Say Goodbye to Baking Paper Struggles: Discover This Easy Kitchen Tip!

As seasoned bakers (or even just the occasional dabblers), we can all agree that nothing beats the smell of freshly baked bread, cookies, or our personal favourite—the classic lamington. However, let's face it, sometimes, the process of baking can be a bit fiddly and frustrating, especially when it comes to lining our cake tins and trays with stubborn baking paper.

With the much-anticipated new season of The Great Australian Bake Off just around the corner, set to grace our TV screens in 2023, we thought it was the perfect time to share some baking wisdom.

compressed-bake-off.jpeg
Meet the esteemed judges and charismatic hosts who will inspire and entertain you in the 2023 season of The Great Australian Bake Off. Source: FOXTEL

The Great Australian Bake Off is shaking things up this time with a brand-new lineup of hosts and judges.

Rachel Khoo and Darren Purchese will take on the roles of judges, while Natalie Tran and Cal Wilson will bring their charm as hosts of the beloved baking show. Make sure to mark your calendars, as the new season kicks off on FOXTEL starting June 13.

In preparation for all the scrumptious baking inspiration that's sure to ensue, the talented baker Laura Foo shared her top baking tips.

The Baking Paper Tip​

compressed-wax-paper-2000-69367138505f4244b5fa06e57cd09922.jpeg
Baker Laura Foo revealed an amazingly simple yet highly effective use for baking paper. Source: SouthernLiving

If you've ever found yourself battling with baking paper, trying to keep it in place while working with round tins, worry no more! Laura Foo has uncovered the ultimate solution to this all-too-familiar baking predicament. Bid farewell to those uneven and messy outcomes once and for all!

'Anytime you want to use baking paper to line a round or tart tin, cut a slightly larger piece than your tin, then scrunch it up into a ball. Once unfurled, it will fit into all the nooks, crannies, and curves of your tin!

'I saw Jamie Oliver do this on one of his many fantastic shows once, and I’ve never looked back. No more struggling to cut baking paper—just scrunch, tuck [it] into your tin, and get on with your recipe.'

Key Takeaways
  • The Great Australian Bake Off is set to return to Aussie television screens in 2023 with a fresh line-up of judges and hosts.
  • Baker Laura Foo shared an incredibly simple but effective tip using baking paper.
  • The baking tip involves scrunching up baking paper into a ball before lining a tin, making it easier to fit into rounded tins or trays.

You've got to try out this absolute gem of a baking tip—trust us, it works wonders! Just imagine the time you'll save and how much better your baked treats will look. It's a game-changer!

Now, with this fantastic kitchen trick up your sleeve, you'll be joining the ranks of countless Aussie baking enthusiasts eagerly tuning in to watch The Great Australian Bake Off. Make sure to catch it on FOXTEL every Tuesday at 8.30 pm, starting from June 13.

By the way, we’re curious: what's your favourite thing to bake? Share your go-to recipes or any baking stories you'd like to share!

Sponsored
I've watched Jamie Oliver on tv doing it. He wet it under the running tap and then scrunched the water out of it. Then lined it in a greased cake or loaf tin. It works.

• Love
Reactions: Gsr and SussieQ
I've watched Jamie Oliver on tv doing it. He wet it under the running tap and then scrunched the water out of it. Then lined it in a greased cake or loaf tin. It works.
I also watched Jamie Oliver he wet it and it is AWESOME and so simple and effective. YEAH!!

As seasoned bakers (or even just the occasional dabblers), we can all agree that nothing beats the smell of freshly baked bread, cookies, or our personal favourite—the classic lamington. However, let's face it, sometimes, the process of baking can be a bit fiddly and frustrating, especially when it comes to lining our cake tins and trays with stubborn baking paper.

With the much-anticipated new season of The Great Australian Bake Off just around the corner, set to grace our TV screens in 2023, we thought it was the perfect time to share some baking wisdom.

View attachment 22218
Meet the esteemed judges and charismatic hosts who will inspire and entertain you in the 2023 season of The Great Australian Bake Off. Source: FOXTEL

The Great Australian Bake Off is shaking things up this time with a brand-new lineup of hosts and judges.

Rachel Khoo and Darren Purchese will take on the roles of judges, while Natalie Tran and Cal Wilson will bring their charm as hosts of the beloved baking show. Make sure to mark your calendars, as the new season kicks off on FOXTEL starting June 13.

In preparation for all the scrumptious baking inspiration that's sure to ensue, the talented baker Laura Foo shared her top baking tips.

The Baking Paper Tip​

View attachment 22219
Baker Laura Foo revealed an amazingly simple yet highly effective use for baking paper. Source: SouthernLiving

If you've ever found yourself battling with baking paper, trying to keep it in place while working with round tins, worry no more! Laura Foo has uncovered the ultimate solution to this all-too-familiar baking predicament. Bid farewell to those uneven and messy outcomes once and for all!

'Anytime you want to use baking paper to line a round or tart tin, cut a slightly larger piece than your tin, then scrunch it up into a ball. Once unfurled, it will fit into all the nooks, crannies, and curves of your tin!

'I saw Jamie Oliver do this on one of his many fantastic shows once, and I’ve never looked back. No more struggling to cut baking paper—just scrunch, tuck [it] into your tin, and get on with your recipe.'

Key Takeaways

• The Great Australian Bake Off is set to return to Aussie television screens in 2023 with a fresh line-up of judges and hosts.
  • Baker Laura Foo shared an incredibly simple but effective tip using baking paper.
  • The baking tip involves scrunching up baking paper into a ball before lining a tin, making it easier to fit into rounded tins or trays.

You've got to try out this absolute gem of a baking tip—trust us, it works wonders! Just imagine the time you'll save and how much better your baked treats will look. It's a game-changer!

Now, with this fantastic kitchen trick up your sleeve, you'll be joining the ranks of countless Aussie baking enthusiasts eagerly tuning in to watch The Great Australian Bake Off. Make sure to catch it on FOXTEL every Tuesday at 8.30 pm, starting from June 13.

By the way, we’re curious: what's your favourite thing to bake? Share your go-to recipes or any baking stories you'd like to share!
I too saw the episode Jamie did that and it's been so much better using baking paper.

Reactions: Penny4
I have an even more amazing baking tip.
Pop in the car and go to my local cake shop. Lovely treat every now and then.

Reactions: Gsr
My mum taught me to run around the outside of the tin with the point of scissors, then cut the paper just a tad bigger all around and it fits perfectly. This is how I line all my tins. Always used greaseproof paper as it isn’t as stiff as baking paper.

My mum taught me to run around the outside of the tin with the point of scissors, then cut the paper just a tad bigger all around and it fits perfectly. This is how I line all my tins. Always used greaseproof paper as it isn’t as stiff as baking paper.
Yes, it does make a better fit. Often I use a good old pencil for the outside of the tin. I seem to remember greaseproof paper needed to be greased, whereas baking paper doesn't.

But you don't need to wet it you just screw it up and BREAK the memory of the paper
Yeah. I've only attempted it once, and I didn't wet it. I use square pieces of baking paper for muffins, with an upside down drinking glass for a mould. I use my hand to mould the paper around the upside down glass. It sits neatly in the pan. Not a fan of washing muffin pans, so the pan is cleaner for washing.

Yes, it does make a better fit. Often I use a good old pencil for the outside of the tin. I seem to remember greaseproof paper needed to be greased, whereas baking paper doesn't.
I have never greased grease proof paper and never had any issues with it.

It amazes me that people just don't know these things. I have been doing this for decades even before Jamie Oliver. Another little trick is to put the tin on top of the baking paper. Draw round the base of the tin then cut from the corner of the paper to the corner of the tin on all four corners. The paper will fit neatly in the tin and you can trim the excess overlapping at the corners.

Oh and use the wrinkled paper to line tart cases for blind baking too. It helps get the baking beans or rice into the crevices easier.