Savvy ALDI shopper reveals her secrets to saving $15,000 a year on groceries

A Melbourne mum has found the secret to saving a fortune on groceries, and it'll change the way you think about meal prep forever!

Alison Said was spending a whopping $400 a week on groceries and takeout before she made the budget-friendly switch to meal prepping two years ago.

The mum admitted that she only tried out meal prepping in a bid to save a few extra dollars, save on time, and reduce food waste.

She said: “I started meal prepping back in 2020 when I was on maternity leave."

“I was really motivated to become a better cook for my kids, provide them with meals they would actually eat, while saving money for my family."

Now, her food bill is a fraction of that amount, and her family saves a staggering $15,000 a year as a result!

“It’s become a way of life and has helped us save around $15k yearly,” she shared.

The mum-of-two revealed that it now only costs her $14.20 a day to feed her family.

7O1rpI1pg-_F4PPW4om_SFhQkfYu0lXAj1pe5TH2xErX6-hYI4lB5HxIVCeEmvUPmgLraS5pNkClLWa57ihm2cUUpWb3_8hlvHsXhIV1By-8GafD08ewPEfP0Lg1yu7UZtkr99iuQ0sPchhp

The mum-of-two said that she managed to cut down her spending on groceries by following simple tricks. Credit: Alison Said.

So, how did Alison manage to cut down her weekly food budget so dramatically?

Aside from meal prepping, the savvy mum said that she does her "bargain" shopping at ALDI, claiming that the German retailer has some of the best deals in comparison to other supermarket chains.

Alison explained: “I always shop whatever I can at Aldi first, as the prices are always cheaper."

“Whatever I can’t get from there, I’ll browse the weekly specials from Coles and Woolworths to see if they have what I need."

“If you check the catalogues before and make a solid plan, it can save you loads.”

The mum also shared some of her best tips for bargain hunting and storing essentials.

She noted: “I never pay full price, and always raid the catalogues for bargains."

“I’ll always stock up discounted meat and shop the market in bulk. We also use a vacuum seal machine to store our meat in the freezer for longer."

“Shop the local fruit and veggie shops and also buy produce that’s in season, as it’s much cheaper.”

“If you have unused bread approaching the expiry date, freeze it. Use for lunch box sandwiches or toasties."

“I organise my pantry, fridge and freezer regularly, so we create more space for bulk-buys and can easily see what we already have and don’t waste food."

oMYj8lQCa2s43U2iyOvj3c_mvYbsHQ2n-xGmX77hQhzGRCUHL-RDz78-H9113FjvfhKpnMC1YUgJgco8o-GEJkZ96v0JDUrtJUHFkflpCy_5VQ0JvqV8GbWbQXCAg8wjewyezX-CfoMsUbm2

Alison’s top tips for saving money on groceries include preparing your meals ahead of time. Credit: Alison Said.

Another tip that the mum shared is to prepare the ingredients ahead of time so you will be "forced" to make your own meals instead of getting tempted to order food online.

“Chop fruit and vegetables ahead of time, it will help avoid the temptation of ordering takeaway,” she suggested.

Alison also advised keeping your meals simple and budget-friendly as complicated meals can rack up costs.

“Dishes like spaghetti bolognese, pasta bakes and nachos are always cheap and go down well.”

“I also enjoy whipping up homemade pies, and I’ll buy a roast chicken to use for wraps. The leftovers can be saved for future meals."

“Simple sandwiches for the kids to take to school are a great time and money saver, and I will also incorporate leftovers from dinner to bulk up their lunch boxes."

“I can still make my children’s lunches look exciting and colourful on a budget.”

bihpsXHoQkjcCxpBnUrjdAEzi3VVuAtg20sHFvpgn3N4EgoNqIJpPRWVr3Zxs8zsCB2sLmP9oqh_6wFvOV_NuEGTYTctaZqjmQNt_tjOYz6b4_ouYVCQM94jI2d01eMY8wRTZFqsIt7jae0h

The mum also recommended keeping your meals simple and budget-friendly. Credit: Alison Said.

Finally, the mum recommended that you never do your grocery shopping while you are hungry.

Alison said: “Never go shopping when you’re hungry."

"It’s better not to be rushed and distracted, as it will save you from throwing whatever you can in the trolley."

ALISON’S TOP FIVE TIPS FOR REDUCING GROCERY BILLS

1. Don’t buy full price if you can avoid it, always wait until it’s on special

2. Stock up on certain food items like meat when it’s on sale and freeze for later

3. Shop at the local green grocers for a better deal on fruit and vegetables

4. Invest in a vacuum sealing machine to keep food fresher for longer

5. Never go food shopping on an empty stomach

Source: Alison Said/news.com.au

If you're looking to cut down on your spending, these tips are definitely the way to go. With just a little bit of planning, you could be saving yourself a fortune on your weekly food bill!

Will you be giving these recommendations a go? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below! We also recommend checking out the Money Saving Hacks section of the SDC website for more budget planning tips!

Sponsored
Cancel the Takeaway
A Melbourne mum has found the secret to saving a fortune on groceries, and it'll change the way you think about meal prep forever!

Alison Said was spending a whopping $400 a week on groceries and takeout before she made the budget-friendly switch to meal prepping two years ago.

The mum admitted that she only tried out meal prepping in a bid to save a few extra dollars, save on time, and reduce food waste.

She said: “I started meal prepping back in 2020 when I was on maternity leave."

“I was really motivated to become a better cook for my kids, provide them with meals they would actually eat, while saving money for my family."

Now, her food bill is a fraction of that amount, and her family saves a staggering $15,000 a year as a result!

“It’s become a way of life and has helped us save around $15k yearly,” she shared.

The mum-of-two revealed that it now only costs her $14.20 a day to feed her family.

7O1rpI1pg-_F4PPW4om_SFhQkfYu0lXAj1pe5TH2xErX6-hYI4lB5HxIVCeEmvUPmgLraS5pNkClLWa57ihm2cUUpWb3_8hlvHsXhIV1By-8GafD08ewPEfP0Lg1yu7UZtkr99iuQ0sPchhp

The mum-of-two said that she managed to cut down her spending on groceries by following simple tricks. Credit: Alison Said.

So, how did Alison manage to cut down her weekly food budget so dramatically?

Aside from meal prepping, the savvy mum said that she does her "bargain" shopping at ALDI, claiming that the German retailer has some of the best deals in comparison to other supermarket chains.

Alison explained: “I always shop whatever I can at Aldi first, as the prices are always cheaper."

“Whatever I can’t get from there, I’ll browse the weekly specials from Coles and Woolworths to see if they have what I need."

“If you check the catalogues before and make a solid plan, it can save you loads.”

The mum also shared some of her best tips for bargain hunting and storing essentials.

She noted: “I never pay full price, and always raid the catalogues for bargains."

“I’ll always stock up discounted meat and shop the market in bulk. We also use a vacuum seal machine to store our meat in the freezer for longer."

“Shop the local fruit and veggie shops and also buy produce that’s in season, as it’s much cheaper.”

“If you have unused bread approaching the expiry date, freeze it. Use for lunch box sandwiches or toasties."

“I organise my pantry, fridge and freezer regularly, so we create more space for bulk-buys and can easily see what we already have and don’t waste food."

oMYj8lQCa2s43U2iyOvj3c_mvYbsHQ2n-xGmX77hQhzGRCUHL-RDz78-H9113FjvfhKpnMC1YUgJgco8o-GEJkZ96v0JDUrtJUHFkflpCy_5VQ0JvqV8GbWbQXCAg8wjewyezX-CfoMsUbm2

Alison’s top tips for saving money on groceries include preparing your meals ahead of time. Credit: Alison Said.

Another tip that the mum shared is to prepare the ingredients ahead of time so you will be "forced" to make your own meals instead of getting tempted to order food online.

“Chop fruit and vegetables ahead of time, it will help avoid the temptation of ordering takeaway,” she suggested.

Alison also advised keeping your meals simple and budget-friendly as complicated meals can rack up costs.

“Dishes like spaghetti bolognese, pasta bakes and nachos are always cheap and go down well.”

“I also enjoy whipping up homemade pies, and I’ll buy a roast chicken to use for wraps. The leftovers can be saved for future meals."

“Simple sandwiches for the kids to take to school are a great time and money saver, and I will also incorporate leftovers from dinner to bulk up their lunch boxes."

“I can still make my children’s lunches look exciting and colourful on a budget.”

bihpsXHoQkjcCxpBnUrjdAEzi3VVuAtg20sHFvpgn3N4EgoNqIJpPRWVr3Zxs8zsCB2sLmP9oqh_6wFvOV_NuEGTYTctaZqjmQNt_tjOYz6b4_ouYVCQM94jI2d01eMY8wRTZFqsIt7jae0h

The mum also recommended keeping your meals simple and budget-friendly. Credit: Alison Said.

Finally, the mum recommended that you never do your grocery shopping while you are hungry.

Alison said: “Never go shopping when you’re hungry."

"It’s better not to be rushed and distracted, as it will save you from throwing whatever you can in the trolley."

ALISON’S TOP FIVE TIPS FOR REDUCING GROCERY BILLS

1. Don’t buy full price if you can avoid it, always wait until it’s on special

2. Stock up on certain food items like meat when it’s on sale and freeze for later

3. Shop at the local green grocers for a better deal on fruit and vegetables

4. Invest in a vacuum sealing machine to keep food fresher for longer

5. Never go food shopping on an empty stomach

Source: Alison Said/news.com.au

If you're looking to cut down on your spending, these tips are definitely the way to go. With just a little bit of planning, you could be saving yourself a fortune on your weekly food bill!

Will you be giving these recommendations a go? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below! We also recommend checking out the Money Saving Hacks section of the SDC website for more budget planning tips!
Cancel the take away would be probably be 200 a week, my wife and I would not go near 15,000 a year on shopping, let alone save that much, take out or take away is obscenely expensive now days, people think one or two takeaways here and there are not much, for what you get it is very expensive.

I buy bulk where I can, but doesn't always save for a single person, as ends being waste unless you are happy to eat same food all the time, especially fresh products. Food allergies increase cost of products that are staples. Always buy specials. Freeze a lot where bulk buys/specials are appropriate. But I am frugal with money, yet given my situation I can't spend less than 120 a week, and it really annoys me that some of us are forced to pay so much more for health reasons. And I will be on a pension soon.

I ve always done that! I thought it s the "normal" way to do. Then I came to Australia, had an American partner with 3 daughters and noticed how much food they wasted. So I started to change a few things here and there, kept the left overs for school lunch the next day, cooked everything from scratch etc. The girls are now better cooks than I (they were constantly watching MasterChef, Kitchen rules etc), and there s no foodwaste in their families anymore. I just didnt talk about it all out on social media and called myself a genius, I just did it. And ai know the girls will tech their kids and maybe friends a different approach as well.

I ve always done that! I thought it s the "normal" way to do. Then I came to Australia, had an American partner with 3 daughters and noticed how much food they wasted. So I started to change a few things here and there, kept the left overs for school lunch the next day, cooked everything from scratch etc. The girls are now better cooks than I (they were constantly watching MasterChef, Kitchen rules etc), and there s no foodwaste in their families anymore. I just didnt talk about it all out on social media and called myself a genius, I just did it. And ai know the girls will tech their kids and maybe friends a different approach as well.
It is the normal way to things. All my family and friends do the same- its simply common sense. I'm in my 60s and lived here all my life. Think your experience is localised and no doubt, even back in your home, you would find the same, as it is here or any western country. There will always be those who waste!

Isn't amazing what the later generation are now discovering what we did 40, 50 years ago. On the radio this morning one of the crew was talking abut the price of fruit and vegetables and made the comment when we were young, you only had what was in season. Exactly, we weren't importing F&V and causing some farmers to lose because of the cheap imports. And the most important comment, if it is too expensive, DON'T BUY IT.