Scammers play pretend with company impersonations on social media

In the digital age, where social media platforms have become a cornerstone of daily communication, a new wave of trickery has emerged, targeting unsuspecting Australians, particularly those of us who may not be as tech-savvy.

This deceptive tactic aims to exploit unsuspecting users through a web of trickery, highlighting the need for vigilance and caution in the digital realm.

Scammers are now impersonating reputable companies on social media to gain the trust of potential victims, leading to significant financial losses.

A concerning incident involving Bendigo Bank highlighted the sophistication of these scams.

compressed-shutterstock_2160486223.jpeg
A new scam where fraudsters are impersonating companies in social media to gain the victims’ trust was reported to Bendigo Bank. Credits: Shutterstock

According to Jason Gordon, a spokesperson from the bank, ‘A recent scam case reported to the Bank detailed an account of a scammer claiming to be from a company the customer was familiar with.’

‘To legitimise the call and their alleged credentials, the scammer had created an authentic-looking LinkedIn profile and directed the victim to it in a successful effort to gain trust.’

This cunning act of deception resulted in the victim being defrauded, a scenario that is becoming all too common.

According to the Australian Government's Scamwatch page, a staggering $15 million was reported lost to remote-access scams in 2023 alone.

These scams involve fraudsters gaining remote access to victims' computers and phones under false pretences, often leading to theft of sensitive information or unauthorised financial transactions.

The easiest way to protect yourself from such scams, as advised by Gordon, is to exercise caution and scepticism.

'If you did not originate the call and you're being asked for information or to enable remote access, hang up,' he recommended.

‘This kind of trickery, combined with other tactics like spoofing—when phone calls appear to come from legitimate numbers and SMS messages appear in the same conversation thread as genuine communications—make it extremely difficult for people to detect genuine communications.’

In 2023, half of all remote access scams reported to Scamwatch involved victims receiving unsolicited calls.

However, scammers are not limited to phone calls. Gordon said that scammers also reach out via text, social media, or email, using ‘every trick in the book’ to access your computer.

According to him, they may pose as representatives from your bank, a utility company, or even a government agency.

‘Once access is granted, scammers may install malicious software, steal sensitive information, or initiate unauthorised transactions, leaving victims and their bank accounts vulnerable,’ Gordon explained.

‘Criminals are getting adept at carefully constructing often complex communications that convincingly mirror those of the brand they are impersonating.’

Gordon emphasised that Bendigo Bank, like many reputable institutions, will never ask for your personal details over unsolicited communications.

As the prevalence of online scams continues to rise, it becomes imperative for individuals to be aware of the various tactics employed by fraudsters.

From impersonating reputable companies on social media to executing elaborate schemes, scammers are relentless in their pursuit of exploiting unsuspecting victims.

In light of these threats, it is crucial for all internet users to remain vigilant and equipped with the knowledge necessary to identify and avoid falling prey to such fraudulent activities.
Key Takeaways
  • Fraudsters were reported to be impersonating companies on social media platforms like LinkedIn to gain the trust of their victims and commit scams.
  • In 2023, almost $15 million was reported lost to remote-access scams in Australia, highlighting the significant threat of this type of fraud.
  • Jason Gordon, a spokesperson from Bendigo Bank, advised customers to be cautious, recommending that if you did not initiate a call and were asked for information or to enable remote access, you should hang up.
  • Scammers employ various tactics such as 'spoofing' to appear legitimate, and may falsely claim to represent banks, utility companies, or government agencies to gain access to computers and personal information.
Have you encountered a similar scheme? Do you have other tips on how to address these types of scams? Let us know your stories and suggestions in the comments below!

Sponsored
Yes a few years ago a guy rang supposedly from Telstra wanting to fix something and needed me to go to a website and agree to comply with what it said. I was suspicious and said no ! he got quite nasty and I hung up. When I looked into the website he wanted me to agree to, I would have been allowing him to control my computer.

Pay every thing with cash do less with cards
Unfortunately my aged care home assistance provider refuses to accept cash - card only. I have to go there on Monday to pay my first a/c (hopefully with cash) but am expecting them to refuse to accept it. I find it totally unacceptable that legal tender i.e. cash, is not being accepted by companies like this. How many more seniors are uncomfortable with using cards or other electronic means of paying bills?

Pay by bank c heque, which gives you 3 days to a week to contact your bank to stop it. Simple.

Reactions: Tootie
we repeatedly say that people who get scammed should be more aware and NOT take part. Yet now I am having my doubts. I am pretty savvy but I could not say I would not be taken in. What is with this AI stuff? SCARY. By taking cash away it is going to be doubly hard for some. I loathe Labour and all that is happening to Australia right now.

Reactions: DJRayner and Tootie
we repeatedly say that people who get scammed should be more aware and NOT take part. Yet now I am having my doubts. I am pretty savvy but I could not say I would not be taken in. What is with this AI stuff? SCARY. By taking cash away it is going to be doubly hard for some. I loathe Labour and all that is happening to Australia right now.
I loathe the LNP more than I loathe the ALP. Both are bloody useless socially but the ALP/Labour party of the UK (both now merely relics of the Labour Movement) have a more humane track record through history since the late 1800s.

As for AI. Research into AI should be stopped. Simple. It is extremely dangerous.

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
For the past week I have been receiving an "email" from " iiNet", saying that I have not paid the monthly fee and if I did not click the highlight section and pay, I would be suspended from iiNet. As I am not the account holder (my husband is) I just ignored it. Now I am receiving another email saying there is a suspected virus on my computer. This one is also being deleted, my virus protection is up to date and working fine. I am a senior citizen and fully aware of these scams, but they are still frightening also I only use the computer to contact family and friends and of course my crafts, and do not fully understand the workings of computers and rely on our very good techie.

Reactions: Ezzy
Unfortunately my aged care home assistance provider refuses to accept cash - card only. I have to go there on Monday to pay my first a/c (hopefully with cash) but am expecting them to refuse to accept it. I find it totally unacceptable that legal tender i.e. cash, is not being accepted by companies like this. How many more seniors are uncomfortable with using cards or other electronic means of paying bills?
The last time I visited England I tried to buy something with a credit card which I had arranged before leaving Australia. The Shop Assistant said they did not accept credit cards unless they were issued in another country. My sister-in-law, whom I was visiting, was actually with me and said to the assistant, "Please look hard and you will see it was issued in Australia." The assistant then reluctant allowed me to use the credit card. How this would make a difference I am not sure as scammers could surely make a card that looked like it was from anywhere but England and the average shop assistant would not know whether it was genuine or not.

I loathe the LNP more than I loathe the ALP. Both are bloody useless socially but the ALP/Labour party of the UK (both now merely relics of the Labour Movement) have a more humane track record through history since the late 1800s.

As for AI. Research into AI should be stopped. Simple. It is extremely dangerous.
Yes, our very ‘Lucky Country’ is certainly living up to expectations right now isn’t it……AI is the biggest blight on society as we knew it. It’s becoming increasingly hard to distinguish between true reality and a completely made up alternative reality across the board, most especially the financial sector…..as you say, extremely dangerous and very very scary…

I thought this subject came up on this site recently.

I believe the member stated that cash could no be refused.
What would happen in the situation where a person did not have a card for payments?

My hairdresser had a sign up approx 2 months ago which read, 'CARD PREFERRED FOR PAYMENT'.
A week ago when l went for a haircut the sign was gone & a Pensioner haircut had increased $2. I had to wonder if everyone regardless of payment by cash or card was charged this as a Bank Fee.

I thought this subject came up on this site recently.

I believe the member stated that cash could no be refused.
What would happen in the situation where a person did not have a card for payments?

My hairdresser had a sign up approx 2 months ago which read, 'CARD PREFERRED FOR PAYMENT'.
A week ago when l went for a haircut the sign was gone & a Pensioner haircut had increased $2. I had to wonder if everyone regardless of payment by cash or card was charged this as a Bank Fee.
I notice that several holiday resorts will not accept payment in cash. What happens in the case of someone who does not have a card with which to pay? Not everyone has a credit or debit card.