jojo47

Sep 19, 2022
Saving money on cooked meats

I don't buy sliced meat at the deli anymore.
I buy a piece of . For instance
Siverside , Pork, ham when on special, cook it. Then slice it when cold. Then into the freezer it goes ( vacuum sealed)
Much cheaper than deli meat by far.
Tastes better too...😊

Hubby used to love eating lambs fry but freezing lamb fry was hard (ice burn). He bought me a Sunbeam vacuum sealer and it lasted me close to 20 yrs before I had to replace it last year. I was truly a game changer on how I brought fresh food or stored cooked food. Anyway back to the Lambs Fry - would buy the lambs fry and prep all of it for cooking then I would vacuum seal it (single or double) meal size then freeze it. Always defrost in the vacuum bag before opening, as it should be as fresh as if you had just bought it.

Hubby used to love eating lambs fry but freezing lamb fry was hard (ice burn). He bought me a Sunbeam vacuum sealer and it lasted me close to 20 yrs before I had to replace it last year. I was truly a game changer on how I brought fresh food or stored cooked food. Anyway back to the Lambs Fry - would buy the lambs fry and prep all of it for cooking then I would vacuum seal it (single or double) meal size then freeze it. Always defrost in the vacuum bag before opening, as it should be as fresh as if you had just bought it.
I love the vacuum bags. They are a game changer

What are vacuum bags? Sounds like you need an extractor machine as well.
There are 2 different ones on the market that I am aware of. One is a machine that seals the plastic. (kind of like the shape of a laminator) You buy the plastic in rolls and can only be used once. The other is a hand held machine (kind of shaped like an electric razor or a bigger and fatter than a D sized battery) and the bags are reusable.

Great idea.. I'm a big fan of using the freezer and vacuum sealer. Great for meal preparation . Plus very minimal wastage with other foodfoods.es money. Btw I love lambs fry...😊

Reactions: per and Jersey Girl
Yes I do the exact same thing. Been doing this for years now. I bought two small rolled pork loins the other day on special at $7 a kilo. Once cooked I used some for a baked dinner and the remained I cut into thirds and wrapped up in greaseproof paper and then clingwrap and into the freezer. So much nicer than the bought rubbish.

Reactions: Jersey Girl
Great idea.. I'm a big fan of using the freezer and vacuum sealer. Great for meal preparation . Plus very minimal wastage with other foodfoods.es money. Btw I love lambs fry...😊
Me too...hubby and I both loved it. Hard to find sometimes though.

Vacuum sealed food is the way to go whether the family amounts to 2 or 10. Vac seal it, freeze and thaw before taking it out from the sealed bag. Should taste like fresh.

Reactions: Jersey Girl
Me & my better half have been using vacuum seal machines for 20+ years. First one we had (Sunbeam)was quite expensive & you could only use Sunbeams bags / rolls. A couple of years ago we bought one from ALDI, which is very good & uses all sizes of bags. We have always bought our meats in bulk which we separated into meals then vacuum seal & into the chest freezer. This has saved us a fortune over the years. Unfortunately our grown up kids won't do this as it's time consuming, so they shop every day then complain about costs to us but I just tell them to talk to the hand.