Save more on your grocery bill! Seasonal fruit and veggies are now cheaper than ever!

We know times are tough these days, and although the cost of some items is rising, there's still some good news if you're looking to save money on groceries with fresh seasonal produce.

Members, you'll be glad to know that the adequate weather conditions lately have made seasonal fruit and vegetables significantly cheaper than last year.

Compared to last year, there have been big price drops across the board on vegetables at Woolworths–with zucchinis, capsicums, and broccoli all dropping by 50 to 55 per cent!

photo.jpg
Zucchini ($0.58 ea), Capsicum ($0.95 ea), and Broccoli ($1.16 ea) prices are down 50 to 55 per cent at Woolworths. Credit: Woolworths

Over at Coles, vegetables are a whopping 20% cheaper, and you can even find corn for less than $1 and two packs of strawberries for only $5.

Screenshot 2023-08-17 115314.png
Vegetables are 20% cheaper at Coles this year compared to last year. Credit: haireena/Shutterstock

Meat prices may be high in some areas, but things could look up in the coming months.

Paul Turner, the Head of Produce from Woolworths, noted that last year’s, significant rainfall had consequently created an ideal growing environment compared to last year.

‘Mainly driven by the heavy rains that we had and the cooler growing conditions...What we're seeing (now) is great sunshine, really warm temperatures and plenty of water in the dams,’ he said.

Coles spokesperson Martine Alpins added that Coles is committed to delivering great quality fresh produce at amazing prices as more customers are choosing to eat at home to save money.

He pointed out, ‘The fact that they can come in and see fresh produce at really great prices but also fantastic quality is really great news, not only for our customers but for our growers as well.’

Recipes and Meal Planning Based on Seasonal Produce​

Seasonal produce brings a delightful burst of unique flavours and nutrition to your dining table. But how to cook these fruits and veggies? Don't fret; the Seniors Discount Club has got you covered with some fantastic recipe ideas and meal plans!

A simple and light meal could be a Grilled Zucchini and Capsicum Salad, a perfect side dish that can add the right crunch and zing to any main course. Learn how to make it at home here.

grilled-zucchini-haloumi-and-capsicum-salad-5333-1.jpeg
Grilled Zucchini and Capsicum Salad, recipe by Amanda Kelly. Credit: Taste.com

Or take a break from the conventional broccoli salad, and treat yourself to a Creamy Broccoli Soup. It’s hearty, filling, and can liven up a cold evening. You can follow the recipe here.

1662582706387.jpeg
Creamy Broccoli Soup, recipe by The Neelys. Credit: Food Network

For those with a sweet tooth, succulent strawberries can make a tangy Strawberry Basil Jam. This homemade preserve can be a unique toast or sandwich spread, and think about the surprise and joy on your grandkids' faces when they taste this! You can find the recipe here.

Strawberry-Basil-Jam_exps138133_CP143300D02_19_4bC_RMS.jpg
Creamy Broccoli Soup, recipe by Taste of Home. Credit: Taste of Home

When planning the meals, remember to organise them based on the predicted shelf-life of the produce you buy.

Fruits like strawberries, which tend to go bad relatively quickly, can be consumed at the beginning of the week. At the same time, other durable veggies, like zucchini and capsicums, can be stored longer and used later in the weekly meal plan.

So members, get ready to revolutionise your kitchen with seasonal produce!

Key Takeaways
  • Seasonal fruit and vegetables are significantly cheaper than a year ago due to favourable weather conditions.
  • Zucchinis, capsicums, and broccoli are between 50 and 55 per cent cheaper at Woolworths, while corn is less than $1, and strawberries are $5 for two packs at Coles.
  • Better growing conditions resulting from last year’s unusual rainfall are behind the price dip, according to Paul Turner, Head of Produce at Woolworths.
  • Coles is noticing more customers choosing to eat at home, and they can offer fresh produce at great prices and quality, benefiting both their customers and growers.

If you're planning to buy fresh produce, whether online or in-person, check out Woolworths or Coles’ website for a list of what's in season right now. You could save a big chunk of change in the process!

And of course, our Cooking & Recipes forum is always open for inspiration and added recipes you could find useful.

What is your favourite seasonal produce, dear members? Do you have a recipe you can share? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Buyer beware. Produce may be cheaper than it was, but lifespan is terrible, compared to buying at the market. You are lucky to get 5 day out of supermarket product compared to 2 weeks from markets, and the larger markets are still cheaper than the supermarkets. Any prepackaged item is bound to have poor quality good, especially potatoes and fruit. Make sure you pick you own.

Reactions: Ricci
Woolworths has reduced their 4kg potatoes from $9 to $7
Cauliflowers are cheap but so small
Broccoli 🥦 is a good buy atm as is carrots

I'm loving cooking again with a variety of products
Our woollies has just upped potatoes to $3-90 a kg leeks $3 each apples $7 kg not cheap by any means. Just a sample.

Buyer beware. Produce may be cheaper than it was, but lifespan is terrible, compared to buying at the market. You are lucky to get 5 day out of supermarket product compared to 2 weeks from markets, and the larger markets are still cheaper than the supermarkets. Any prepackaged item is bound to have poor quality good, especially potatoes and fruit. Make sure you pick you own.
Nonsense! I have purchased produce at markets that I had to throw out after about two days and I have purchased produce in supermarkets that was still perfect after several weeks.

A lot depends on when the harvest took place - keeping in mind that many fruit and vegetables are harvested just ONCE a year! Storage from harvest to being available at the greengrocer/supermarket is another key issue, as is, of course, the lifespan of the produce itself.

Sometimes I go to the Fyshwick markets here in Canberra and on a Sunday afternoon when unsold produce is removed and put into cold storage where is remains until the markets open again on Thursday.

Reactions: Ricki
Our woollies has just upped potatoes to $3-90 a kg leeks $3 each apples $7 kg not cheap by any means. Just a sample.
I bought a 5 kg bag of washed potatoes at Costco yesterday $6.99.

Happy that the fruit and vegetables have gone down in price at Woollies, Coles and Aldi . I bought a very large cauliflower at Woolies for $ 3.- and cheaper broccoli at Coles and with some other vegetables I still had in the fridge and some chicken breasts I made a big pot with healthy soup , like a meal , got 8 serves from that .
Also went to the markets on Sunday where I bought bananas for $ 2.49 /kg and more vegetables . I usually buy my strawberries at the local strawberry farm and they taste a lot better and last also much longer as the ones from the shop. Also they are fully ripe , no white, unripe bits on the top, so nothing get wasted . (y) :love:.
The problem we have now that the petrol prices are still very high , would it really help if that war is going to stop ? :mad:.

Only using Woolies for general shopping now. Recently found a good local fruit and veg place. Very nice stuff there, fresh and reasonably priced. It also supplies about 200 restaurants.

Reactions: Mina vriesekolk
We know times are tough these days, and although the cost of some items is rising, there's still some good news if you're looking to save money on groceries with fresh seasonal produce.

Members, you'll be glad to know that the adequate weather conditions lately have made seasonal fruit and vegetables significantly cheaper than last year.

Compared to last year, there have been big price drops across the board on vegetables at Woolworths–with zucchinis, capsicums, and broccoli all dropping by 50 to 55 per cent!

View attachment 27653
Zucchini ($0.58 ea), Capsicum ($0.95 ea), and Broccoli ($1.16 ea) prices are down 50 to 55 per cent at Woolworths. Credit: Woolworths

Over at Coles, vegetables are a whopping 20% cheaper, and you can even find corn for less than $1 and two packs of strawberries for only $5.

View attachment 27657
Vegetables are 20% cheaper at Coles this year compared to last year. Credit: haireena/Shutterstock

Meat prices may be high in some areas, but things could look up in the coming months.

Paul Turner, the Head of Produce from Woolworths, noted that last year’s, significant rainfall had consequently created an ideal growing environment compared to last year.

‘Mainly driven by the heavy rains that we had and the cooler growing conditions...What we're seeing (now) is great sunshine, really warm temperatures and plenty of water in the dams,’ he said.

Coles spokesperson Martine Alpins added that Coles is committed to delivering great quality fresh produce at amazing prices as more customers are choosing to eat at home to save money.

He pointed out, ‘The fact that they can come in and see fresh produce at really great prices but also fantastic quality is really great news, not only for our customers but for our growers as well.’

Recipes and Meal Planning Based on Seasonal Produce​

Seasonal produce brings a delightful burst of unique flavours and nutrition to your dining table. But how to cook these fruits and veggies? Don't fret; the Seniors Discount Club has got you covered with some fantastic recipe ideas and meal plans!

A simple and light meal could be a Grilled Zucchini and Capsicum Salad, a perfect side dish that can add the right crunch and zing to any main course. Learn how to make it at home here.

View attachment 27656
Grilled Zucchini and Capsicum Salad, recipe by Amanda Kelly. Credit: Taste.com

Or take a break from the conventional broccoli salad, and treat yourself to a Creamy Broccoli Soup. It’s hearty, filling, and can liven up a cold evening. You can follow the recipe here.

View attachment 27655
Creamy Broccoli Soup, recipe by The Neelys. Credit: Food Network

For those with a sweet tooth, succulent strawberries can make a tangy Strawberry Basil Jam. This homemade preserve can be a unique toast or sandwich spread, and think about the surprise and joy on your grandkids' faces when they taste this! You can find the recipe here.

View attachment 27654
Creamy Broccoli Soup, recipe by Taste of Home. Credit: Taste of Home

When planning the meals, remember to organise them based on the predicted shelf-life of the produce you buy.

Fruits like strawberries, which tend to go bad relatively quickly, can be consumed at the beginning of the week. At the same time, other durable veggies, like zucchini and capsicums, can be stored longer and used later in the weekly meal plan.

So members, get ready to revolutionise your kitchen with seasonal produce!

Key Takeaways

• Seasonal fruit and vegetables are significantly cheaper than a year ago due to favourable weather conditions.
  • Zucchinis, capsicums, and broccoli are between 50 and 55 per cent cheaper at Woolworths, while corn is less than $1, and strawberries are $5 for two packs at Coles.
  • Better growing conditions resulting from last year’s unusual rainfall are behind the price dip, according to Paul Turner, Head of Produce at Woolworths.
  • Coles is noticing more customers choosing to eat at home, and they can offer fresh produce at great prices and quality, benefiting both their customers and growers.

If you're planning to buy fresh produce, whether online or in-person, check out Woolworths or Coles’ website for a list of what's in season right now. You could save a big chunk of change in the process!

And of course, our Cooking & Recipes forum is always open for inspiration and added recipes you could find useful.

What is your favourite seasonal produce, dear members? Do you have a recipe you can share? Let us know in the comments below!
Yeah let's rejoice Coles and Woolworths aren't ripping of the customers 🙄 PIGS ARSE

• Love
Reactions: Leenie
Happy that the fruit and vegetables have gone down in price at Woollies, Coles and Aldi . I bought a very large cauliflower at Woolies for $ 3.- and cheaper broccoli at Coles and with some other vegetables I still had in the fridge and some chicken breasts I made a big pot with healthy soup , like a meal , got 8 serves from that .
Also went to the markets on Sunday where I bought bananas for $ 2.49 /kg and more vegetables . I usually buy my strawberries at the local strawberry farm and they taste a lot better and last also much longer as the ones from the shop. Also they are fully ripe , no white, unripe bits on the top, so nothing get wasted . (y) :love:.
The problem we have now that the petrol prices are still very high , would it really help if that war is going to stop ? :mad:.
No.