does after I have had on the computer for a few weeks

I have been receiving a text on my phone. It says: Linkt-: your payment has been overdue on December please avoid your fine charge please see https://link.t-ya.top
I do not know what they are talking about or what amount is overdue?
@Krishnee I have also received text messages like this and they are a scam. If you have however driven on roads that require you to pay tolls and are worried you have an over due payment you're better off calling Linkt on 13 33 31 - but honestly, I would be more confident that this text message is a scam!

Reactions: Ezzy and DEL boy
I also got scammed last Monday when I opened my laptop and got a message to say that my computer was blocked because Microsoft had a malware. It also gave me a phone number which was (03) 7043 0430, I called that number and a guy came on and he asked me to type in something and then after telling me to type in some other characters on my laptop he said that his colleague will call me back when I put the phone down, I then got called by someone else and he then also asked me to type in some letters and then told me that my internet has been hacked by someone in Ohio and someone in Japan. He then said to allow my PC to run and then said to check what date was on. I told him it was the 16th January 2023. He said to look at the bottom and I did and it showed August 2020. He told me that is how long my internet has been hacked. He then said to look at what has been seen by others. I saw that it was my email, Facebook and Westpac which is my bank. He then told me to go into each to see if I could go in. I did that and was able to see. When it got to the bank, I didn't log into my account. He said I must go into the account to see if I could see my account. I then logged into my account. After that he asked me if I had an android phone or Apple. I told him I had an android. He then told me that I will get an OTP number on my phone and I must give him that number with 4 seconds. I got the OTP number but read further down that message and saw that it said that it was to confirm that $8,000 was to be transferred to a BSB number and account number that I didn't recognise. I asked him what did that mean as I didn't have $8,000 in my debit account. He said not to worry about that it was just a dud? I asked him again and he said not to worry but was hurrying me to give him the number. I then gave him 6 numbers from the account number that was on there. He repeated the number and then said no that is not correct. I insisted that he was the number that I got. He then said another number will be sent to me and I must give that number to him. I then cut the call. He called may times later but I didn't answer. I then went to the bank and the teller at the bank gave me a temporary password so that I could change the password on my account. I noticed that $10,000 was transferred from my credit card account to my debit account. I transferred that money back. I was glad that I found out in time that I was being scammed. I took my laptop to an IT company to check the PC and delete anything that should not be on it I have Norton antivirus on my computer but still got hacked.

Reactions: Ezzy
I received several messages on my phone and tablet computer telling me that I have one a wide variety of things free, From free spins on games to the latest model mobile phones both Apple iPhone and Samsung galaxy.
I am still at a loss as to how I can win a prize for something that I did not enter so I just hit delete, you would think that they would get sick of sending them but no I get them every day.
I will let everyone know what it does after I have had on the computer for a few weeks
Do t hold your breath waiting for antivirus to block unwanted emails. They only come into action if you click on the link, so far as I can see. Still up to us all to be vigilant. Direct attacks by malware are different to scam emails.

Reactions: Ezzy and saundy
I have been receiving a text on my phone. It says: Linkt-: your payment has been overdue on December please avoid your fine charge please see https://link.t-ya.top
I do not know what they are talking about or what amount is overdue?
I have had Linkt scammers a few times, The first time I rang Linkt, and they advised it wasn't them, so now I just delete them straight away, DO NOT open, just delete.

Reactions: Ezzy
The bank has certainly looked after me. In only 3 months I have had to change my Mastercard 4 times. The inconvenience you would all know. One instance I rec/d a phone call by a very cultured voice telling me he worked for the bank & had sent my last Mastercard to me with the wrong number on the back. Then he asked me for the number. I answered, "Well Sir, I will need to go to my bank to fix it" & hung up immediately. I feel so sorry for the elderly who are expected to catch on to all the murky situations they are supposed to know. I am alarmed how many I know who aren't computer literate. I'd love to toss mine out , especially when half the stuff is gossip, but it IS handy. However, it does have its advantages. It IS a wicked time waster though,....There must be a traitor to blame working in the bank because he knew my plight asking me .
'

Update on the new antivirus program I installed a few weeks ago it is Total AV I am very impressed it is installed on my phone as well as my computer I have not received any problems with my devices since I installed the software, it tells me if a site is not to be installed or opened.
I definitely will be keeping this program on all my devices, I consider it extremely important for me.