Say goodbye to flying anxiety with these tips from a flight attendant!

Fear of flying is a common and understandable phobia that affects millions of people around the world. Even for experienced flyers, the nerves before a flight can be too much to handle.

But fear not, one flight attendant has shared her expert advice on how to conquer those nerves and fly with ease.

Whether you're planning a trip or just proactively looking for ways to ease your fear of flying, Sarah Goodwin from Perth has tips that are definitely worth checking out!

In a recent TikTok video, she even shared her advice on which seat to book to minimise turbulence.

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 7.34.57 AM.png
For those who suffer from air travel anxiety, Sarah provided some helpful advice. Credit: Instagram/_sarahgoodwin_.

According to Sarah, booking a seat as close to the front of the aircraft as possible is key. And the reason is simple, it's beyond the centre of gravity on the aircraft, making the impact of turbulence less noticeable.

Not only that, but seats near the wings are also a great option as they help to balance the plane and mitigate turbulence.

She also suggests speaking to the flight attendants who will be more than happy to help you through your fears.

Sarah said, 'At the end of the day, we deal with people all the time, so we are good at talking to them about things like this. Don't ever feel like it's something that we find annoying because I absolutely love to calm people's nerves when they're scared.'

Don't be afraid to reach out; they will not be annoyed and might even pull you aside if other passengers don't need help in order to provide a more private conversation. Your next flight could be a lot more enjoyable with this simple tip!

As you prepare for takeoff, it's also important to pay attention to your preflight diet.

According to Sarah, certain foods and drinks can exacerbate anxiety levels and cause digestion issues at high altitudes. To avoid these problems, steer clear of caffeine, salty and processed snacks, cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, bok choy, arugula, brussels sprouts), alcohol, and carbonated beverages.

But fear not; there are still plenty of tasty options to choose from. Sarah recommends indulging in unsalted nuts or fresh fruit. These foods are particularly beneficial on a flight as the dry cabin air can dull your sense of taste by up to 30%.

Lastly, Sarah suggests having a distraction to keep your mind off the flight.

As you soar through the skies, it's important to have a game plan for keeping yourself distracted and comfortable. Pack your in-flight essentials, including a small cosy pillow and blanket (or jacket), to create a warm and relaxing atmosphere.

Bring along a tablet loaded with your favourite TV shows, and make the most of the opportunity to catch up on episodes you've been meaning to watch.
Tip
Bring along some fun activities that don't require Wi-Fi, like crossword puzzles and Sudoku, to keep yourself entertained in case of any connection issues on the flight.
A good book is also a smart choice, as it can transport you to faraway lands and keep you engrossed for hours. Don't forget to pack your headphones and music, so you can tune out any unwanted noise and lose yourself in your own personal soundtrack.

With these distractions, you'll be able to relax and enjoy your journey, no matter how long the flight may be.

Key Takeaways

• A Flight Attendant, Sarah Goodwin, from Perth, revealed her advice for overcoming flying anxiety.
  • If you want to reduce the effects of turbulence, her advice is to get a seat as close to the front of the plane as possible. You can't go wrong with any of the seats near the wings, either.
  • She also recommends approaching the flight attendants for assistance; they are pros at dealing with passengers and will do their best to calm your nerves.
  • Avoid coffee, salty and processed snacks, cruciferous vegetables, alcohol, and fizzy beverages at high altitudes, as they might increase anxiety and digestive problems.
  • To avoid thinking about the flight, occupy yourself with a movie, book, game, or other simple activities.

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 7.34.51 AM.png
It's normal to be nervous before and during a flight, but luckily there are ways to deal with this fear and anxiety. Credit: Pexels/Tim Gouw.

If the thought of flying makes your heart race and your palms sweat, you're not alone. As fellow travellers, we understand the struggles of flying anxiety.

Aside from Sarah's advice, we want to hear from you too! If you have any additional tips and tricks that have worked for you, please don't hesitate to share them in the comments below.

Together, we can help each other conquer our fears and make flying a more enjoyable experience. So, pack your bags, grab your snacks, and let's take to the skies with confidence. Bon voyage!

Sponsored
It's totally normal to feel nervous before a flight, even for those who fly frequently. But the good news is, there are ways to conquer the nerves and make flying a more comfortable experience. Check out bestkavabar.com for all the details, you might just find some useful tips to calm your flying nerves and have a smooth flight. Happy travels!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tripper and Ricci
I’ve never been on a plane, partly because my husband thinks if he was meant to fly he would have been born with wings, but I reckon a good dose of Valium would calm anyone down and ease their stress.

I’ve never been on a plane, partly because my husband thinks if he was meant to fly he would have been born with wings, but I reckon a good dose of Valium would calm anyone down and ease their stress.
Oh you are missing so much. Leave him wingless and at home and go where your heart desires. We get one shot at our lives!

It's totally normal to feel nervous before a flight, even for those who fly frequently. But the good news is, there are ways to conquer the nerves and make flying a more comfortable experience. Check out bestkavabar.com for all the details, you might just find some useful tips to calm your flying nerves and have a smooth flight. Happy travels!
❓

I recall being petrified with my first plane flight to Tasmania for a holiday in the early 80's. My father in law (he was an ex SAS Paratrooper) advised me that plane problems arise with taking off or landing. I braced myself for that & found out it was an absolute waste of energy being scared as nothing happened. After that non event 1st flight, we had many other flying holidays, that it eventually became boring.

Reactions: terri
When I was a small child, my family moved form NSW to Victoria. So all our relatives were left behind. . But this meant trips back to see our grandparents. When our parents were unable to go we were sometimes sent to them on a plane. We became "junior airhostesses" and were looked after by the flight crew, as unaccompanied minors. It was my brother and sister amd me. Sometimes we were even taken into the cockpit. It was very exciting for us. I love flying. I dont do much though as we never had enough to go on holidays that far away.