Savouring memories: Soult Salt's journey from loss to legacy

Content Warning: This article contains descriptions of suicide, which may be distressing to some readers. Discretion is advised.

Amidst the familiar pantry essentials lining the aisles of Woolworths, shoppers will soon encounter a product that carries a poignant tale of loss, hope, and the resilience of community spirit.

Soult, or Salt with Soul, is not just a condiment to enhance the flavours of home-cooked meals; it's a tribute to a life lost too soon and a beacon of support for mental health awareness.

The story began with Adam Mumford, a man who faced the unimaginable grief of losing his brother, Jason Mumford, to suicide in July 2018.

Jason, a 50-year-old father of two, faced personal challenges, including work-related issues and a recent separation from his partner.

Determined to make a difference and honour his brother's memory, Adam created Soult, a salt that comes in four different flavours and also carries a profound mission.

pasted image 0 (8).png
Soult Salt offers four distinct flavours, each symbolising key moments in Adam and Jason's lives. Credit: Soult Salt

‘Each flavour represents a moment in Jason and my life: Lemon Myrtle (our childhood days filled with surfing and sand dunes), Chilli Chocolate (our love of California and Mexico), Rosemary & Garlic (grilling on BBQs and Sunday Roasts), and Salty Sweet (our love of sweets),’ Adam said.

Adam's journey with Soult began with a food van named Chip Inn with Jase, which sold hot chips seasoned with his unique salts.

The venture was a heartfelt nod to a quirky idea Jason had conceived six months before his passing.

The community rallied around the food van, but Adam eventually decided to focus on selling the salts online, where they could reach a wider audience.

In a significant development, Woolworths recognised the value and potential of Soult, agreeing to stock the product in over 200 stores nationwide.

This move by one of Australia's largest supermarket chains was not only a testament to the quality of Adam's product but also a powerful endorsement of his cause.

The profits from Soult are entirely dedicated to supporting mental health organisations such as Headspace and StandBy.

Adam has since completed multiple mental health accreditations and is also working on initiatives like 'share days' and 'table it' concepts, which encourage open conversations about mental health in homes, schools, and workplaces.

Adam initially grappled with the thought of what he could have done differently to prevent his brother's suicide, but he has come to understand that some things are beyond our control.

‘One thing everyone has to understand is that once it is there, it is there. I could have done nothing more in my power at that stage,’ he said.

Despite the devastating blow of his brother's passing, Adam found solace in his newfound drive to make a positive impact on the wider community.

‘I know my brother would be so proud,’ he said.

Adam's story and the mission behind Soult resonate deeply in a country where mental health is a growing concern. It's a reminder that behind every product, there can be a story that touches hearts and inspires change.

Woolworths' decision to stock Soult is a commendable step towards raising awareness and supporting mental health, one flavorful sprinkle at a time.

Additionally, hospitals made a significant stride in supporting the mental well-being of veterans and first responders, aiming to address the challenges encountered by those who have served the country or worked on the front lines.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths will stock a new salt product called Soult—Salt with Soul, developed in memory of Jason Mumford, who took his own life in 2018.
  • Soult donates all its profits to mental health organisations and aims to raise awareness and support for mental health issues.
  • Adam Mumford, Jason's brother, created the product and has contributed over $10,000 to charity partners through sales in just 16 months.
  • The Soult range includes four different flavours, each representing a moment in Jason and Adam's lives, and will be available in more than 200 Woolworths stores nationally.

If you or someone you know is struggling, please reach out to Lifeline at 13 11 14 for support. Remember, you are not alone, and help is available.

What are your thoughts on this initiative? Have you come across a different product that gives back to the community in a similar way? We’d love to hear them in the comments below.

Sponsored
I seldom use salt, but when I see this at my Woolies store I will certainly try one to honour Jason's memory, and to try to help all those poor souls who struggle with mental health.
Flav.

Reactions: Macarj and DLHM
So sad, but if it is in my Woolworths I will get some, don't use salt much but would love to help

Reactions: DLHM