Say goodbye to crowded flights: Qantas introduces Neighbour-Free Empty Seat Program

We are all familiar with the frustrations that come with travelling in economy class – the grumpy or noisy neighbours, the limited legroom, and other inconveniences that make the journey less than enjoyable.

There are more comfortable ways to go from point A to point B, and just the thought of it might already give you a headache.

Don’t worry because Qantas has recently introduced a solution that aims to alleviate these discomforts and provide passengers with a little extra breathing space. Introducing the Neighbour-Free Empty Seat program, a game-changer in the world of economy travel!

In the past, this innovative perk was reserved for frequent flyers, a well-kept secret among the frequent travellers. However, Qantas has now made this program accessible to all passengers, regardless of their frequent flyer status.

Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 1.00.42 PM.png
Qantas has introduced the Neighbour-Free Empty Seat Program, allowing passengers to reserve the seat next to them for a fee. Credit: Unsplash/kaysha.

So, whether you're a seasoned globetrotter or a casual flyer, you can now take advantage of this exciting opportunity. Curious about how this enchanting program operates? Let's go through the process step by step:
  1. Begin by booking an eligible economy seat on a domestic Qantas flight of your choice.
  2. If the flight has available seats, approximately two days prior to departure, Qantas will send you an email invitation to reserve the neighbouring seat.
  3. Take advantage of this opportunity by selecting your preferred standard seat first, then choosing your Neighbour-Free seat.
  4. To enjoy the added luxury of the program, you will be required to make a payment ranging from $30 to $65, depending on the specific route.
For instance, if you're travelling between Sydney and Melbourne, the Neighbour-Free seat can be secured for as little as $35. Other eligible routes, such as Adelaide to Brisbane, Brisbane to Perth, and Darwin to Sydney, have a set price of $65.

Before you finalise your booking for a Neighbour-Free seat, it's essential to familiarise yourself with a few terms and conditions to ensure a smooth experience:
  • The spare seat provided through the program cannot be used for children, musical instruments, or additional carry-on bags.
  • Neighbour-Free seats are subject to availability and may be withdrawn at the last minute. In the event that Qantas sells the seat to another passenger, you may still end up with a neighbour. You will then be refunded the fee.
  • It's important to note that seating arrangements may change even after boarding the aircraft due to operational, safety, or security reasons. The final decision regarding seating will be communicated at the gate.
  • The Neighbour-Free Empty Seat program is exclusively available on select routes. It is not applicable to international flights and some of the busiest domestic routes.

Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 1.00.53 PM.png
Neighbour-Free is currently only available on select Qantas-operated Australian domestic flights. Credit: Qantas.

Despite these conditions, Qantas has reassured customers that if any of the situations mentioned above occur, a full refund for the Neighbour-Free seat will be provided.

‘We’ll email you confirming your refund has been processed to the original form of payment. Allow two weeks for funds to appear in your account,’ it says on the company’s website.

For more questions about this program, feel free to check out more information on the Qantas website.

Key Takeaways

• Qantas has introduced the Neighbour-Free Empty Seat program, allowing passengers to reserve an additional seat beside them in economy class for added comfort.
  • Passengers can book an eligible economy seat on a domestic Qantas flight and, if available, reserve the neighbouring seat for a fee ranging from $30 to $65, depending on the route.
  • However, some conditions include restrictions on using the spare seat for children or extra baggage, the possibility of seats being sold to others, and the program being limited to select domestic routes.

We understand the value of friendship and togetherness, but there are times when privacy and personal space become essential for a peaceful journey. This newly introduced seat program presents an appealing option to enhance your flight experience with added comfort.

Having a few extra inches of elbow room during a flight is not only desirable but can also bring several benefits. Why endure the discomfort of being cramped in your seat if you have the opportunity to avoid it?

Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 1.01.01 PM.png
Having extra space during a flight is more than just a luxury. Credit: Flickr.

The availability of extra space on a flight can help minimise the risk of falling ill by reducing exposure to germs from neighbouring passengers. Having additional space can enhance mental clarity by alleviating stress and fatigue, ultimately allowing you to stay engaged and excited about your destination.

Also, allowing your fellow passengers to have some extra space offers them the comfort and privacy they may need to relax and recharge during long flights. Who knows, it might even foster smoother and more pleasant conversations throughout the journey, creating a more hospitable atmosphere for everyone on board.

Having extra space during a flight is more than just a luxury; it can be the key to a more enjoyable flying experience and increase your chances of arriving at your destination feeling refreshed.

We'd love to hear your thoughts on this concept! Are you willing to invest additional funds for the opportunity to have extra space during flights? Or do you feel that this is something you can do without? Share your opinion with us in the comments!

Sponsored
When I travel if I'm without my carer I usually have my larger than usual walker mobility aid. Most airline organise a suitable place for me plus said walker and it doesn't cost me a cent more. I'm first to board and usually first to deplane at my destination. It's great as with all this help offered I will attend family get togethers that otherwise I would miss. Helps me to not be a hermit. You just have to ask. You never know what is available 😉

Qantas makes flying so damn uncomfortable, as do all airlines these days quite deliberately so that they can cram as many people into a space that is inhumanly small and then say," Hey guys, you want a bit more room for your legs and shoulders and arms? Do we have a deal for you!".

At one time airlines actually gave enough legroom that there was no talk of deep-vein thrombosis and that tall people could travel in reasonable comfort. Qantas; Jetstar? Get a CEO who is 1.88m tall and then get him to take a round-the-world flight in cattle class!

Reactions: Granny*Deb and Ezzy
Guess with the extra arm room comes extra leg room because one could stretch across to their paid space.

Bit rude that the extra seat needs to be paid for before allocation but if this is cancelled by the airline a refund will not be received into your account for another 2 weeks. They get interest on my money, which may be a small amount, but if other businesses can do an on the spot refund, why can't Qantas do the same??
Easy as falling off a log with a computer & they have your credit details etc.

Reactions: Granny*Deb
We need high-speed rail across Australia. The Chinese have it, the Vietnamese are building it, Europe has it........?Australi? Ha!

Reactions: Ezzy and Granny*Deb
When I travel if I'm without my carer I usually have my larger than usual walker mobility aid. Most airline organise a suitable place for me plus said walker and it doesn't cost me a cent more. I'm first to board and usually first to deplane at my destination. It's great as with all this help offered I will attend family get togethers that otherwise I would miss. Helps me to not be a hermit. You just have to ask. You never know what is available 😉
Good advice, just ask. Many companies & people still look for an opportunity to go the extra mile, l believe.
Fabulous that with this assistance you are not a prisoner at home. (⁠•⁠‿⁠•⁠)

• Love
Reactions: Granny*Deb