Savvy shopper shares unusual tactic she uses to dodge scams in Temu!

In the digital age, where online shopping has become as commonplace as a trip to the local supermarket, the convenience of clicking to purchase can sometimes be overshadowed by the lurking threat of cyber scams and data privacy concerns.

However, fear not, because there are ways to navigate these digital waters safely, and one Newcastle native has a peculiar yet effective strategy to share.

Kim Cowan, a self-proclaimed Temu enthusiast from Newcastle, NSW, became somewhat of a pioneer in crafting her own method to sidestep potential scammers on the increasingly popular shopping platform.

Temu, which has been around for just over a year, quickly became a go-to source for ultra-affordable household items, clothing, and more.

However, with great deals often comes great scepticism, especially following recent cybersecurity warnings that have put millions of shoppers on high alert.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 095629.jpg
Kim Cowan, shared her method to avoid scams when buying from Temu during a segment on the Sunrise show. Credits: Facebook / Sunrise

During a segment with consumer expert Shaun White on the Sunrise show, Cowan revealed her unique approach to maintaining her online safety.

Her trick? She uses PayPal or Afterpay for transactions and makes a point of deleting the Temu app after each purchase.

‘I actually just Google first what I like and if I want to buy anything, I’ll download the app (for each purchase),’ Cowan explained.

‘I’ll go into the app then and purchase the items, but I will sit them in my cart for a couple of days. You will get an email to say that stock is low. So if I go on then, and I buy it, I pay by Afterpay or PayPal.’

‘I wait until I get a tracking number for Australia Post, then I delete the app,’ she continued.

While this method is not endorsed for shoppers with security concerns, it's an interesting tactic that underscores the lengths some consumers will go to protect their personal information.

It's worth noting that Cowan has snagged some impressive bargains through Temu, including dresses for around $40, which speaks to the allure of the platform's budget-friendly offerings.

‘The dresses, you’re not buying anything really over $40. This dress, $13.86. And I think it’s nice, it’s bright, it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s obviously what I like,’ Cowan said.

Temu's business model, which allows consumers to buy directly from manufacturers, certainly helps keep prices low; however, the recent scrutiny over security concerns cannot be ignored.

The company, owned by PDD Holdings and originally started in Shanghai before moving its headquarters to Ireland, has faced growing concerns about the data it collects from purchases.

Cybersecurity expert Susan McLean expressed her worries about the privacy risks for customers.

‘I think every time you use online purchases or online shopping, there is a risk—we’ve seen that with other platforms being hacked over the years,’ she said.

‘We know that Temu, for example, is collecting a lot of data—it’s not hard to find that out.’

‘But the problem is people simply download the app and click “I accept” without understanding what they’re actually accepting,’ she added.

McLean also criticised the bombardment of customers with follow-up emails post-purchase.

‘I think that is one of their methods of keeping you engaged,’ she speculated.

‘Once you’ve made that one purchase, then you are bombarded, and it’s in the hope that the next product they send you might spike an interest.’

In response to these concerns, Temu stated that it does not sell customer data and that its data practices are ‘in line with industry standards’.

‘Temu collects information for the sole purpose of providing and enhancing its e-commerce service to users. Temu does not ask for system permissions to access things like your photos, contacts, or location. Temu does not share financial data with vendors,’ the company explained.

‘At Temu, we prioritise the protection of privacy and are transparent about our data practices.’

Temu stated that it collaborates with its online marketplace sellers to eliminate items that do not correspond to their descriptions.

‘Temu is an online marketplace connecting consumers directly with manufacturers. We work closely with these sellers to ensure that their products are as described, and we have a comprehensive vetting, monitoring and reporting system to ensure that non-compliant products are identified and promptly taken down at any stage of the purchase journey,’ Temu added.

Temu boasts over 80,000 suppliers and stands as the rapidly expanding online retail leader in Australia.

Introduced to the Australian market in April 2023, the app has swiftly ascended to become the eighth-largest online retail brand based on audience size.

Ipsos data revealed that in June alone, Temu garnered over 9.2 million registered users.
Key Takeaways
  • A Newcastle shopper, Kim Cowan, shared her personal method to avoid scams when buying from Temu, involving the use of payment services like PayPal or Afterpay and deleting the app after each purchase.
  • Cybersecurity experts warned about potential privacy risks for customers using Temu, which can include data misuse, though the company denies such practices.
  • Temu, an online marketplace that has rapidly grown in popularity in Australia, connects consumers directly with manufacturers, allowing for lower prices on a wide range of products.
  • The company reportedly has more than 80,000 suppliers and became the eighth-largest online retail brand in terms of audience size in Australia, with over 9.2 million users registered as of June, according to Ipsos data.
Have you tried buying a product from Temu? Have you ever encountered a scam, or do you have your own unique methods for ensuring your online shopping is secure? Share your stories and advice in the comments below!

Sponsored
I am an avid TEMU shopper. I find the items I buy are better than I expected. I usually buy clothing as being a tall woman 6" the length of sleeves and legs are usually way too short in other clothing but TEMU clothing is awesome and comfortable. I love the prices of the clothing there are good bargains, my cat loves her toys (which are way cheaper than the pet stores), and just everyday items are cheaper.
I only use Afterpay for purchasing for that extra protection. but you can get scammed by alot of other companies when you think about it.

I've purchased heaps from temu.

You need to spend $30 and then you get free postage.
Takes up to 10 days to receive item's

If you don't want or like something you get easy and free returns and refund is quick

Paying via PayPal or afterpay is how I pay. I never use my cards to directly pay on any websites.

Shawn White who interviewed her said you really don't need to delete and download the app everytime

I buy from TEMU quite a lot. If something is wrong they fix it straight away. I have also been refunded if a product is wrong & then they tell me to keep it. I had a parcel I picked up 3days ago, when I opened it one of the bottles had leaked. I told them yesterday & they refunded me the amount it cost & told me to keep it. Now you cannot get much fairer than that. They do not have my bank details, I pay by PayPal. I have also bought from SHEIN, 3 lovely frocks. All under or around the $20 mark. Good quality. All the tops I have bought from TEMU are good quality & all between $8 to $13. Fabulous value. I will continue to buy from TEMU. Everything is a bargain.

I highly recommend using PayPal and have already advised all my friends.
It's so much safer not giving your bank details to everyone and their staff have been great in assisting me with several issues when I did not receive or had to return items.

Reactions: Fanger and PattiB
I have bought a lot from Temu without any problems, apart from being bombarded with emails, but they have now upped the amount you must spend from $35 to$55, so I don’t bother going on the site anymore

Reactions: Leanne D and PattiB
I have bought a lot from Temu without any problems, apart from being bombarded with emails, but they have now upped the amount you must spend from $35 to$55, so I don’t bother going on the site anymore
If you contact them and tell them you will not buy when you have a minimum spend they will wipe the minimum spend for you.

Reactions: Colette 3799
I have bought many items from Temu and I’m talking about 50 plus, the clothing colours are amazing and they feel and look great. I have only had 2 items that weren’t quite right but they instantly gave me a full refund and told me to keep the item. I only ever pay with PayPal if a company doesn’t accept PayPal I don’t buy. PayPal always have my back.

Just let them know you can't deal with them anymore as the limit is too high they will drop it again.

I use Temu regularly. Most products I have purchased have been good value for money and for those I’m not sure on, they give you free returns. I’ve also never paid for post on purchases. Their pop ups after sale are a nuisance, but just ignore them.

Reactions: Leanne D