Say goodbye to dingy whites with this ‘old-school’ laundry trick!

Do you feel like you're constantly wasting your hard-earned money on clothes and linens that lose their vibrant white colour over time? It's frustrating to pull out your once-pristine sheets or favourite white t-shirt and find that they now have a dull, dingy appearance.

But, worry not, because a clever Aussie mum may have found the perfect solution to bring your old whites back to life. Her laundry trick has gained attention on social media, and for a good reason.

On a popular Facebook page, this mum shared her simple method to revive a heavily-stained white pillow cover that had turned brown.

Imagine having all your whites looking new and fresh again without spending a fortune on new clothes and linens. With this laundry method, you can enjoy your whites just like the day you first bought them!

Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 11.25.41 AM.png
A savvy mum posted on a Facebook group showing her heavily-stained white pillow cover restored to its original colour using an 'old-school' method. Credit: Facebook.

So, how did she do it? The smart and savvy mum shared that she was inspired by another member who suggested boiling cleaning cloths in water with bicarb for 15 minutes.

Intrigued, she decided to try it out on her very dirty pillow cover, but with a twist - she added some Lectric Washing Soda (available in Coles and Woolworths) into the mix for an extra boost of cleaning power.

After boiling the item, she machine-washed it in her usual linen load with detergent and Napisan/Vanish Oxi and line-dried it. The result? Her pillow cover looked brand new again!

What's even more impressive is that this particular pillow cover had been washed many times in a machine with detergent and Napisan on a regular 40-degree wash, but it was boiling, followed by washing that made it white once again.

The mum's post has made waves on social media, with many people trying it out for themselves and achieving fantastic results. It just goes to show that sometimes, the simplest solutions are the most effective ones!

Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 11.25.47 AM.png
An Aussie mum shared a laundry trick for making whites white again by boiling them with bicarb and Lectric Washing Soda. Credit: Unsplash/Michal Balog.

There were a lot of positive comments, with one member exclaiming, 'This is an awesome result – I have to try this!'

Another member was equally impressed, saying, 'What an awesome result.'

A third member was a little apprehensive about trying the advice, admitting, 'I need to do this, but I'm afraid of what will come out.'

Some members were shocked by the results, with one member writing, 'Oh my goodness! I don't know if I feel more amazed or sick from the colour of the water!'

However, others were quick to point out that boiling sheets and towels is a common practice in hotels and hospitals, which is why their linens always look so pristine.

dohFlUOHiV-UI1nS9X0WZQv6pnnLa4rmuScPXMVyUy5dIbu_46VJxpvJ6iZ17MqWoUK-TLUmU44wB8A6hZd0qDg2m0JnMqKN5IuTePoGujU4epDmudH0YNBsUJes6dOwxoaQF9MbxTZo9VtNSkudp-8

In addition to using the method for pillow covers, many members shared that they use the method for other tough cleaning jobs. One member commented, 'I do this with tea towels every so often to strip and sanitise,' while another shared, 'I'm tempted to try this with my teenage boys' white sports shirts!'

For many, the idea was a nostalgic reminder of the 'olden days' when boiling nappies, hankies, and sheets was a common practice. As one Facebook user put it, 'This is a trick from the earlier generation - brilliant tip! Well done!'

Another member added, 'This brings back memories of my mum boiling tea towels and hankies every week.'

It's clear that the Aussie mum's laundry tip has struck a chord with many people, reminding them of simpler times when a little bit of boiling water and some common household products could solve any cleaning challenge.

Key Takeaways

• An Aussie mum's laundry trick for making old white clothes feel new again has gone viral on social media.
  • The method involves boiling white items in a pot of water with common household products like bicarb and washing soda.
  • Many people expressed excitement about trying the advice and were reminded of the old-fashioned practice of boiling laundry.

Speaking of laundry tips, we have more exciting news for you! After the laundry advice that brought dingy whites back to life, we've stumbled upon another amazing laundry detergent that's getting rave reviews online.

In a popular Facebook group for ALDI shoppers, one man compared Laundrite Laundry Liquid, which costs just $1.99 for a 2L bottle, with the more expensive Almat Laundry Liquid Concentrate, also from ALDI and priced at $5.49 for a 2L bottle.

Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 11.25.56 AM.png
One product that's caught the attention of shoppers is a laundry detergent that's said to work better than its more expensive counterparts. Credit: Facebook.

The ALDI shopper recently caused a stir on social media by sharing how the budget supermarket's $1.99 Laundrite Laundry Liquid has exceeded his expectations in comparison to a more expensive alternative!

He was amazed at how the product managed to remove long-term stains without soaking or pre-treatment, even leaving behind a pleasant apple fragrance.

Fellow ALDI shoppers were quick to agree, with some even claiming they had been using the product for years. Check out this link provided for more details on this affordable laundry detergent.

Laundry is a topic that never gets old, especially when there are new tips and products that come out all the time.

From boiling your clothes with bicarb soda and washing soda to using affordable yet effective laundry detergents like Laundrite from ALDI, it's clear that there are many ways to keep your whites looking brand new.

Have you tried any of these methods or products? Do you have any other laundry tips to share with the community? We'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences in the comments below! Let's keep the conversation going and make laundry day a little bit easier for everyone.

Sponsored
Do you feel like you're constantly wasting your hard-earned money on clothes and linens that lose their vibrant white colour over time? It's frustrating to pull out your once-pristine sheets or favourite white t-shirt and find that they now have a dull, dingy appearance.

But, worry not, because a clever Aussie mum may have found the perfect solution to bring your old whites back to life. Her laundry trick has gained attention on social media, and for a good reason.

On a popular Facebook page, this mum shared her simple method to revive a heavily-stained white pillow cover that had turned brown.

Imagine having all your whites looking new and fresh again without spending a fortune on new clothes and linens. With this laundry method, you can enjoy your whites just like the day you first bought them!

View attachment 16733
A savvy mum posted on a Facebook group showing her heavily-stained white pillow cover restored to its original colour using an 'old-school' method. Credit: Facebook.

So, how did she do it? The smart and savvy mum shared that she was inspired by another member who suggested boiling cleaning cloths in water with bicarb for 15 minutes.

Intrigued, she decided to try it out on her very dirty pillow cover, but with a twist - she added some Lectric Washing Soda (available in Coles and Woolworths) into the mix for an extra boost of cleaning power.

After boiling the item, she machine-washed it in her usual linen load with detergent and Napisan/Vanish Oxi and line-dried it. The result? Her pillow cover looked brand new again!

What's even more impressive is that this particular pillow cover had been washed many times in a machine with detergent and Napisan on a regular 40-degree wash, but it was boiling, followed by washing that made it white once again.

The mum's post has made waves on social media, with many people trying it out for themselves and achieving fantastic results. It just goes to show that sometimes, the simplest solutions are the most effective ones!

View attachment 16734
An Aussie mum shared a laundry trick for making whites white again by boiling them with bicarb and Lectric Washing Soda. Credit: Unsplash/Michal Balog.

There were a lot of positive comments, with one member exclaiming, 'This is an awesome result – I have to try this!'

A third member was a little apprehensive about trying the advice, admitting, 'I need to do this, but I'm afraid of what will come out.'

Some members were shocked by the results, with one member writing, 'Oh my goodness! I don't know if I feel more amazed or sick from the colour of the water!'

However, others were quick to point out that boiling sheets and towels is a common practice in hotels and hospitals, which is why their linens always look so pristine.

dohFlUOHiV-UI1nS9X0WZQv6pnnLa4rmuScPXMVyUy5dIbu_46VJxpvJ6iZ17MqWoUK-TLUmU44wB8A6hZd0qDg2m0JnMqKN5IuTePoGujU4epDmudH0YNBsUJes6dOwxoaQF9MbxTZo9VtNSkudp-8

In addition to using the method for pillow covers, many members shared that they use the method for other tough cleaning jobs. One member commented, 'I do this with tea towels every so often to strip and sanitise,' while another shared, 'I'm tempted to try this with my teenage boys' white sports shirts!'

For many, the idea was a nostalgic reminder of the 'olden days' when boiling nappies, hankies, and sheets was a common practice. As one Facebook user put it, 'This is a trick from the earlier generation - brilliant tip! Well done!'

Another member added, 'This brings back memories of my mum boiling tea towels and hankies every week.'

It's clear that the Aussie mum's laundry tip has struck a chord with many people, reminding them of simpler times when a little bit of boiling water and some common household products could solve any cleaning challenge.

Key Takeaways

• An Aussie mum's laundry trick for making old white clothes feel new again has gone viral on social media.
  • The method involves boiling white items in a pot of water with common household products like bicarb and washing soda.
  • Many people expressed excitement about trying the advice and were reminded of the old-fashioned practice of boiling laundry.

Speaking of laundry tips, we have more exciting news for you! After the laundry advice that brought dingy whites back to life, we've stumbled upon another amazing laundry detergent that's getting rave reviews online.

In a popular Facebook group for ALDI shoppers, one man compared Laundrite Laundry Liquid, which costs just $1.99 for a 2L bottle, with the more expensive Almat Laundry Liquid Concentrate, also from ALDI and priced at $5.49 for a 2L bottle.

View attachment 16735
One product that's caught the attention of shoppers is a laundry detergent that's said to work better than its more expensive counterparts. Credit: Facebook.

The ALDI shopper recently caused a stir on social media by sharing how the budget supermarket's $1.99 Laundrite Laundry Liquid has exceeded his expectations in comparison to a more expensive alternative!

He was amazed at how the product managed to remove long-term stains without soaking or pre-treatment, even leaving behind a pleasant apple fragrance.

Fellow ALDI shoppers were quick to agree, with some even claiming they had been using the product for years. Check out this link provided for more details on this affordable laundry detergent.

Laundry is a topic that never gets old, especially when there are new tips and products that come out all the time.

From boiling your clothes with bicarb soda and washing soda to using affordable yet effective laundry detergents like Laundrite from ALDI, it's clear that there are many ways to keep your whites looking brand new.

Have you tried any of these methods or products? Do you have any other laundry tips to share with the community? We'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences in the comments below! Let's keep the conversation going and make laundry day a little bit easier for everyone.
My Nanna used to boil her sheets and my pa’s white shirts in the copper, then add a blue bag to make them the whitest items ever, not sure if the little blue bag is still available ❤️

My Nanna used to boil her sheets and my pa’s white shirts in the copper, then add a blue bag to make them the whitest items ever, not sure if the little blue bag is still available ❤️
The blue bags aren't available anymore . My son is allergic to bees and by putting blue bags in them it stopped the area swelling and took away the pain. That was my nan's remedy

Reactions: Ricci and ShannyN
I remember my nan boiling the whites including sheets, pillowcases and towels in a copper filled with boiling water . She then had an old wringer machine that she would hand wring afterwards. Boy we have it easy now

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 16733

View attachment 16734

Key Takeaways

View attachment 16735

I well remember the bags of blue, pretty sure they are not available anymore. Washing day started with lighting the fire under the copper, outside of course. When the water was boiling in went the whites, detergent and blue. Regular stirring with a wooden pole ensured everything got washed.After at least 15 minutes the clothes were carefully lifted out with the wooden pole and placed in a basket or big dish. Then they were taken to the clothesline and using the stick again flung over the line. Sometimes they went too far and fell on the other side on the ground. Oops, back in the wash they went. Hope mum wasn’t looking, but she always was and wasn’t impressed as this held up the washing process. When the clothes over the line were cool enough they were spread out, excess water squeezed out by hand and pegged . Meanwhile the next load was merrily boiling away. First the whites, which included sheets, pillowcases, then the lighter less soiled coloured such as tea towels and tablecloths, then towels, then the underwear and girls clothes, lastly the boys and men’s clothes as they were always the dirtiest. Washing time was adjusted according the load. Less time in the copper for delicates and baby clothes. Washing was generally done once a week. Babies nappies were done daily, again with a bag of blue and always in a smaller wash on their own with the water discarded after the wash. There were no disposable nappies or nappy liners back then. We had wire strung between two posts for a clothesline and a branch off a tree with a fork at the top for a clothes prop, we placed it under the wire and propped it up as high as we could to keep the washing from dragging on the ground, making sure the bottom of the prop was dug into the ground so it couldn’t slip and ditch all the clothes onto the ground, resulting in another round of washing and a very unhappy mum. Such good memories.

What do you boil sheets in?
I can’t think of anything big enough to fit a king size sheet in to boil?
Any ideas would be appreciated 😀

I remember when I first left home, the nearest I came to a washing machine was an electric copper. I used to stand it on an old wooden kitchen chair and armed with a huge set of wooden tongs wage war against dirty washing. I had one of those drying racks on pulleys so by the end of the day I was absolutely worn out. I thought all my Christmases had come at once when I progressed to a twin tub with a hand mangle on the side! Mind you I was always of the opinion that the copper gave a far superior wash but the labour saving made washing day a whole lot easier. :)

Reactions: debjane and Gsr
Can buy liquid blue in a bottle now.

View attachment 16733

View attachment 16734

Key Takeaways

View attachment 16735

Boiling items of laundry was common practice. We used to use a copper and boil the sheets and other items before washing whether using a dolly board or a machine and mangle.

View attachment 16733

View attachment 16734

Key Takeaways

View attachment 16735

These days homes dont have the old coppers like my grandma used & my washing machine doesnt have a "boiling" temperature setting, so I'm not going to be able to try this trick on anything bigger than a tea towel or tshirt i guess damn it!

Reactions: Gsr and Ricci
Not to forget using wooden dolly pegs out of the big square metal Arnotts biscuit tin which started out fairly new, with the logo and rosella in full color on a green painted tin wth a hinged lid. A lot of the pegs had faces drawn on them in coloured pencil and crayon as that was something else us kids did to fill in time. My mum used that same peg tin until she passed away, then my dad used it until he passed away. It was faded with no color left on it, the lid was long gone and it was battered and dented from at least 60 years of use. My brother still has it in his shed with some dolly pegs still in it, some of which still have faded drawings on them that we all did as kids. The dolly pegs back then were really made to last not like the modern version that splits after being used a few times. I have some dolly pegs my grandchildren have drawn on that I am keeping in my memory box.

I also have some my children drew on in my memory box. My children used to love looking through my memory box when they were young, now my grandchildren love to do it. They find it hard to believe how different my life as a child was to how their life is.