Savvy Coles shopper swears by genius food storage trick

In an era where every cent counts, savvy shoppers are always on the lookout for ways to stretch their grocery budget.

One Coles customer has taken to social media to share a brilliant food storage tip that not only saves money but also reduces food waste—a win-win for both your wallet and the environment.

The tip, which quickly went viral, involves a clever use of lemons, an everyday staple in many Australian kitchens. Lemons are versatile, but they can be pricey, and their shelf life isn't always generous.

This Coles shopper, however, found a way to make the most of a good deal on lemons and shared her method with the Simple Savers Facebook group, much to the delight of budget-conscious foodies.

The shopper's journey began with a simple need for a lemon, which was priced at $1.39 each at Coles.

However, she spotted a multipack of five lemons for just $2.50 and made the economical decision to purchase the pack instead.

But what do you do with the excess lemons to prevent them from going bad?

That's where her genius trick comes in.

Once home, she grated the lemon rind and squeezed the juice into ice cube trays, a method that not only preserves the freshness but also portions the lemon for future use.

Untitled design_20240415_081301_0000 (1).png
Each year Aussies waste around 312kg of food per person, which can cost up to $2,500 per household. Image Source: Facebook / Simple Savers Facebook Group

For those with arthritis or difficulty squeezing lemons, the shopper added a helpful tip: ‘It helps cutting the lemons in half and heating them for about 30 seconds in the microwave. So much more juice and also softer, and easier to squeeze.’

After freezing the juice into cubes, she stored them in zip-lock bags in the freezer, making sure that she squeezed out as much air as possible to maintain freshness.

The zest followed suit, finding a new home in the freezer for later culinary adventures.

The response to this simple lemon trick was overwhelming, with over a thousand reactions and comments on social media. People were not only impressed but also inspired to share their own food storage secrets.

One user commented, ‘So good! Freezing my produce and so many other things has saved me money this year.’ Another user added, ‘This is genius ! Thank you !’

Another shared that they freeze whole lemons and zest them as needed, defrosting them for juicing, which they find less messy and more flavourful.

The conversation didn't stop at lemons. Other savvy savers chimed in with their own tips, such as dehydrating lemon peels to make a powder for seasoning fish, freezing ginger and garlic for easy grating, and even using lemon juice to make homemade limoncello or candied lemon slices.

One person revealed they do the same freezer trick with concentrated tomato paste, dishing it out into ice cube trays to freeze, which is a cost-effective alternative to buying smaller, more expensive containers.

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper has shared a cost-saving tip to avoid food waste, maximising the use of excess lemons purchased in a multipack.
  • She suggests grating the zest and freezing the lemon juice in ice cube trays, with zest stored separately in a zip-lock bag in the freezer.
  • The Facebook post about the lemon storage hack received over a thousand reactions and many comments, with people calling the idea 'genius’.
  • Other shoppers were inspired to share their food preservation tips, including freezing ginger and garlic and making lemon peel powder for seasoning.

Don't forget these clever tips next time you find yourself with more produce than you can use.

Freezing, dehydrating, and repurposing food can transform the way you store and use your groceries, leading to significant savings over time.

Looking for more ways you can make your food last longer? Check out our article on this ancient secret to preserve food for months!

Want to use those lemons today? Try this recipe for lemon pepper wings shared by our member @Babybird!

Have you tried any of these food storage tips? Do you have any of your own to share? We'd love to hear how you make the most of your groceries and keep your budget in check. Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I do that and I even freeze herbs Kmart has a bigger ice cub it only has 4 but is good for herbs I even freeze gravy in them I live on my own and it is handy if you only need a small amount

I have to say that l waste very little. I freeze lots of things. Shallots, capsicum, celery, herbs, berries, cheese that l grate myself. And much more. I cook larger amounts of meals and freeze them in seperate containers.

Geez, I would never have thought of freezing anything that I have an excess of!!!! Where do all these ? Brainiacs get all these ideas from? Surely not from the generations of us who have gone before and have been doing these ? Tips FOREVER.