Savvy Shopper Scores Prawns for NEXT to NOTHING - Here's how you can too!

We here at the Seniors Discount Club love nothing more than uncovering secret hacks and savings tips – especially when they involve delicious food items!

If you’re a seafood lover and are looking to save a penny or two, then we’ve got great news for you!

You may know that Black Tiger Prawns XL are usually sold for $28 per kilogram, but what if we told you that you could purchase three kilograms of prawns for just $4.50?

You read that right, folks! We bet you didn’t know that you could score such a great bargain — and it only takes knowing the right place and time to buy.

The savvy Coles shopper took to the Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook group to happily share her impressive purchase of 3kg of Black Tiger Prawns XL which she managed to score it all for only $4.50 — down from its original price tag of $90 — while doing some last-minute shopping for the holidays on December 24 last year.

320925610_912995163045207_5841128771919636359_n.jpg
The mum managed to score a massive deal when she purchased a pack of 3kg of Black Tiger Prawns XL for $4.50 instead of its original price of $90 from her local Coles. Credit: Facebook/Markdown Addicts Australia.

Of course, with such a huge markdown, many other members of the Facebook group were as equally impressed as they were intrigued. Some people even asked about the expiration date of the product, pointing out that there might be a drawback from the massive deal.

One person asked: 'I see that as a bargain but when is the use-by date? Are they bad already?'

Other experienced members and former Coles employees quickly answered the question, with some of them explaining the store policy about deli items.

Apparently, frozen seafood is typically sold within three days after being taken out of the freezer. So since the store was closed on Christmas Day, the prawns must have been out for more than three days in the fridge.

And knowing for sure that the retailer isn’t going to sell the seafood items anytime soon — as customers would have to find Coles open for shopping — it was inevitable for them to be ‘wasted’.

A group of former Coles employees confirmed saying, 'It's up to the manager in the deli section to mark down any excess items if they need to clear some space. It depends on the manager – some will mark them as per company policy and others might give you a little extra for some goodwill.'

'The closures are the golden time for bargain hunters!'

Another one added: 'They may have overestimated the number of boxes of prawns to get out of the freezer, which can't be put back in the freezer or left in the cool room for effectively 2 days. Food safety rules are very tight in the deli.'

'It's the manager's discretion how much the items are marked down,' one more person said, adding: 'Company policy is to mark down 48 hours out by 10%, then 20% the next day and then from there it's up to the department or store manager to mark it down further.'

'Most markdowns come under waste, everyday a report is generated for the previous day and week-to-date waste totals. Waste totals are a part of a manager's yearly KPI and can be the difference between a bonus and no bonus,' they went on to say.

Others took the opportunity to praise the mum for her massive score.

One person exclaimed: 'Hands down, this (with the prawns) is the winner of the "bargain of the year" award!'

'Oh so jealous, that's a good price. We paid full price the other day and my husband and I just ate almost 3 kilograms tonight,' another woman shared.

Key Takeaways

• Supermarkets will often mark down deli items a few days before the expiry date to avoid having to throw items away.
  • Coles has a policy for discounted products with 10% off 48 hours before their expiry date, 20% off the day before their expiry date, and up to the store manager's discretion after that.
  • It is possible to score huge savings on items like prawns if you keep an eye out for discounted items at the deli counter.

You heard it here, members! When you're shopping for groceries before the holidays (that could potentially cause shop closures), we highly advise keeping your eyes peeled for any marked-down items in the deli section or the frozen aisle — you never know what amazing deals you might find!

So, have you ever had a story similar to the lucky Coles shopper? Share your great markdown finds in the comments below!

Sponsored
Worst thing to buy is seafood that is not fresh. I've purchased full price prawns that haven't been that fresh.

I stay clear off reduced sea food and chicken these products are the worst for food poisoning.

Buying on the 24th they may have cleared out due to being closed the next day so may have been OK, if this is the case then good on her for her find

sorry,but I don't consider that a bargain,,,seafood like that is scary,,I won't buy seafood from any super market,no matter what the price

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci
I never buy defrosted seafood. I always ask the people to give me frozen one, that way I know that it’s good, since they are snap frozen when they are caught.

Reactions: Ricci