SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
Scam Watch: Fake Bill Scam

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to warn you of a scam that member Margaret J. shared with us. This email landed in her inbox and is an email telling her to pay for a bill that she knew didn't exist. The bill was for $28 and the email had an attachment to the bill that she never opened. PLEASE DO NOT OPEN THIS EMAIL OR THE ATTACHMENT! Here's what the email looks like:

Sent: None

To: [Your email address]

Subject: BILLING UPDATE!!5559

Respected,[Your email address]

AUTO GENRATED BILL!!

Please keep an eye out in your inbox!

Scam Watch: Fake Bill Scam

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to warn you of a scam that member Margaret J. shared with us. This email landed in her inbox and is an email telling her to pay for a bill that she knew didn't exist. The bill was for $28 and the email had an attachment to the bill that she never opened. PLEASE DO NOT OPEN THIS EMAIL OR THE ATTACHMENT! Here's what the email looks like:

Sent: None

To: [Your email address]

Subject: BILLING UPDATE!!5559

Respected,[Your email address]

AUTO GENRATED BILL!!

Please keep an eye out in your inbox!
THANKYOU

I’m amazed at just what these scammers will try. I’m pretty vigilant about these things, but a few months ago, *nearly* got caught by one of the “Hey Mum” texts. It sounded SO like how my daughter would talk to me if she was in a hurry. Fortunately, I messaged her using FB Messenger, asking, “What did you do to your phone?” and she came back with “Nothing! Texting on it as we speak!” We chatted more, and for the first time, I learned that the Hey Mum scams were already well known. Clearly I wasn’t getting Seniors Discounts emails at that time! O.O

I’m amazed at just what these scammers will try. I’m pretty vigilant about these things, but a few months ago, *nearly* got caught by one of the “Hey Mum” texts. It sounded SO like how my daughter would talk to me if she was in a hurry. Fortunately, I messaged her using FB Messenger, asking, “What did you do to your phone?” and she came back with “Nothing! Texting on it as we speak!” We chatted more, and for the first time, I learned that the Hey Mum scams were already well known. Clearly I wasn’t getting Seniors Discounts emails at that time! O.O
Wow @annabellamariamaud I am so relieved to hear that you messaged your daughter on an alternative platform to check! These 'Hey Mum' text scams were horrific. We had a few members who unfortunately fell victim to them, because they honestly sounded exactly like how their children would message them. We try our best to get on top of the 'new scams' going around which we usually do by hearing from members! We always make sure if there's a new one going around we warn you all by featuring it in our newsletter and posting on our website! It's just so horrific, especially at this time of year when the cost of living is so high and we are all trying to celebrate Christmas too!

Reactions: Marj53
I also received one of the “Hi Mum” texts just last week. I’d already heard about them so didn’t do anything with it apart from block and delete. We have names that we use with each other plus my kids would call me and tell me about the problem, not text. But you have to be so careful as these scams are getting more realistic every day. Be ever vigilant people.

I keep getting emails telling me that some company or other has taken a yearly subscription to something via direct debit from my bank. It can be $600 or sometimes $300. I guess they expect people to panic and ring the strange looking number they provide. I got two emails only this morning. This has been going on for weeks. Just to be sure I check my bank account and delete the emails.

The emails I get the biggest laugh out of are the ones that tell me I haven't paid my phone or internet bills. Both these items are in my sons names and he has the money directly debited out of his bank account. Some scammers are just very stupid people.

My hubby got the MUM one asking for money ($150) as she was shopping at a certain supermarket and had forgotten her card but hubby knew straight away it could not be his mum as he as here in his contact list differently not just as mum and the supermarket she was supposedly at she never shops at.

There is also another one going around at the moment. I have had 2 emails from Transurban LinkT toll roads. The 1st one was for $5.00 and said I needed to pay it immediately and the 2nd one was for $5.00 again but this time the Federal Police would be notified if I didn't pay this toll. Firstly there are no $5.00 tolls on any of our toll roads here in Brisbane and secondly the Federal Police would laugh at someone if the wanted them to collect a $5.00 toll. I just check my accounts now. These scammers have become quite annoying. I suppose it's because their phone messages aren't being taken seriously either. The ACMA has an email address and phone number that you can send these emails and texts to. Phone 0429 999 888 and email address is [email protected]. Stay vigilant and don't click on any email links or press any number on the phone when asked to by these slime balls

Reactions: JustPat and Erik