SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jan A

Jan A

Dec 16, 2021
Sydney
Scammers using Gumtree to trick sellers into revealing their bank and email details

This one is for users of Gumtree Australia. Today I put an ad on Gumtree for 39 large floor tiles to sell with proceeds going to charity. Within 2 seconds of putting my ad on Gumtree, I got an email claiming to be from “SecurB0T212” saying that I “had not completed the verify, which will take no more than 10 minutes” and providing a link to click on. This email was obviously rubbish and I deleted it. Within one second, I got an email purporting to be from “Gumtree Seller Support” saying that someone had bought the tiles, delivery was fully paid for, and I should send my email address “to get information about the payment and buyer information". Note they used the spelling: “emaiL”. I deleted that one and immediately got another similar one claiming to be from “WebSupport”, and telling me the tiles were purchased by Amanda Notar (whoever that is) and the delivery service had been fully paid by the buyer. This email also asked for my “emaiL” address “to get information about the payment and buyer information”. Again, I deleted it. It is a total mystery how anyone could complete such a purchase without knowing who is selling the items and organize delivery without knowing the address where the items are! Clearly this is a scam.

Gumtree is specific that they do not ask for individuals’ email addresses. They prefer all emails to go through their own system. If you advertise on Gumtree, delete any emails that come in saying someone has bought your item. If that was the case, that person would have been in touch with you direct and you would have organized payment between you. There is no intermediary support group for Gumtree.

Be equally wary of people purporting to be buyers but tell you they are away on holidays and cannot pick up from your place. They will want to send a courier. They say they will pay the courier cost and they need your bank account details to put the money into your account so you can pay the courier. They send a link for you to click on. This link will connect to your bank. Your reply to this type of email should be something to the effect that this is not an acceptable procedure and you then delete their emails. Please be aware not to give your email address or any other details to someone requesting them on Gumtree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today a fake “Invoice” arrived from a sender calling itself “[email protected]”: reprinted below. In the “To” line it had an email address that I had never heard of. There were no identifying details at all, no name or address. There was no indication of what had been purchased. Note the keying errors. Some of it doesn’t even make sense. As it says “US customers only” at the bottom, I wonder why I received it.

This is another example of scam emails trying to get you to contact the scammers and reveal bank account details. If you receive anything like an invoice or a notice that you owe money for anything at all, and it contains no identifying details, it is a scam - delete it! Similarly, if you receive anything that says the government or some other agency owes you money or you are entitled to a rebate, and it contains no identifying details, it is a scam - delete it.

PayPal
Here's your invoice
If you have any issues, do let us know +1 (808) 272-8863! sent you an invoice for $799.00 USD
Due on receipt.
Invoice details
Amount requested
$799.00 USD
Invoice number
Don't recognize this invoice?
Before paying, make sure you recognize this invoice. If you don't, report it. Learn moreabout common security threats and how to spot them. For example, PayPal would never use an invoice or a money request to ask you for your account credentials.
Buy now. Pay over time.
Simply select PayPal Credit at checkout and enjoy No Interest if paid in full in 6 months. Subject to credit approval. See terms. US customers only.
PayPal

Reactions: DLHM
I got caught 6 yrs ago. A supposed miner in NT answered my add for a loungesuite for sale. Told me that he worked at this mine and couldn't get to the bank. Could I pay for transport and insurance. Being kind-hearted and understanding as I am, I fell for it. $2k out of pocket. No truck turned up. The Trading Post was the recommended method at the time. I haven't used The Trading Post since.

I get about 50 per day scam emails , inviting to click on links etc. Every thing from senders pretending to be Telstra, Australia Post, tech security companies, even ones inviting me to improve my manhood making my penis longer and harder! I don't have a penis. 🤣
I like the one where I got a call saying the Roof restoration and Cladding Company was in my area and notice my roof needed attention and offered half price on Cladding if I agreed to put down a $1,000 deposit that day. The house they were looking to work on was actually a vacant block.

The same happened to me recently I had a reply to my ad Within minutes of posting my item saying that they couldn’t pick up but could organise a courier which I replied with it’s local pick up only. Half an hour later their profile had been deleted from gum tree.

I do a lot of selling on gumtree and get these things happening all the time.
They always want you to answer direct by email and give that many different stories as to why they can't come and get the goods themselves e.g. they work FIFO, work on a rig in the South China Sea, currently have COVID, etc etc. Don't deal with anyone who won't come and pay you direct when they pick up the goods.

Have you noticed lately in your inbox a lot of fake Microsoft, Facebook, Instagram, Paypal, Amazon, Telstra emails popping up? I have never been with Testra, Amazon and I'm scarcely on Instagram.
I reply with Xx and send, then wait. I always get an Unable to send reply so I mark it as Phishing. Sometimes I can block them.
This week I'll be installing more security with my PC and devices.

Reactions: Jill57 and kez066
I got a very slick looking SMS from my supposed energy provider yesterday.
It said they were here to help if I could not make my power payment in total. Wasn't I lucky that they could give me a special instalment facility....DUUUH
It looked very real, however, I am distrustful of pretty much everything, so deleted it immediately and blocked the bullcr** out of it.
What I find disturbing is that my power bill was close to the figure shown, and I had paid it only a couple of days before the message arrived. It is a mystery how these mongrels can get hold of who my provider is and when my account is sent out.
Nothing is sacred, or completely safe. So, even if there is a tiny little doubt ... DELETE, DELETE, DELETE

It’s getting worse by the day ! So many scammers out there. Makes me kind of glad I’m at this end of my life. I hate to think what it’s going to be like when my great grandchildren grow up.

Have you noticed lately in your inbox a lot of fake Microsoft, Facebook, Instagram, Paypal, Amazon, Telstra emails popping up? I have never been with Testra, Amazon and I'm scarcely on Instagram.
I reply with Xx and send, then wait. I always get an Unable to send reply so I mark it as Phishing. Sometimes I can block them.
This week I'll be installing more security with my PC and devices.
Exactly I usually put piss off ! always come back unable to send. Same as phone calls ring number and operator always comes up with number not in service

Reactions: Jill57
It's either money up front in person or no deal. Easy.

Just another tad of advice if selling anything of high value, when any prospective buyer comes knocking on your door for your advertised wares, if you have a mobile phone, casually take a photo of the number plate of their car. i.e., even before you let them view your wares. Even taking note of same.

Another safety issue, again if your wares are of "HIGH VALUE" & the prospective buyers want it at all costs, if all parties agree on the price, DO NOT TAKE CASH AT ALL COSTS. Why, because you could well become a victim of a serious crime for them to regain that cash & also have your wares.

Ask them for a bank cheque made out in your name. That's exactly what friends of ours did on a $30K deal.
The buyers had the cash to hand over, but they refused & asked them to come back with a bank cheque, which they did.

Be very careful friends.